Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Metro 2033

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2010, 09:19 PM   #1
the_can
 
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Reputation: 21
Posts: 1,516
Anyone running this with an ATI video card?

Just curious about framerates, the availablity of antialiasing/AF and whether it runs well at all.
the_can is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:27 PM   #2
MrDeathhimself
 
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Reputation: 12
Posts: 280
idk cant get an visuals to happen
MrDeathhimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:38 PM   #3
Saolite
 
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Reputation: 27
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_can View Post
Just curious about framerates, the availablity of antialiasing/AF and whether it runs well at all.

I've got an ATI Sapphire Toxic Edition 5850 -- runs it on all max settings. 60+ FPS at all times.

I'll post a video here pretty soon with FRAPS.
Saolite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:48 PM   #4
Pinworm45
 
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Reputation: 11
Posts: 419
There are AF and AA options.

I have a 4870 and a Q6600 Quad Core running at 2.51 with no overclocking.

The games defaults were direct X 9 on high. I put it to Direct X 10 on Medium/normal.

The game looks pretty damn good. And there was no lag.

my only complaint so far (I only played the prologue and a bit of the level after it) is that it has the same thing I've always had with stalker, even across different PCs with different brands of GPU, which is that before something is about to happen, like a script where some monster attack, there is a good one second pause. It's not a big deal, but a little agitating.

Other than that, no complaints so far. Might even turn it up to high depending on how it goes.
Pinworm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:49 PM   #5
the dunce
 
Banned
Join Date: May 2009
Reputation: 20
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinworm45 View Post
my only complaint so far (I only played the prologue and a bit of the level after it) is that it has the same thing I've always had with stalker, even across different PCs with different brands of GPU, which is that before something is about to happen, like a script where some monster attack, there is a good one second pause. It's not a big deal, but a little agitating.

Same engine.
the dunce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:52 PM   #6
Pinworm45
 
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Reputation: 11
Posts: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by the dunce View Post
Same engine.
Yeah, that's why I compared it to stalker.

However, In stalker I also have inconsistent framerates and frequent dips - in addition to the pause before scripted events - which so far I haven't noticed in this. Maybe just a tiny little bit, but nowhere near as much as stalker. It also looks a LOT better IMO.
Pinworm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:02 PM   #7
the_can
 
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Reputation: 21
Posts: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saolite View Post
I've got an ATI Sapphire Toxic Edition 5850 -- runs it on all max settings. 60+ FPS at all times.

I'll post a video here pretty soon with FRAPS.
I have a stock 5850 so if your experience is pretty good, mine should probably be ok. I've been hedging about buying this...I had this suspicion that it would be another crysis, getting single fps with a very good ATI card until some update was released, or a new driver or profile. (If you're wondering why I thought this, take a look at the system requirements). Are you running it in DX11 mode btw?
the_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:04 PM   #8
annisman
 
Join Date: May 2009
Reputation: 51
Posts: 198
I have dual 5870's and a fast i7 so I will let you all know how the performance is on max max settings, in a little bit!
annisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:11 PM   #9
Saolite
 
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Reputation: 27
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_can View Post
I have a stock 5850 so if your experience is pretty good, mine should probably be ok. I've been hedging about buying this...I had this suspicion that it would be another crysis, getting single fps with a very good ATI card until some update was released, or a new driver or profile. (If you're wondering why I thought this, take a look at the system requirements). Are you running it in DX11 mode btw?
DX 11, AF at X16, Texture on High, every setting possible on the max -- except I turned off AA. I went from 60 to 30 FPS when I turned AA on, and the improvement wasn't -that- amazing for such a reduction on FPS. Granted, 30+ FPS is perfectly fine for most people, so if so, then by all means.

There are certain parts, from what I've seen so far, that are graphically wild -- my FPS went down to about 20 with AA on in these areas. But without, remained a constant, uninterrupted 60+ FPS.

Uploading video to Youtube now. Should have it up shortly ( my upload speed sucks ).
Saolite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:15 PM   #10
the_can
 
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Reputation: 21
Posts: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saolite View Post
DX 11, AF at X16, Texture on High, every setting possible on the max -- except I turned off AA. I went from 60 to 30 FPS when I turned AA on, and the improvement wasn't -that- amazing for such a reduction on FPS. Granted, 30+ FPS is perfectly fine for most people, so if so, then by all means.

There are certain parts, from what I've seen so far, that are graphically wild -- my FPS went down to about 20 with AA on in these areas. But without, remained a constant, uninterrupted 60+ FPS.

Uploading video to Youtube now. Should have it up shortly ( my upload speed sucks ).
You're selecting aa from the software, not CCC right?
the_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:15 PM   #11
Pinworm45
 
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Reputation: 11
Posts: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_can View Post
You're selecting aa from the software, not CCC right?
The game has an AA setting if that's what you're asking.
Pinworm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:22 PM   #12
judgedeath2
 
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Reputation: 0
Posts: 89
XFX 5850 XXX Edition here...

Starting the game up, I fully maxed it:
1680x1050
DX11 - Tesselation & DOF
4xAA, 8xAF
Everything at full

..and it was GORGEOUS. But ran like sh*t. 20-30 fps.

Turned off AA and disabled tesselation, and it runs like a dream! 60+ fps.

EDIT: I tried several times flipping it on and off and couldn't see anything noticable from tesselation (other than about 8-10 fps drop)
judgedeath2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:26 PM   #13
the_can
 
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Reputation: 21
Posts: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinworm45 View Post
The game has an AA setting if that's what you're asking.
I'm asking if you're choosing your aa setting from catalyst control center, or from the game's video options.
the_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:28 PM   #14
the_can
 
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Reputation: 21
Posts: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by judgedeath2 View Post
XFX 5850 XXX Edition here...

Starting the game up, I fully maxed it:
1680x1050
DX11 - Tesselation & DOF
4xAA, 8xAF
Everything at full

..and it was GORGEOUS. But ran like sh*t. 20-30 fps.

Turned off AA and disabled tesselation, and it runs like a dream! 60+ fps.

EDIT: I tried several times flipping it on and off and couldn't see anything noticable from tesselation (other than about 8-10 fps drop)
Did you try it with aa enabled and tesselation disabled?
the_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:31 PM   #15
Saolite
 
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Reputation: 27
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_can View Post
You're selecting aa from the software, not CCC right?
Yes, selecting my AA from directly within the game, not through CCC.

I have DX 11, 1680 x 1050, AF X16. I turned AA off, again, because it dropped my FPS to about 30.
Saolite is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Metro 2033


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.