Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Torchlight series

Old 03-10-2010, 02:19 AM   #1
Golden Void

Binding the function keys

I have never managed to get this to work! I open my mini-skill panel, mouse-over a skill and press a function key (F3 it was). It then seems to map it fine, since "F3" now appears on the skill icon there (and also in my main skill tree where you spend points).

However, when I press F3, I hear a sound (one I've not heard the game make anywhere else before), but nothing happens. Unmapped function keys don't make this new sound, so it must mean something.

Any advice?
Old 03-10-2010, 07:43 AM   #2
immensewok

The function keys should replace the skill on right mouse button with the bound skill, not actually cast/use the skill. I don't find that very useful but there it is.
You may also want to check that you're actually pressing F5 and not brightness down or whatever. Some keyboards have a function key to toggle between F1-12 and assorted special functions.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:42 AM   #3
Golden Void

Quote:
Originally Posted by immensewok View Post
The function keys should replace the skill on right mouse button with the bound skill, not actually cast/use the skill. I don't find that very useful but there it is.
Huh? While that would certainly explain my symptom, that is spectacularly useless functionality.
Golden Void is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:50 AM   #4
kyiori

Yes, because it's useless to you means it serves no purpose to anyone else... I don't really use it either though.
kyiori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:06 PM   #5
unit335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Void View Post
Huh? While that would certainly explain my symptom, that is spectacularly useless functionality.
Don't worry. I was confused by this too. ("Why isn't the farkin spell casting...!?") It's an awkward system -- especially when used together with the TAB spell changey thingie. But you will get used to it after a while. Honest.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:17 PM   #6
thinsoldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit335 View Post
Don't worry. I was confused by this too. ("Why isn't the farkin spell casting...!?") It's an awkward system -- especially when used together with the TAB spell changey thingie. But you will get used to it after a while. Honest.
I still hate it.

This game (like most software) needs more options so people can configure it for maximum fun!
thinsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:48 PM   #7
unit335

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinsoldier View Post
I still hate it.

This game (like most software) needs more options so people can configure it for maximum fun!
Well, your options are more than you might think if all you are looking for are in-game menus and such. For example, here is a keybinding guide.

You might also find a mod to change things better to your liking.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Torchlight series