Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Steam

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 03-11-2010, 08:04 AM   #16
RambJoe

Yeah I heard about them looking for Linux devs, I really hope it's coming, this year, actually I want it now.
RambJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:06 AM   #17
JonasHoeiberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmeister View Post
It does take *some* of the work out of porting to Linux, but many people look at a game engine, and just see graphics. There's a HELL of a lot more to a game engine than it's graphics system. There'd be quite a lot of other work to do.

Although since Valve were advertising for Linux developers a while ago, I reckon that Steam and Source are headed there, but they've either had a setback or they're scheduled for later. Valve had to announce the Mac versions now though because of GDC, so they can market both Steam and Source there
Ah.. well I just figured the biggest hurdle was the DirectX API, as every time I tried making WINE work back when I was experimenting with Linux, the errors I got were always relating to some DirectX library.

Naturally there is a lot of stuff other than graphics going on under the hood in a game engine. I just figured that since the way OS X operates is somewhat similar to Linux (compared to Windows at least) it would be easier for someone to make a working OS X compatibility layer compared to a Windows one.

EDIT: Not trying to be a smartarse here, I don't really know what I'm talking about. I'm just curious, and really want to get into Linux without having to sacrifice gaming :P

Last edited by JonasHoeiberg: 03-11-2010 at 08:08 AM.
JonasHoeiberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:10 AM   #18
TheLazy1

Banned
Wouldn't it be nice if we also got mac versions of other games we bought as well?
/snaps out of dreamland
TheLazy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:54 AM   #19
letmefragyou

I just wonder if there's more going on in the background then they're letting on. How awesome would it be to find out that almost every Developer on Steam has been working night and day to port all their titles to Mac?

I can't imagine Valve being the only ones on board with this, this could be a cash cow(a small one at first)/
letmefragyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:56 AM   #20
Fuzz Bucket

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLazy1 View Post
Wouldn't it be nice if we also got mac versions of other games we bought as well?
/snaps out of dreamland
http://store.steampowered.com/news/3569/
Quote:
Steamworks for the Mac supports all of the Steamworks APIs, and we have added a new feature, called Steam Play, which allows customers who purchase the product for the Mac or Windows to play on the other platform free of charge. For example, Steam Play, in combination with the Steam Cloud, allows a gamer playing on their work PC to go home and pick up playing the same game at the same point on their home Mac. We expect most developers and publishers to take advantage of Steam Play.
Fuzz Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:57 AM   #21
RambJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz Bucket View Post
He means other games, not just Valve ones.
RambJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:04 AM   #22
offby1

Personally, I'm hoping for the old-school DOS games to make the transition. X-Com, Dark Forces...
offby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:22 AM   #23
JonasHoeiberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by offby1 View Post
Personally, I'm hoping for the old-school DOS games to make the transition. X-Com, Dark Forces...
DosBox performs that task rather well on all platforms.
JonasHoeiberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:15 AM   #24
rabidpraxis7

Massive shift

Even though Valve is only porting a few of their games to OS X, I see this as a HUGE shift in momentum towards the Mac as a platform worthy for gamers. I am guessing that in the next year, most game publishers will add OS X to their tier 1 platforms. Apple has not been very concerned with gaming in the past, but once they see a stronger adoption from gamers (because of this momentum) they will invest more resources towards gaming initiatives.

I mean, how many of us have just shrugged our shoulders when a PC user said "But it sucks at gaming" while trying to show them the beauty and elegance of our little platform? I can't wait until that is no longer an issue.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:21 AM   #25
5killer

id also treats Mac as a tier 1 platform.

I wonder if the store page will be different between the two OSs. Or if the Window's version will have a Mac section and vice versa.
5killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:22 AM   #26
Fuzz Bucket

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5killer View Post
id also treats Mac as a tier 1 platform.

I wonder if the store page will be different between the two OSs. Or if the Window's version will have a Mac section and vice versa.
I don't see why it should look any different. Relying on the user-agent a browser reports is unreliable, anyway.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:26 AM   #27
5killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz Bucket View Post
I don't see why it should look any different. Relying on the user-agent a browser reports is unreliable, anyway.
I mean the content. Will it have a tab that says Mac games? And then everything else would be the Windows portion.
5killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:28 AM   #28
Fuzz Bucket

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5killer View Post
I mean the content. Will it have a tab that says Mac games? And then everything else would be the Windows portion.
I suppose they'd have a category for it. Otherwise, I'd expect them to just have a "supported platforms" header for each item they sell.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:45 PM   #29
vermaak

I'm very happy about steam on OSX. I still have (but never use) my windows gaming rig due to the fact that I'm on the road all the time. I always have my MacBook Pro with me and since 2007 have had a Windows partition through Bootcamp just to run games. I have always wanted to get rid of that partition and run games directly in OSX but have never found a decent solution. I was running Steam using Crossover for a while so that I didn't have to re-boot into Windows but this was slow and buggy, never great things for any type of gaming.

I see that some game developers are already looking over at valve closely to see what happens. Lets just hope that both Valve and us can show them that there is a market over here as well. Maybe this could be the big gaming break that the Mac community has been waiting for.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:49 PM   #30
Sableye

I'm just wondering about steam play. Will this option be available for other developers hoping to get their mac games on steam that already have versions on PC?
Sableye is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Steam