Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > EverQuest series

Old 03-18-2010, 08:08 AM   #1
Adam Banman

EQ1 FTP

I would really like to play EQ1, and with a 2.50 deal now would seem like a good time.

But alas, this game still requires a monthly fee, woe is me!

For such an ancient game, I dont see why they don't adopt a FTP system, I'm not sure what the fee is, but im assuming its still around 12-15$?

Old 03-18-2010, 09:03 AM   #2
whateva

I was just about to ask the same thing, why have a subscription fee with this game when they have everquest II out, but its SOE and there greed knows no bounds.
whateva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:21 PM   #3
clok1966

Not to be rude, but couldnt you have added to the other threads about this? I have read several on the subscription fee, the download page on steam states there is one.

New expansions are still being made, servers are still being mantained, Bandwidth is still getting used, noe of this is free. Unforntalty the smaller a game gets the harder it is to keep going with the "standard" $14.99 subscription price 99% of all online pay to play games charge (even older ones then EQ).Its not a greed thing. its been stated in many developers blogs, articles, etc.. a break even point at the current $14.99 price point(pay for servers, upkeep, and bandwidth) for old games is 70,000-100,000 players, EQ is rumoured to be at 150,000. That doenst leave much for new content, yet EQ has added some almost every single year. then think EQ has been around a long time (11 years) alot of that old infratructer needs replaceing from time to time. Think about al the new games that dont even last a year (les then 50,000 subscribers)..

There are actually quite a few of Free to Play games out there, many are very good, many have huge player bases. If paying isnt your thing, they are the games for you. I do understand $15 is plenty... to many people.. and I do feel for you.. but the solution is easy, cant afford to play, dont..

I havent played EQ in 7 years, and just bought hte $2.50 deal.. kinda excited to check it out..

While i wont say SOE isnt greedy, I cant think of a single for Profit business that doesnt want to make money. They do have a Free to Play game out called FREE REALMS, its quite populour it seems as it just posted the 8 millionth subscriber (or was it the 10th million?).

Since we are not on a SONY forum..

Perfect world
Realms of Magic
Sword of the new World
AD&D Online

all very good free to play games. As so many base the standard on WoW right now, Realms of Magic is the most like it (almost a copy).
clok1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:24 PM   #4
Mazena

Pay in three month periods like I do. Gets a lot cheaper in the long run.

God, I forgot how much I used to love this game.
Mazena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:26 PM   #5
Adam Banman

I get that it takes money to keep servers up, but, COME ON. D&D online is FTP, they have other ways of bringing in income, even if the monthly fee was 5$ i could justify it, but a full monthly fee for such an old game.

In the words of Marvin Tikvah from Mad TV "Everquest...COME ON!"
Old 03-18-2010, 03:09 PM   #6
Ggd07

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by clok1966 View Post
Not to be rude, but couldnt you have added to the other threads about this? I have read several on the subscription fee, the download page on steam states there is one.

New expansions are still being made, servers are still being mantained, Bandwidth is still getting used, noe of this is free. Unforntalty the smaller a game gets the harder it is to keep going with the "standard" $14.99 subscription price 99% of all online pay to play games charge (even older ones then EQ).Its not a greed thing. its been stated in many developers blogs, articles, etc.. a break even point at the current $14.99 price point(pay for servers, upkeep, and bandwidth) for old games is 70,000-100,000 players, EQ is rumoured to be at 150,000. That doenst leave much for new content, yet EQ has added some almost every single year. then think EQ has been around a long time (11 years) alot of that old infratructer needs replaceing from time to time. Think about al the new games that dont even last a year (les then 50,000 subscribers)..

There are actually quite a few of Free to Play games out there, many are very good, many have huge player bases. If paying isnt your thing, they are the games for you. I do understand $15 is plenty... to many people.. and I do feel for you.. but the solution is easy, cant afford to play, dont..

I havent played EQ in 7 years, and just bought hte $2.50 deal.. kinda excited to check it out..

While i wont say SOE isnt greedy, I cant think of a single for Profit business that doesnt want to make money. They do have a Free to Play game out called FREE REALMS, its quite populour it seems as it just posted the 8 millionth subscriber (or was it the 10th million?).

Since we are not on a SONY forum..

