Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Shatter

Old 12-12-2010, 05:02 PM   #46
SunGryphon

Imagine my surprise when I found this thread. I have a double whammy for you guys - a Saitek PC Gamer's keyboard AND dual monitors

Unplugging the keyboard and plugging it back in worked to launch the game, however there is no Saitek device for me to disable.

Fun game though, I was a diehard Arkanoid fan back in the day
Old 12-15-2010, 01:59 AM   #47
Shad0WeN

Hey all, just an update that hopefully can help solve this problem.

I also have a Saitek Eclipse keyboard (model PZ30AU) from like 2005 running on a Windows XP Pro x64 (Service Pack 2) system with a single monitor setup. I recently got Shatter and had the same problem launching the game with a black screen for like 2 seconds, and then it would crash back to desktop. Never had a problem with the keyboard before with any games.

So naturally a search of the issue led me to this thread and to my amazement, unplugging the keyboard as was previously mentioned allowed the game to launch fine. My keyboard was just using whatever native drivers Windows had installed so there were no devices in the device manager with "Saitek Gamers' Keyboard" or whatever in the name, just generic HID devices. Anyway so I checked Windows Update and it found an updated driver from Saitek for the keyboard dated April 2008. After installing, I now have a bunch of "Saitek Gamers' Keyboard _______" devices showing and Shatter seems to run fine with no need to disable anything!

So this just might be a solution for some people having this problem. Just try updating your Saitek Eclipse driver if you can. Check Windows Update (making sure to select "Custom") and see if an update is detected. Otherwise Saitek seems to have the driver available for download here, however it is currently an older version from that on Windows Update (6.2.2.4 vs 6.0.4.1):

http://www.saitek.com/uk/down/drivers.php

Just select Keyboard ---> Gamers Keyboard ---> then your OS

click the "download drivers" button that appears. depending on your OS you may also see a "download software" button as well, however I think that that additional software does not apply and is for a slightly different version of this keyboard that Saitek made that came with an optional "command keypad" that could be plugged into the keyboard, as seen here:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ZPB63CYXL.jpg

Notice that the keyboard (PZ08AU) looks exactly the same (aside from the different paint color scheme) as the Eclipse PZ30AU (blue LED backlights) & PZ30AUR (red LED backlights), so they likely use the same drivers.

Also, just another thought to consider. While reading through this thread I made a note of what specific Operating System everyone who was experiencing the problem was running (assuming they mentioned it). So one thing that jumped out at me was that everyone mentioned running a 64-bit OS, whether it was Windows 7, Vista, or XP x64. It makes me wonder whether it could just be either native Windows drivers or some older versions of Saitek's 64-bit drivers for this keyboard that are problematic in this rare case, and whether this same issue would also occur on a 32-bit OS?? I am curious what OS(s) you guys at Sidhe used to try to reproduce the problem before when you were unable to do so? I am going to try testing Windows XP 32-bit (SP3) as I have another PC with Steam installed on it hooked up to the same keyboard, monitor, mouse via a KVM switch.

Last edited by Shad0WeN: 12-15-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Shad0WeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:13 PM   #48
DaracSjet

We have Windows 7 64 bit on the computers I tried.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:41 PM   #49
Shad0WeN

okay well I tried testing but was unable to reproduce the problem on the other system running Windows XP 32-bit (SP3)

so just to recap, the problem occured for me in Windows XP 64-bit with those older keyboard drivers but not in Windows XP 32-bit (SP3), using the exact same keyboard on a KVM switch

P.S. - if you guys at Sidhe want my Saitek Eclipse keyboard whenever I get around to getting a new one you are welcome to it
Shad0WeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:03 PM   #50
DaracSjet

lol, it's all right, we have one. I'm pretty sure it's the OS and driver version that's the issue.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:00 PM   #51
Nobodo

If I try to play the game fullscreen I see the same problem described above (game sounds but black screen - have to kill the running process).
If I run it in a 1920x1080 window it runs fine, but ONLY if I set vsync to off, triple buffer to off, and anti-aliasing to 0x. For some reason it opens fullscreen even if fullscreen is not selected but the vsync or triple buffer options are selected.

Interestingly, I just got a new computer and see the same problem on both the old and new computers. Both are Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. One is a dual-processor AMD with a geForce 9600 gt, and the other is a core i7 with 12Gb ram and ATI Radeon HD 5870 graphics. Both have 2 monitors. Both have Logitech wireless trackballs and Logitech gaming pads. I have standard keyboards on both computers, no Saitek anything. I do have the latest Logitech drivers for the Logitech trackballs and the Logitech profiler for the the gaming pads. All drivers are current; I am kinda anal about that.

