Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Command & Conquer series

Old 03-18-2010, 09:16 AM   #1
MDrm

PC Gamer article: Here's exactly what happens if you're disconnected while playing

Read it here.

Quoting it fully:

Much like Ubisoft's newest games, when C&C4 is released tomorrow it will only work while you're connected to EA's servers. We've done some extensive cable-yanking experiments to see how the game reacts if you're disconnected from them during play, and the results are... bad.

After creating an account, assigning your serial number to it and logging into the game, you still need to be online to start a single player game: if not, you're logged out and unable to play.

Once you're in-game, getting disconnected produces this message:

PIC

As it says, you can continue to play, but your progress won't be saved.

I tried reconnecting, then continuing with the mission and eventually completing it. But at the end, I was booted back to the main menu, all progress lost. My internet connection had been working fine, but the game never bothered to reconnect me to EA's servers.

Once it's been disconnected, it doesn't seem to make any attempt to reconnect. That means even a momentary interruption to your connection kills your session completely: everything you do from then on is pointless.

The only way to avoid losing progress is to save your game the moment you get that message, quit out, then start it again. Otherwise, you won't be connected to EA's servers even if you're connected to the internet, and finishing any mission will erase all your progress.

We've already seen with Ubisoft's authentication servers that your own internet connection is not the only requirement with these systems: the publisher's servers have to be up and working too, and this is by no means guaranteed. Now, if your connection to EA's servers is lost even for a moment, everything you do from then on is a waste of time. You have to quit the game and restart it to even attempt to reconnect.

It gets worse.

EA have previously shut down the multiplayer servers for 78 of their games, sometimes barely more than a year after release. On Tuesday, they shut down all servers for PC games Mercenaries 2 and Lord of the Rings: Conquest, which only came out last year. Naturally we contacted EA to ask how long they intended to keep the servers for C&C 4 online, but have received no response.

All the while, EA's Command & Conquer Community Manager is claiming "Command & Conquer 4 has NO DRM" on their forums. This is seemingly by some new definition of digital rights management, in which systems that restrict your ability to play don't count.

The game revolves around earning experience points to unlock access to new units, and this information is stored on EA's servers. A remotely useful feature for some, but does nothing to explain why anyone should be required to stay online to play.

C&C4 is out in Europe tomorrow. Our review isn't on sale just yet, but I can tell you we didn't much care for the game.

Last edited by MDrm: 03-18-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:25 AM   #2
DJ_Professor_K

You could have quoted... my interwebz at work has some sites blocked
DJ_Professor_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:29 AM   #3
MDrm

Done but you'll miss the pic of the disconnect message.
MDrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:51 AM   #4
Mindsmog

Thumbs down

tbh games like this should be boycotted, but im sure people will just go out and blindly buy it. i for one wont be as i dont believe in Games companies dictating to me how and when i can play the game i paid for, disgusting EA
Mindsmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:57 AM   #5
Melcadrien

This is a failure on their hands. Single-player should always be offline, no matter what. If they shut down the servers, that would mean everyone who purchased this game will be infuriated, annoyed, and mad, and would most likely demand a refund(if possible).

Moral of the story, Never make single-player online.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:10 PM   #6
MDrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindsmog View Post
tbh games like this should be boycotted, but im sure people will just go out and blindly buy it. i for one wont be as i dont believe in Games companies dictating to me how and when i can play the game i paid for, disgusting EA
Don't worry, ACII has bombed badly across all platforms digital and retail. Just check the EULA charts, the Steam, D2D, Gamersgate charts, etc. ACII has been boycotted effectively.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:10 PM   #7
st3vie

I was wondering... will they release a patch in a few years time to remove this DRM part? Or will you just be unable to play the game when they pull the plug on the servers after a few years?
st3vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:03 PM   #8
DragonFlyM13

EA just drew the final straw, i'm not getting C&C4 after reading this.
DragonFlyM13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:00 PM   #9
FocusPocus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrm View Post
Don't worry, ACII has bombed badly across all platforms digital and retail. Just check the EULA charts, the Steam, D2D, Gamersgate charts, etc. ACII has been boycotted effectively.
Across all platforms? Not true atall.

For a game thats been out on the Xbox and Ps3 more than 6 months ago, now released on the PC with the exact content it has done quite well.

This isnt an FPS game, its played best with a controller, another reason people bought it on the consoles.

I think the DRM has very little effect on sales. I dont know what sales chart you are looking at, Assasins Creed has been in the top 10 on steam weekly best seller since pre-release till the time I am writing this message. Command And Conquer 4 is currently the #2 best seller on steam.
FocusPocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:03 PM   #10
MDrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusPocus View Post

For a game thats been out on the Xbox and Ps3 more than 6 months ago, now released on the PC with the exact content it has done quite well.

This isnt an FPS game, its played best with a controller, another reason people bought it on the consoles.

I think the DRM has very little effect on sales. I dont know what sales chart you are looking at, Assasins Creed has been in the top 10 on steam weekly best seller since pre-release till the time I am writing this message. Command And Conquer 4 is currently the #2 best seller on steam.
Let me rephrase that, SALES platforms. And the only chart that you should consult is the weekly chart, which indeed is a better image of the sales all week and the only chart that is reported to the media. Guess what, ACII is not there.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:21 PM   #11
airblad3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrm View Post
Done but you'll miss the pic of the disconnect message.
I want the pic too
airblad3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:34 PM   #12
exmagus

I'm not getting C&C4 and I want to express what I think about EA, but I'll just say it in a picture.
http://techbuddha.files.wordpress.co...e-facepalm.jpg
Old 03-18-2010, 08:15 PM   #13
Nathen007

:

"Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusPocus View Post

I think the DRM has very little effect on sales. I dont know what sales chart you are looking at, Assasins Creed has been in the top 10 on steam weekly best seller since pre-release till the time I am writing this message. Command And Conquer 4 is currently the #2 best seller on steam."

Well there you have it!! The authority on gaming.

You need to Focus more on your gaming and stop smoking cheap weed.
Dude,please tell me you on crack. or something.
Show me the DATA to support your claims.
I bet your even one of the Console dude gaming types.

Jesus, people like this never cease to amaze me.

Last edited by Nathen007: 03-18-2010 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:48 AM   #14
DJ_Professor_K

Argh, only ended up having internet now (back at work) and damn... good thing i didn't get C&C4... i was really with hopes in getting it, but now, its's another dead game...

AC2, C&C4... soon Splinter Cell: Conviction... the possible 2nd worst Prince of Persia to be released too (o
last one was horrible)...

I think i'm gonan stick with indie games from now on.. NS2 almost out and Overgrowth too...
DJ_Professor_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:23 AM   #15
mhz

Banned
Replaying your 40 minute mission is a FEATURE.
mhz is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Command & Conquer series