Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Counter-Strike: Source

Old 03-16-2010, 02:45 AM   #1
Kilzet

Exclamation CSS Kills my internet.

Hello peeps.
I recently reinstalling CSS after reinstalling my Laptop. And since then CSS is having a weird issue. At first it didnt, but after a little time it did.
The problem is:

When I click 'Find Servers' it shows me a few servers, and then my internet shuts off... I tried reinstalling the game, also tried reinstalling CSS, also tried allowing my firewall it, but nothing works! Also tried plugging the power cable out of the my router, and sticking it back in after a min, but doesn't work either!

This is very annoying, since if I want to play, all I got left is my history...
Please help me!
Old 03-16-2010, 04:48 AM   #2
Zefar

Volunteer Moderator
Does the internet only goes off for a while or completely?

If it's only for a while I had the same problem. So the way I solved mine was replacing my old router with a new and better one.

My old one was a Zyxel and I replaced that with a D-Link DIR 615. Once I got that I got plenty of servers in CSS and my internet wouldn't shut off for a while once I did a full refresh.

Some way that I think can counter your problem for the moment like it did for me is this.

1: Stop the refresh before it's done.
2: Add all the servers you want to the favorites and the moment you enter the server browser you head into favorites.
3: Just use Quick refresh to fresh up the servers.
Zefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:07 AM   #3
Kilzet

It only turns off for a moment, but I have to quit the game in order to get my internet back. And the internet isnt mine, my dad pays for it, so changed the router is gonna be a problem.
And about the 1st step, it doesnt even complete. I see a few servers, then it suddenly stops because my internet is off. I am already going to servers over my favorite, but having acces to the internet source of it would be nice.
I honestly have no idea whats wrong with it..
Kilzet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:27 AM   #4
partofthefuture

All troubles combined together are sitting in half a meter of their own monitor
partofthefuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:02 AM   #5
Kilzet

Quote:
Originally Posted by partofthefuture View Post
All troubles combined together are sitting in half a meter of their own monitor
So you're saying im the problem? Tell me why then. You're not helpfull kiddo.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:58 AM   #6
partofthefuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilzet View Post
So you're saying im the problem? Tell me why then. You're not helpfull kiddo.
No abuse. No one will help you as http://support.steampowered.com/

Create a ticket and write them. Wait 3-5 working days and they will tell what to do
partofthefuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:14 AM   #7
hilmar07

I have this problem too. I can search for servers, find about 700-900 each time, but my friend finds ALOT more, like a thousand more. If I try to join a server, it just says: Server is not responding and then my internet dies and I have to reset my router and I have a ZyXEL router like Zefar said he had.
But I have the same problem as Kilzet about getting a new router, my dad owns it and pays for it.
hilmar07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:27 PM   #8
GirlPower23

This is a router issue, I can't explain it very well but it has something to do with routers that have NAT and don't allow a lot of connections at once. Basically a lot of servers flood your router and it drops your internet for a short time, sometimes requiring you to restart your router. I'd recommend buying a D-Link gaming Lounge router or similar. Then your internet dropping issue will go away. I looked heavily into this issue, with two routers I had, a cheap D-Link one and a old Linksys router, both would get flooded with to many incoming connections from the Steam Server list and BAM internet down. You can also register an account with XFire and use their server updating list to, it is loads better than Steams ingame browser, I can get every single server on XFIre, unlike Steams browser, it also didn't kill my internet like using the browser. Mainly valve is to blame for this, but your only solution is to buy a new router or try an alternative to finding servers like XFIre.
GirlPower23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:43 AM   #9
Kilzet

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlPower23 View Post
This is a router issue, I can't explain it very well but it has something to do with routers that have NAT and don't allow a lot of connections at once. Basically a lot of servers flood your router and it drops your internet for a short time, sometimes requiring you to restart your router. I'd recommend buying a D-Link gaming Lounge router or similar. Then your internet dropping issue will go away. I looked heavily into this issue, with two routers I had, a cheap D-Link one and a old Linksys router, both would get flooded with to many incoming connections from the Steam Server list and BAM internet down. You can also register an account with XFire and use their server updating list to, it is loads better than Steams ingame browser, I can get every single server on XFIre, unlike Steams browser, it also didn't kill my internet like using the browser. Mainly valve is to blame for this, but your only solution is to buy a new router or try an alternative to finding servers like XFIre.
You're right, I'm in looking at servers through xfire, but I have my favorite minigame server in history though. And it seems it changed, because we changed internet speed. Could that be possible? We use to have 50mb/s with no download cap, but now we have different one, don't know how much mb/s and with DL cap. And no, this can not be cause because we reached our download cap.

My router is a 300N router from Sitecom.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:44 AM   #10
Kilzet

Quote:
Originally Posted by partofthefuture View Post
No abuse. No one will help you as http://support.steampowered.com/

Create a ticket and write them. Wait 3-5 working days and they will tell what to do
Will do, thanks.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:52 AM   #11
Brainkiller

Definitely a router problem (read: NOT modem problem)

Same happens to me, also happens when downloading from specific websites, though if I plug directly into my modem the problem goes away.

So either upgrade the firmware of your router and hope it fixes it or buy a new router, or plug into modem.

I share my internet connection so I just wait until nobody is using it, then I plug directly into the modem and do my downloading.

also the most annoying part is it is really random, there are weeks were I can download no problem at all, then there are days were I can't even download 1mb from a specific website without it freezing.

It only happens with rapidshare and a couple other website.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:50 AM   #12
Seppuldura

Try this: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...4487-YUOC-6922

Im using a value of 5000 and my serverbrowser works way more reliable and "smoother" now. In your case you might go even lower to fix it...
Seppuldura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:01 AM   #13
mastertheknife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seppuldura View Post
Try this: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...4487-YUOC-6922

Im using a value of 5000 and my serverbrowser works way more reliable and "smoother" now. In your case you might go even lower to fix it...
The third solution (Registry key) works awesome, i can use 20000 rate in CS and use 10000 in server browser.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Counter-Strike: Source