Last edited by Nobodo: 12-27-2010 at 10:03 AM.
Nobodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:28 PM   #52
Nobodo

I forgot to mention -- I have the same problem with the steam game 'Droplitz' -- same symptoms and same solution (works in window but in fullscreen I just get black screen with sounds). I actually got the idea to try Shatter in window mode because the Droplitz forum said that was how to get that game working if those symptoms happened.
Nobodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:41 PM   #53
cornelius_4

Another solution to try

Shatter opens with black screen and sound. It never loaded properly. After disabling vpu recover it now works every time so far.

This should work on windows vista and 7. I don't know about xp.
Note that the following will disable vpu recover. You can read more about it here: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device...m_timeout.mspx
----------------------------------------------------------------

Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete and open the task manager.
Click on File --> New Task (Run...).

Type regedit and click OK.

Navigate to HKLM\SOFTWARE\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDr ivers

If you have a DWORD with the name TdrLevel you need to change it's value to 0. Otherwise you need to create a new DWORD with the name TdrLevel and a value of 0. This will disable vpu recover.

reboot and open shatter.

If you want to undo this, change TdrLevel to 3 and vpu will be enabled again.

Hope it works :-).
Old 12-29-2010, 08:50 PM   #54
Androktasie

For what it's worth, Shatter isn't the only game that the Saitek Eclipse renders unplayable due to it's detection as a DirectInput game controller. Darn thing gave me hell trying to play Peter Jackson's King Kong a few years back on XP 32-bit, mucking with menu selections and my character's POV.

The same issue has also been reported in a flight simulator community, and for Grand Theft Auto IV. More complaints here and here. CNET also noted performance degradation in F.E.A.R on multiple systems with the same keyboard.

I'm curious if there was a silent revision to the hardware that removed it's detection as a "game controller", possibly accounting for Sidhe's inability to reproduce the problem.
Androktasie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:15 PM   #55
Breitschwert

I have the same issue and also have a Saitek Gaming Keyboard. System is Windows 7 64bit. I remember back in XP32 having the same issue with another game, my solution back then was to disable the USB device in Device Manager, which was connected to the keyboard. The keyboard still worked after this. I think it was a USB Hub. Just tried this on Windows 7 and it didn't help me.

When trying this, make sure you know how to reenable it again with just the keyboard if you accidentally deactivate your mouse.
Breitschwert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:41 PM   #56
DaracSjet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodo View Post
If I try to play the game fullscreen I see the same problem described above (game sounds but black screen - have to kill the running process).
If I run it in a 1920x1080 window it runs fine, but ONLY if I set vsync to off, triple buffer to off, and anti-aliasing to 0x. For some reason it opens fullscreen even if fullscreen is not selected but the vsync or triple buffer options are selected.

Interestingly, I just got a new computer and see the same problem on both the old and new computers. Both are Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. One is a dual-processor AMD with a geForce 9600 gt, and the other is a core i7 with 12Gb ram and ATI Radeon HD 5870 graphics. Both have 2 monitors. Both have Logitech wireless trackballs and Logitech gaming pads. I have standard keyboards on both computers, no Saitek anything. I do have the latest Logitech drivers for the Logitech trackballs and the Logitech profiler for the the gaming pads. All drivers are current; I am kinda anal about that.
It's probably the dual screens that is giving you this issue. I don't know why but some dual screen configurations don't play well with Shatter.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:04 AM   #57
Breitschwert

What I find interesting is that when I start the game windowed and keep it in the background, it will load fine to the start menu. As soon as I switch to it, it will hang and then crash.

I am still waiting for a fix, since I do not want to unplug my keyboard all the time.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:44 PM   #58
DaracSjet

I know you said you've tried this but everyone else seems to be able to disable the Saitek Gamers' Keyboard Hot Keys (USB) in the device manager to get it working?

Can you give it another shot? There isn't really else I can do sorry..
Old 01-21-2011, 07:02 AM   #59
Breitschwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaracSjet View Post
I know you said you've tried this but everyone else seems to be able to disable the Saitek Gamers' Keyboard Hot Keys (USB) in the device manager to get it working?

Can you give it another shot? There isn't really else I can do sorry..
I did not see that solution before. This is working for me. Thanks.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:08 PM   #60
DaracSjet

No worries. It was in this thread on an earlier page.

enjoy.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Shatter