Perfect world
Realms of Magic
Sword of the new World
AD&D Online

all very good free to play games. As so many base the standard on WoW right now, Realms of Magic is the most like it (almost a copy).
Isn't it Runes of Magic, not Realms of Magic ?
Ggd07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:11 PM   #7
clok1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Banman View Post
I get that it takes money to keep servers up, but, COME ON. D&D online is FTP, they have other ways of bringing in income, even if the monthly fee was 5$ i could justify it, but a full monthly fee for such an old game.

In the words of Marvin Tikvah from Mad TV "Everquest...COME ON!"
Well Depending on how much faith you put in what people (game companies and designers) say publicy. the AD&D team said they had dipped below the "break even" point (they where suposed to be at about 90,000) and couldnt keep it going. Originaly the plan was a shut down, then to be sold to a asian company (they seem to like to buy the old MMO games). Then they decided to try the FTP method. They said they had went from $15 a user to $24 a user... I dont think its true, or there is some marketing spin. If its true, there is more money in FTP. there has to be "OK" money in it as there are more and more of them.

I understand where you are coming from, and like I say I do feel for you, but (again if you believe what they say) EQ isnt really making any money, I'm sure its making some, but I doubt its even remotly close to being an real earner. In the past few years EQ has done everything but give you free EXP and ITEMS (well they do give you items for playing each year and when you buy exp packs, and ok there is bonus exp for sticking around to hehe) to keep the player base... thats not a game thats makeing money... its a game that cant afford to lose anymore players.

you could be right, maybe EQ is making boatloads of money.. but If we could find out the "truth" i would bet on enough to keep it going, but not enough to do more...

I will admit for somthing like $7-8 a month I would reup for sure for awhile.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:13 PM   #8
clok1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggd07 View Post
Isn't it Runes of Magic, not Realms of Magic ?
opps I believe your right...

actually a pretty good game, would still be playing but when i was, it was alot like all MMORPG launchs. it was unfished, buggy and down alot And i soon passed almost all the content and had nothing to do..
Old 03-23-2010, 01:38 AM   #9
jonsnow13

free to play brings in a lot of money.

Fact of the matter is it's not so much "free to play" as it is clever business sense.

For instance, allowing people to buy in game goods for real life money then charging a "fee" on top of the sale price for buying it in game (banning outside purchases) is smart business sense.

A good example is LoL (League of Legends).

I love the game, I play it all the time with my buddies (every Friday and Sunday) and it's pretty much the only game I play online anymore (I have a laptop, abandoned the expensive upgrade your pc mentality) and i'm happy playing it.

It's free to play. Or you can pay, and get all the heroes. For more than what a pay to play game would charge, for less than a pay to play game would provide. There are those with money who don't want to grind to the max level. I am one of them. I've spent probably 70 dollars on LoL buying skins, heroes, etc... because I only play Friday and Saturday.. I work 60+ hours a week maintaining my family's lifestyle. This is my one pleasure anymore, and I'd spend plenty on it.

The thing is time is more valuable to me, and once companies learn to capitalize on peoples time... then they won't need pay to play models.

You offer me the option of jumping from level 40 to 60 in WoW in it's early days for 50 bucks, I'd pay it.

The reason I dont' play MMORPG's anymore is because when I was younger I played them 24/7 nonstop and obsessively. Now I can't play them at all, as they're all the same game over and over and over again just skinned differently. They're essentially a single player game in most instances with Ventrilo (the ability to chat freely with others). Why do I say such an absurd thing? Well most the time unless you play 24/7 with each other (impossible) you're going to be different levels, and you're not going to be able to play together. Then some games would punish you for grouping. Ah, the old days. How I hate the grind. I hate it. I'll never play another MMORPG simply because of the grind. It's stupid, and pointless. Let people choose to do it, or not... and take advantage of it. I don't care. I work and have money.

Grinding to me is like beating your head against the wall. You might as well consider your life not worth living, as it's pointless (it's a means to an end) it's not fun (most mobs are recolored/resized and exactly the same just diff stats) and it takes a lot of time (some games I've played took 20 hours of grinding to level, Lineage 2 for instance). Not to mention after each level you have to regear! ARGHHHH!!!

Last edited by jonsnow13: 03-23-2010 at 01:43 AM.
jonsnow13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:58 PM   #10
Dreakon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsnow13 View Post
free to play brings in a lot of money.

Fact of the matter is it's not so much "free to play" as it is clever business sense.

For instance, allowing people to buy in game goods for real life money then charging a "fee" on top of the sale price for buying it in game (banning outside purchases) is smart business sense.

