Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 03-15-2010, 01:41 AM   #1
Ali

Source Engine

I recently purchase 'Garry's Mod', hands down I just love the game. The only thing that bugs me is that, when I join a server some props ends up becoming purple and black checker spots everywhere. Do I need all copies of 'counterstrike, day of defeat, half-life 2 and team fortress source engines' in order to sell ALL props?
Old 03-15-2010, 02:04 AM   #2
whisperity

Sell?? You mean see, i think.

However, if it's original props, and you don't have the copy, you can download it from the server. Check options.
I don't know, unofficial props must be downloaded, but purple-black things just texture errors. Do a verification and defragmentation (not just file, full HDD defrag, it helped me in TF2).

(Currently I'm looking forward to get a credit card to buy Garry's mod. Why can't GMod come out in retail?)
whisperity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:41 AM   #3
Ali

No, it's nothing to do with original props showing up I can see them just fine. I'm talking about the Source Engine because I do not own neither counterstrike source, day of defeat source, half life 2 or team fortress 2. I'm talking about do you need to own at least one source engine game to see all props? or do you need them all.
Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:48 AM   #4
whisperity

You mean you don't have any of these games listed here.

Garry's mod's storefront page clearly shows you:
Quote:
This game requires that you own a Source engine game such as Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life 2, or Day of Defeat: Source. Click here for a full list of games that meet this requirement. Please note that Portal: First Slice and the bundled Half-Life 2: Deathmatch do not fulfill this requirement.
This means you must have at least one game from this list:
  • Day of Defeat: Source
  • Counter-Strike: Source
  • Portal
  • Team Fortress 2
  • Half-Life 2
  • HL2: Episode One
  • HL2: Episode Two
  • Left 4 Dead
  • Any gaming packages including these games (The Orange Box, Source Multiplayer Pack, Valve Complete Pack, Half-Life 2 pack, Half-Life 2:Episode Pack, etc...)

Pay attention, the steam search (the here link lists HL2eathmatch) but GMod storefront page says HL2M doesn't fulfill it's requirement (also like Portal's demo: First Slice).
Old 03-15-2010, 01:44 PM   #5
RUSBoris

I think without one of those games GMod just wouldn't launch to begin with.

He's most likely referring to textures other players use but he does not have on his own computer. I don't know how to fix that, though
RUSBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:04 PM   #6
Mangr0v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperity View Post
Pay attention, the steam search (the here link lists HL2eathmatch) but GMod storefront page says HL2M doesn't fulfill it's requirement (also like Portal's demo: First Slice).
HL2:DM fulfills the requirements, unless you got it from the NVIDIA or ATI promotion.
Mangr0v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:18 PM   #7
Ali

I can run gmod currently now 'without no source engine'.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:19 PM   #8
Ali

guys pay attention to what i said, do you need 'ALL games' in order to see 'ALL props' because some props are in purple and black checkers
Old 03-15-2010, 04:22 PM   #9
Washell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali View Post
I can run gmod currently now 'without no source engine'.
Well, there's your problem then. You need at least one of the games listed earlier in this thread. Without owning one of those, you apparently get the problem you're seeing.
Washell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:52 AM   #10
whisperity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangr0v3 View Post
HL2:DM fulfills the requirements, unless you got it from the NVIDIA or ATI promotion.
So that's the reason why it said the bundled Portal: First Slice and HL2: DM.

But what happens if I get HL2DM from the promotion and then buy it again to use it with Garry's mod? Or if I use the promotion I screwed myself and no way to see any HL2DM props?
Old 03-16-2010, 06:04 AM   #11
Nekomancer

Oh, you will be able to use the props. But Garry's Mod will only work if you at least pay for one game that uses the Source engine.
Nekomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:14 AM   #12
whisperity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekomancer View Post
Oh, you will be able to use the props. But Garry's Mod will only work if you at least pay for one game that uses the Source engine.
I got the HL2DM from the ATi promotion.
And I payed for The Orange Box and Left 4 Dead

Meaning promotion. Can I use my HL2DM (got from the promotion) on another computer even with nVidia gfx card (the ATi is in my brother's computer).

So I used my brother's video card to get me a "free" game and later, it is tied to my account, not with that computer and/or video card?
Old 03-16-2010, 06:18 AM   #13
Nekomancer

I don't know about that. But both ATI and nVidia have such an offer, so as long as you aren't one of the Intel videochip victims, you're good to go.
Nekomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:10 AM   #14
whisperity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekomancer View Post
I don't know about that. But both ATI and nVidia have such an offer, so as long as you aren't one of the Intel videochip victims, you're good to go.
Yeah Intel sucks, intel is in my laptop, but I used my brother's ATi viedeo card.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:48 PM   #15
Mangr0v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperity View Post
I got the HL2DM from the ATi promotion.
And I payed for The Orange Box and Left 4 Dead

Meaning promotion. Can I use my HL2DM (got from the promotion) on another computer even with nVidia gfx card (the ATi is in my brother's computer).

So I used my brother's video card to get me a "free" game and later, it is tied to my account, not with that computer and/or video card?
Yes. Games are tied to your account, you just need an ATI/NVIDIA card to 'unlock' the bundle.
Mangr0v3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips