Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Supreme Commander series

Old 03-17-2010, 08:35 PM   #1
Venomous Zer0

First DLC (Suggestion)

On the new Steam UI, there is link to DLC (DownLoadable Content). I would like to see the very first DLC be, unlike a map-pack as in most games, an ACU pack. If they added 5 to 10 new ACUs for each faction, I'd pay up to $5 for that. I really, really hate what they did to the Cybran Nation ACU, and would love to see a return of the original, or something even cooler looking.

If the first DLC for this game is a map-pack, I'm going to be very angry. I don't know where developers got it in their heads that its okay to make us pay for things like map packs, and restrict us from playing certain parts of the game if we don't buy them (see: Halo 3). DLC should be for the players who want to add a little extra to their game that isn't going to affect anyone else if they don't wish to purchase it, and I think some new ACUs would be a perfect start.

So what does everyone else think? Would you like to see ACU downloads? Would you be willing to pay for them? Would you like to see them only if you didn't have to pay for them?

Old 03-17-2010, 09:04 PM   #2
Buttons

I'll buy an expansion for 30 bucks or more if it's good. I don't buy low priced DLC, and certainly not map packs.

GPG tries selling a map pack and they're dead to me.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:43 PM   #3
emerald750

The only problem with your idea is it's just a skin pack. I would expect to have skins for free considering they don't actually do anything other than show that you spent $5 or so on a few simple skins.

Now, to my suggestion to your idea, the ACUs that would be added should have major differences. For example an ACU that has very low health, can't shoot, no AA guns etc but has something like +500% build speed and more radar range or something. Or perhaps an aircraft commander that has gunship-ish abilities (as in it can't target airplanes but can target other gunships and transports) but it builds slower than normal commanders. Anyway yeah stuff like that I would tottaly agree with.

EDIT: Another quick idea is a "Commander" that is actually a large platform covered with turrets, AA guns and a land factory (basicly it's a SC1 Fatboy) but it can't move and it cannot build at all- it relies on it's built in factory to make engineers, restricting your build speed to that of your engineers.

Last edited by emerald750: 03-17-2010 at 09:49 PM. Reason: New ACU Idea
emerald750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:43 PM   #4
RCIX

That is an interesting idea, add another ACU for each faction with an alternate research tree and stuff. Though 5-10 for each is a monumental amount of work.

Ideas for ACUs:
Cybran: Assault Crawler ACU
has only minimal engineering capacity but moves fairly fast and is highly upgradable in terms of weapons.

Aeon: Jogger
A lighter model of ACU, it focuses heavily on engineering (providing a 10% cost reduction to all buildings built with it), but is unarmed and

UEF: Tactical Engineer
Heavily armored and high engineering ability (light cost reduction and builds faster than an engineer), but no weapons whatsoever beyond light defense upgrades.

I'd see a menu for deciding which you like default, and then the option to build any after popping the escape pod. Which means of course that the escape pods have to be interchangeable.
RCIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:00 PM   #5
Venomous Zer0

Excellent ideas from both of you!

@emerald750:
They're not just skins, they would be new meshes too, to actually change the model of the ACU.

@emerald750 and RCIX
The only problem with your opinions is that this would change gameplay, meaning that those who choose not to pay for the DLC would be at a disadvantage to those of us that did. But if this was included in a free patch instead of DLC, these would be excellent things to add to the game!

I really hope we do see new ACUs, whether they change the gameplay or not. I miss my old Cybran ACU like a fish misses water .
Old 03-17-2010, 10:18 PM   #6
thePyro_13

I wouldn't want gameplay changing DLC, it wouldn't be fair to add new strategic options for some players but not others(Though I do like your ideas emerald xD).

I wonder if they will charge for DLC? I would like to seem them release things like extra maps and new units(or ACU variants) for free, so that everyone can take advantage of them.

I'd be happy for them to sell alternate meshs and skins for ACU's or Experamentals. Or some extra single player missions. just as long as they keep the multiplayer field nice and even.

Try to avoid outright expansions as they would split the already relatively small player base in half.(unless they are compatible like DOW2 or CoH expansions)
thePyro_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:22 PM   #7
RCIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePyro_13 View Post
I wouldn't want gameplay changing DLC, it wouldn't be fair to add new strategic options for some players but not others(Though I do like your ideas emerald xD).
I presume that we're talking paid DLC here? because i don't think anyone would object to "here have some units"...
RCIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:24 PM   #8
Nanobot o0O0o

Sigh. I like reading threads like this, because it's cool to see neat ideas and great camaraderie.
I get all grumpy reading threads like this because people start asking for these amazingly complex and time consuming changes to the game (right, fellow programmers?). Like asking for a good mid budget action movie to have James Cameron special effects in the sequel.

