Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Battlestations series

Old 03-12-2010, 03:06 AM   #1
KaptainKoala

Furious With GFWL Built Into This Game

First of all, game crashed: "xlive.dll missing".

After searching for what the heck this is, I found out it is some Microsoft GWFL crap.
Searching for where to download it: <decided not to include this link, for the good of the internet>
Installing GFWL...
Then "You don't have Games FW Live Account".
Ughh. Ok.

Turns out, GFWL is needed just to be able to "save progress in game"
That in itself is extremely annoying.

OK, creating GFWL account ...
Makes you jump through half a dozens of hoops just to sign up. Demands your birthdate (??) and postcode (??). Is Bill going send me something in mail? Some pie perhaps?
Skipping ...
GFWL: "NO. You tell us your BDate and postcode ... NOW."
Uggh. Ok.

Then it taunts me with the log in screen...
Denies pasting into password. WTF??
(have so many pwds I use PassordSafe, so i dont remember any of them by heart, furthermore, PWSafe creates string pwds with gibberist content so no way a human can remember ... but this is besides the point)

Ok, paste password into username so I can retype it without mistake. Great ... Tabbing back from Password box to Username to remove the saved Password from the end ... Password box CLEARED. WTF !!!

Ok, time to memorize 16 digit gibberish (strong) password...
5 min later...
Retyping login username, retyping password from written down piece of paper...
Connection rejected.
Username and Password edit boxes CLEARED.

Trying again, rejected again.

Uninstalling software.

Deciding to never again buying any crap with GFWL on it.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:13 AM   #2
Trashcantoy

i was gonna say "its your own fault" but the GFWL is NOT listed on the store page, so steam should fix that.
Trashcantoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:25 PM   #3
Pilotclan9404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashcantoy View Post
i was gonna say "its your own fault" but the GFWL is NOT listed on the store page, so steam should fix that.
agreed
Pilotclan9404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:13 AM   #4
Gentlemen?

Woah, thanks for the heads up. I was about to buy this game, but not if its infected with GFWL.

I regret buying the 4 games that I own that use GFWL, Bioshock 2 I paid full price for, Batman I got at bargain bin price and GTA4 at bargain bin price and DoW2 (cant remember off the top of my head) One day I will ask Steam to remove them permanently from my account. It gives me a migraine to see these "dirty" games alongside my nice games. I'm never buying a game with GFWL again.
Gentlemen? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:07 PM   #5
Friendliest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentlemen? View Post
One day I will ask Steam to remove them permanently from my account. It gives me a migraine to see these "dirty" games alongside my nice games...
GFWL and W itself and MS sure sux and all, but DANG......... ^^ O_o

==========----------->>>>>>>

FWIW, my approach to the growing GFWL problem in my life...

(because I do have many games I have purchased from steam in bundle packs etc. which utilize this unholy "technology" <--and I use the term very generously)

...is just to "bite the bullet", and go to the GFWL or XBox Live (or whatever the H it is) "home page" and make a GFWL account, in preparation for playing these games, before I am at the point where the game actually asks for it.

I think a major part of the problem people have with signing up for GFWL accts (myself included) is that the integration between the games themselves and the GFWL registration/login site is often broken or at least very shaky. Not that I am trying to excuse the poor engineering and design by Microsoft (engin-err-ing?), or the poor decision to use this technology by the game makers, but... just trying to find a practical solution to play games I happen to own. FFS who ever thought HAVING FUN would be SO MUCH WORK?!

By taking a divide and conquer approach and separating the registration process from each game's login process, I am hoping that the next time I play a game that prompts me for GFWL bs, that complying will be as simple as just typing in my username and pw.

let's keep our fingers crossed....
Friendliest is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Battlestations series