Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Metro 2033

Old 03-16-2010, 12:54 AM   #1
Chares

Pre-Load Activation Region Avaibility

HI Steam Forum Members,

i got a question which i find quite irrational, and wanted to see if someone can actually give me a response.

Why does North America and Europe get the change to activate their copies of Metro 2033, and people on other countries, my example Argentina, have to wait another 4 days?

Is not like the developer is fixing bugs, or changing the game code before realease.

I dont have a problem by waiting to be activated, but i still see no apparent reason as why i cannot activate it, as a US or EU person can.

Probably if i connect to a VPN connection on a server in the US or EU, it will identify me on that region an activate the copy, so technically is posible.

So is there any political, merchandise, or marketing issue for this kind of delay on international customers?

Cheers

Old 03-16-2010, 01:04 AM   #2
Pinworm45

I'm pretty sure europe has to wait as well.. correct me if I'm wrong there.

I don't know if I can answer your question specifically, but I can answer why games in EU are released later than in the US most of the time.

The reason is the store-stocking day in the US is on a tuesday. That's when electronic stores get their shipments of DVDs and game releases, and consequently why games release on tuesday.

In Friday, that day is friday.

The reason Digital Distribution adheres to this is rather annoyingly because of those stores.

Physical retailers keep pressure on the developement studios by basically threatening sales to prevent Digital Distribution from being released earlier, or on midnight, or things like that. Consequently the developers won't allow Digital Distribution to release it early, for fear of losing the stores sales. The stores naturally don't want Digital sales to be out earlier because then no one would go to the stores (or at least a lot less people).

It's likely this applies here.

Hope that helps
Pinworm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:41 AM   #3
Chares

yes, i perfectly understand you, sitll, europe got it first than the US:

"Metro 2033 is now available in the following territories: Spain, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Belgium, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Thailand, Malaysia, Macau, and India."

Also, why do we people of other coutries, like me in Argentina, have to suffer the same thing, even if we dont have a retailer who si going to sell it locally.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:35 AM   #4
Vaemer-Riit

If you want to complain to someone complain to THQ. They set the release dates, not steam.
Vaemer-Riit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:51 AM   #5
Chapa9dj

Bleh, you're in Argentina just like me.
We still have to wait another 4 days. It's really annoying.
I don't see the point, the game is already pre-loaded. Why not releasing it?
Chapa9dj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:21 AM   #6
Vaemer-Riit

Because then Steam would have to pay fines to THQ for breaking street date.
Vaemer-Riit is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Metro 2033