Anyway, I do like this thread idea, and I'd like for GPG to:

1) Create a fully functional SupCom2 website (Eg. MIA right now!), that actually takes all the SupCom2 content spread all over the damn internet and put it in one place.
1a) Short video tutorials, interactive unit webpages showing tech tree upgrades (some random fans have already started this functionality, c'mon GPG!), and community support with posting of videos, and etc... PROMOTE VIA WORD OF MOUTH - FAN SUPPORT

2) I'd like to see a lot more controls over replays. I love this game, but I just saw the Starcraft2 replay system, and the UI-functionality is where the 21st Century RTS replay system is headed. You can see what the players are building, their APM, their economy, their Chats, their point of view, powerful Observer tools, etc... OH! You can REWIND the replay in 1 minute intervals. Granted, SC2 has 40-80 MILLION dollars more budget than SupCom2.
2a) The only thing StarCraft2 doesn't have that GPG could beat them at is removal of all UI for video/YouTube recording (simple). Or simply recording clips from replays (Halo 3) (harder)

3) Create a game type in-between Assasination & Supremecy. Hunting around for some jerk's final unit is a terrible gamer experience. Some kind of "Annihilation" game-type could set winning conditions to the destruction of ACU, Engineers, and Factories. At that point, you cannot produce new units, and you're probably done.
3a) Creating more Mp/Lobby tools. Starting economy, Mass extractor rate (to avoid energy conversion farms), etc.. There's a whole new game awaiting with Lobby tools.
====================================

I'd like to see a rally cry for better support, better UI, and THEN we can discuss introducing features/units that can have a dynamic effect on the game/maps.

P.S. OF COURSE, it's going to be a map pack, plus a little sprinkling of stuff. That's what game companies do. Except GPG actually cares what they put in their DLC. Lucky for you, you CAN play them if the host has the map, (Unlike Halo 3 / Microsoft jerk-wads!)

Last edited by Nanobot o0O0o: 03-17-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:57 PM   #9
aleksanderstorm

Isn't Supremacy already 'can't build anything, game over' ..? Annihilation would be the 'kill every last unit', to the best of my recollection of the original game's modes...
Old 03-18-2010, 12:06 AM   #10
thePyro_13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCIX View Post
I presume that we're talking paid DLC here? because i don't think anyone would object to "here have some units"...
Of cause, I do remember Chris saying he wants to go like Total Annihilation and just keep adding units though patches. And that would be awesome! I just don't want games to be decided by what DLC people could afford.

I'm hoping they keep the paid DLC to a minimum and just keep adding content TA and TF2 style. However I really don't mind if they add alternate ACU looks and stuff like that if they wanna charge for them. As long as they don't become a necessity to score well online(eg. don't effect the gameplay).
thePyro_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:20 AM   #11
ThadiusCole

The ACU idea is different, not sure I would go for it personally but if they did add new ACU's promoting new strategies then it would be interesting to see.

Personally I would like packs of units as DLC. Similar to Empire total war and its "elite units" system. Add roughly 10-15 new units with each pack, for a decent price of course Maybe a mini expansion down the line that adds maps, new campaign and modes for multiplayer or something like that.
ThadiusCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:44 AM   #12
aleksanderstorm

To counter some of the points made, what if they set it up so that if someone doesn't have the DLC in a given game, the DLC isn't and can't be enabled, just like the case with mods in the original game? The only exception to this should be (and have been - the retailer-exclusives count as DLC, I think) the maps. And/Or perhaps an option to allow the DLC.

EDIT: Oh, also, I actually like the new Cybran ACU- it's more unique with that hunched over form. Reminds me of a few BattleMechs (BattleTech), actually. But I will admit I do miss the old one, as well, I just appreciate the new one. It is true the Cybran ACU got the biggest change of all of them, and thus more likely to cause drama.

Last edited by aleksanderstorm: 03-18-2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:28 AM   #13
Spiffington

Adding alternative ACUs would steer the game into basically the same territory as demigod.

In saying that it could be interesting to have something like a construction based ACU as an alternative to a combat based ACU - but I guess thats the point of the research tree.

If they made it so some research for the ACU makes other research no longer accessible, that could be interesting. Similarly to how in the first game each arm of the ACU would only support one upgrade at a time.

The ACU is clearly a powerful unit, but it needs an insurance policy for it to be particularly effective. To some extent the escape pop covers that, but its still very vulnerable.

If they had some kind of central structure where the ACU would respawn if destroyed, that would allow you to use the ACU more pro-actively. In consequence only once this structure is destroyed does the ACU become truly vulnerable.

Then again Ive never played demigod, but ive got a feeling that is exactly how the gameplay works.. doesnt mean its a bad idea though.

On an unrelated topic why doesnt the ACU teleport in at the start of the match anymore? Aside from the fact it would destroy your initial engineers.. It was a very iconic feature of the first game... They always ruin the little things..

In the end i cant imagine how DLC will work. If you have it, you will most likely have an advantage by virtue of having paid more. Its a dangerous path for an RTS.

Last edited by Spiffington: 03-18-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:45 AM   #14
Lord Sweryda

Dlc sucks and it nickels and dimes you until before you know it you spent over 100$ on the game

If there is dlc it should only be skins and other non-game changing contene
Lord Sweryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:49 PM   #15
aleksanderstorm

As I pointed out, if people are afraid of DLC vs non-DLC matches ruining things, they should set it up like how the Mod manager worked in the original Supreme Commander- if players in the game don't have the content, then it won't be available.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Supreme Commander series