A good example is LoL (League of Legends).

I love the game, I play it all the time with my buddies (every Friday and Sunday) and it's pretty much the only game I play online anymore (I have a laptop, abandoned the expensive upgrade your pc mentality) and i'm happy playing it.

It's free to play. Or you can pay, and get all the heroes. For more than what a pay to play game would charge, for less than a pay to play game would provide. There are those with money who don't want to grind to the max level. I am one of them. I've spent probably 70 dollars on LoL buying skins, heroes, etc... because I only play Friday and Saturday.. I work 60+ hours a week maintaining my family's lifestyle. This is my one pleasure anymore, and I'd spend plenty on it.

The thing is time is more valuable to me, and once companies learn to capitalize on peoples time... then they won't need pay to play models.

You offer me the option of jumping from level 40 to 60 in WoW in it's early days for 50 bucks, I'd pay it.

The reason I dont' play MMORPG's anymore is because when I was younger I played them 24/7 nonstop and obsessively. Now I can't play them at all, as they're all the same game over and over and over again just skinned differently. They're essentially a single player game in most instances with Ventrilo (the ability to chat freely with others). Why do I say such an absurd thing? Well most the time unless you play 24/7 with each other (impossible) you're going to be different levels, and you're not going to be able to play together. Then some games would punish you for grouping. Ah, the old days. How I hate the grind. I hate it. I'll never play another MMORPG simply because of the grind. It's stupid, and pointless. Let people choose to do it, or not... and take advantage of it. I don't care. I work and have money.

Grinding to me is like beating your head against the wall. You might as well consider your life not worth living, as it's pointless (it's a means to an end) it's not fun (most mobs are recolored/resized and exactly the same just diff stats) and it takes a lot of time (some games I've played took 20 hours of grinding to level, Lineage 2 for instance). Not to mention after each level you have to regear! ARGHHHH!!!
First of all, it sounds like you really a picked a bunch of winners if you were looking for games without grind. EverQuest and Lineage II in particular (welcome to the world of korean grinding MMO's), were notorious for taking too long to get anywhere in and really takes a certain kind of person to enjoy it. I think EverQuest may have taken a few hints from World of Warcraft though and eased up a little though. What was next on your list of MMORPG's anyways, Final Fantasy 11?

Second of all, if you play a MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER game with only a handful of friends, then yes... it can be essentially a single player game with a chatroom function. Most people play these games to form groups and play with random people (some people find it fun to meet new people, even just in a game), or to join guilds and have 30-40 or more people at their fingertips, go on raids with 60+ other players... not to play the same 4 people every Friday and Saturday.

Third of all, I'm sorry you have to work 60+ hours to maintain your families lifestyle. With that said however, most people don't. Most people work average 40 hour work weeks (and in the case of most gamers, probably considerably less) and enjoy escaping into a game where they can play for a few hours every other night and always have something to do (group with random pick up groups, solo and just enjoy level progression and getting new spells and skills and equipment, chat with friends, PvP in some games, what have you). Maybe MMORPG's aren't for you anymore and that's fine, but that doesnt mean there's anything wrong with them and suddenly League of Legends is the standard (especially considering League of Legends isn't even a MMORPG...) Which leads to the next point.

Fourth of all, which game has and will achieve more success in it's lifetime... EverQuest or League of Legends? How about World of Warcraft and League of Legends? How about EverQuest and Dungeons and Dragons Online (which recently adopted a free-to-play model)? Exactly. I'm not saying that monthly fee's automatically indicate success, nor that free to play games are doomed to a life of mediocrity. However with a constant means of money coming in (monthly subscriptions), the company running the game has better means to fix problems, produce more substantial content updates and expansions, and better service and support overall (something many free to play games severely lack in)... which is pretty much the formula to having and maintaining a decently populated and long lasting MMO.

P.S: For the record, I am not nor have I ever been addicted to MMORPG's. I played EverQuest back in the day and got to level 26 over the course of the 2 years I played it on and off. The last MMORPG I played was World of Warcraft, got to level 30 and had to quit since I too decided to switch to a cheaper laptop because gaming was no longer important enough to me to warrant spending a lot of a desktop PC. This is just my view of MMORPG's, the people that play them and the companies that run them. Even if I don't play them, I still keep up with the gaming world lol.

Last edited by Dreakon: 03-23-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Dreakon is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > EverQuest series