Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Old 03-10-2010, 07:32 PM   #1
Dekertt927

Retail to STEAM games

Sorry, don't know if this is right forum.

Can I get retail games, namely Battlefield 2, how do I get it to be in STEAM? Thought there was a way to do this. I do get prompted to put in a cd key and all but it tells me it isn't recognized for some reason.

Any advice?
Old 03-10-2010, 07:34 PM   #2
airblad3

No, only a certain games can be added. BF2 is not the case.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...7480-WUSF-3601

Last edited by airblad3: 03-10-2010 at 07:36 PM.
airblad3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:40 PM   #3
Dekertt927

Thank you. Thought I knew someone who did it.
Dekertt927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:02 PM   #4
azzonie

Why would you want BFBC2 over steam when you can get it without? For this game Steam is just a glorified downloader and does nothing else. Steam version will take a lot longer to launch the game and then you have to rely on Steam actually being up plus the EA servers. With Steam the game will have to log in 2 times, once for Steam and once for EA. Real pain in the .

You can add a short cut to BF2 so you can launch it from the Steam interface if you want but it can not be added to a Steam account like BFBC2 can.
azzonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:05 PM   #5
natemckn

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzonie View Post
Why would you want BFBC2 over steam when you can get it without? For this game Steam is just a glorified downloader and does nothing else. Steam version will take a lot longer to launch the game and then you have to rely on Steam actually being up plus the EA servers. With Steam the game will have to log in 2 times, once for Steam and once for EA. Real pain in the .

You can add a short cut to BF2 so you can launch it from the Steam interface if you want but it can not be added to a Steam account like BFBC2 can.
Autopatching, download/install on any computer, no disc to scratch/lose, you know the usual reasons for buying anything on Steam
natemckn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:05 PM   #6
Nekomancer

@azzonie
The retail version of Bad Company 2 can't be activated on Steam either. Don't spread misinformation please.

airblad3 already posted a link to the list of retail games that can be activated on Steam.
Nekomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:11 PM   #7
azzonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekomancer View Post
@azzonie
The retail version of Bad Company 2 can't be activated on Steam either. Don't spread misinformation please.

airblad3 already posted a link to the list of retail games that can be activated on Steam.
Totaly not true. I know of more then a few people that have done it so stop spreading bad info unless you have personal experance, which I do. You can use a retail version of BFBC2 key to activate on Steam, or you can use a Steam key to activate a retail version. No differance in the keys for this game. This has been tested and verified.

Last edited by azzonie: 03-10-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:41 PM   #8
Aitkenj

Quote:
Totaly not true. I know of more then a few people that have done it so stop spreading bad info unless you have personal experance, which I do. You can use a retail version of BFBC2 key to activate on Steam, or you can use a Steam key to activate a retail version. No differance in the keys for this game. This has been tested and verified.
Nope, I think your mistaken.

Taken from the BFBC2 Sticky

Quote:
Q. Can I register my retail Battlefield: Bad Company 2 serial code for access on Steam?

No, only games on this list may be activated on Steam for use.
If it could be done it would be on this list.https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...7480-WUSF-3601
Aitkenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:50 PM   #9
azzonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aitkenj View Post
Nope, I think your mistaken.

Taken from the BFBC2 Sticky

If it could be done it would be on this list.https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...7480-WUSF-3601
I suggest you try it, because it does work. In fact any key works for EA downloader, Steam or retail disc with this game.

If you want you can uninstall you Steam version, install the retail version with out Steam and use the CD key you got from Steam to activate it. I would suggest this as the game launches in 1/2 the time and you do not have to worry about Steam being down.

Not just making this up or reading off a website, it is from multipile people trying it directly, regaurdless of what Steam says.

After you have actually tried it then come back in and update us. I could provide proof but it is all in private forums for Internet Cafe owners so the links would not work for you.

Last edited by azzonie: 03-10-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:08 AM   #10
TurkeySandwhich

Azz you are mistake. There is NO EA game that is a Steamworks title. I assume the Valve employees are more reliable than you regarding this matter. To the OP, NO you cannot buy the game via retail and register via Steam.
TurkeySandwhich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:24 AM   #11
d10sfan

Quote:

I like steam for not having to keep up with discs and it patching automatically. Plus, all my games are in one place then, through my steam account.
d10sfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:24 AM   #12
StingingVelvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by natemckn View Post
Autopatching, download/install on any computer, no disc to scratch/lose, you know the usual reasons for buying anything on Steam
Autopatching is built in to BC2 in every version.

Installing on any computer is no different... actually since retail has a disc check option, you can install it to infinite computers, while Steam has SecuROM DRM which limits it to 10.

No disc, well BC2 has a SecuROM option which makes the disc only needed for install, if you are worried about that.

So... yeah... not much reason for the Steam version, sorry.
StingingVelvet is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion