Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Battlefield series

Old 03-09-2010, 04:36 PM   #1
TylerCiggy

Red face I found the real performance problem.

****** DOWNGRADE YOUR SOUNDCARD FREQUENCY SAMPLE RATE TO 44KHZ AT 16BIT *****

The next are tips that are not very well confirmed to work, some says they feel a diference, some others dont.

UNINSTALL AC3 FILTER

CLOSE AS MOST AS YOU CAN BEFORE PLAY THE GAME (specially web browsers and disable antivirus)

FOR ATI VIDCARDS, DISABLE CATALYST AI (in the 3D section in the advanced Catalyst Control Center).

TEST FORCING DIFFERENT TYPES OF DX, because I have better performance in DX11 than in DX9 (ATI 4870, I know doesnt support DX11, but I had better framerates, ok ? :P)

--------------INSTRUCTIONS TO DOWN THE SAMPLERATE-----------

@To Win 7 users

1.- Go to control panel
2.- Go to SOUND option
3.- Doble click in your audio current output
4.- Go to advanced options
5.- Change your sample rate to the lowest.

@To XP users

1.- Go to control panel
2.- Go to Sound & Audio Devices
3.- Click the Audio Section Propierties
4.- In the Sound Play section, click in the "Advanced Properties" button
5.- In performance tap, downgrade the "convertion quality sample rate" or something like that (I have Spanish Windows :P)

6.- Give it a try and let us know if you can feel the boost frame rate

I won't bother you telling the story, but the fact is that I know the real problem issue with this game and is the sound.

I have an Intel T2400 (1.8ghz yonah core duo), ATI 4870@4830 and 3gb of ram, Win 7, 2 hard drives (in one separated of the SO I have the swap file). Yes, I know I have a laptop CPU, but is a Desktop PC.

With this specs, I have no troubles of running every kind of games, yeah, even with the vidcard underclocked. Battlefield were supposed to be the exception.

It doesnt matter if I have 800x600 with everything in low or 1280x1024 with everything in high, neither if I have underclocked my vidcard or overclocked, the FPS at most, increasease in 5fps (in maps that there is no snow, I usually have 20fps, and 30fps in single player).

In a snow map with 32 players, I had usually 10fps, but then, I disabled my soundcard (completly) FOR TESTING PURPOSES. I have a realtek hd, and wow, performance incremented to 50fps.

So I downgrade the soundcard sample rate to 44khz@16bits and uninstalled AC3 Filter, now I have greater performance (from 30 to 40fps where I was having 20).

The real problem is that the game uses A LOT the CPU to play sounds.

I still need to prove the headphones sound config (I had it in "HI-FI"), but the real problem seems to be the game using "software sound drivers" instead of "hardware sound drivers" or having a lot much compressed the audio sounds.

Maybe if we can uncompress the sound we can have better performance.

Last edited by TylerCiggy: 03-19-2010 at 02:56 AM.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:38 PM   #2
omnithrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerCiggy View Post
Yes, I know I have a laptop CPU, but is a Desktop PC.
I think I just found your problem.

Quote:
Minimum:
Processor: Core 2 Duo @ 2.0GHz
You're not even close, pal.
omnithrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:43 PM   #3
muzzl3_fl4sh

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnithrope View Post
I think I just found your problem.

You're not even close, pal.
Bit harsh, but still funny and true
muzzl3_fl4sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:45 PM   #4
sbarkeri

Quote:
The real problem is that the game uses A LOT the CPU.
Ahhh, got straight through to Sherlock here.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
soldier1969

wow who plays at those resolutions still ? your missing out if your not playing with at least 1920 x 1080 or better! and a quad cpu with dx 11 card!
soldier1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:52 PM   #6
Filter2

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerCiggy View Post
The real problem is that the game uses A LOT the CPU.
Thats why a quadcore CPU is recommended to play the game. Dual core CPU's are getting older, quadcores are going to be required for next gen games. Dual core CPUs simply can't handle these new games. In order to play great games like BFBC2, you need a nice computer. Your processor is running at 1.8GHz and your video card isn't amazing, thats why you have such low FPS.

Personally, 20 FPS is way too low to even play a game like this. I need at least 35 FPS to play a game, and even thats pushing it.

You need a new rig.
Filter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:56 PM   #7
TylerCiggy

Of course greater processor translate in better performance, but I've been reading about people with quad cores having low fps (I got 35fps with this ty 1.8 and they get 40 ? big change! ¬_¬).
Old 03-09-2010, 04:57 PM   #8
supertron421

Banned
OMFG U ARE TEH WIN!!! I set realtek sound output to what you said and put bc2game.exe to the AC3 filter exceptions list and now im getting an awesome fps boost. Thanks
supertron421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:02 PM   #9
jacobignagni

How do i disable realtek?
Old 03-09-2010, 05:02 PM   #10
RockPaperNinja

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldier1969 View Post
wow who plays at those resolutions still ? your missing out if your not playing with at least 1920 x 1080 or better! and a quad cpu with dx 11 card!
First off, don't listen to this kid, he obviously is spoiled or just stupid.

But you do need a better CPU... Don't bother getting a new dual core, go for a quad if your mobo can handle one, I get low fps with a dual core 2.5

Now, reguarding your issue, I'm having trouble understanding- did you disable your audio completely? The sound effects in this game are amazing IMO..

lol..Also, don't be like these dorks and start thinking your video card is "old".. because it isn't.

Just a side note for people reading this, stop calling it a "Gaming Rig" please. It's a computer, you aren't setting up a concert with your PC.
RockPaperNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:03 PM   #11
omnithrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobignagni View Post
What operating system?

In win 7: right click on your sound icon in the tray, choose playback devices, find the realtek hardware, right click, disable.
omnithrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:03 PM   #12
Maizel

Quote:
Usually in your BIOS, If Im corrrect.

But not all motherboards use realtek, mine for example, uses Soundmax.
Maizel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:04 PM   #13
jacobignagni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maizel View Post
Usually in your BIOS, If Im corrrect.

But not all motherboards use realtek, mine for example, uses Soundmax.
Will i still get audio if i disable it? I would rather play the game with audio at 30 fps then without at 60fps
Old 03-09-2010, 05:06 PM   #14
Maizel

Quote:
Will i still get audio if i disable it? I would rather play the game with audio at 30 fps then without at 60fps
If you have your realtek sound thingie as your output driver you will not have sound. Do you have a seperate soundcard?

I use a Soundbaster Xfi for my output, and my Soundmax onvoard device for my input, because my Xfi mic port seems broken.
Maizel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:07 PM   #15
TylerCiggy

Wait a second, read well

I disabled the soundcard for testing purpouses. When I had from 10fps to 20fps, I got almost constant 50fps (in a multiplayer map with 32 players).

Of course, you need sound. So I downgrade the samplerate of my soundcard (it was 48khz with 24bit to 44khz at 16bit) and unistalled AC3 filter (wich was kind of filter to all sound), then I got my GREAT fps boost.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Battlefield series