Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Fallout series

Old 03-20-2010, 12:28 AM   #1
LickMySTDS

Banned
Fallout 3 is full of so many plot holes and inconsistencies it isn't even funny

*obvious spoilers*

- Your companion beeing imune to radiation [Charon, Fawkes, Robot] refusing to start the purifier and thus forcing either you or the Paladin chick fighting with you to start and thus "die" in it.

- When you sacrifice your self you get with a DLC the option to continue your "game" thus making the point of sacrifice completely meaningless

- the "sarifice" of your father in the purifier which, with a perfectly armed and enclave killing son right outside of the door makes no sense (by the way I still didnt figured out how the Col. survived ...)

- Talking the president (if you want one of the main vilains in the game) of the enclave in to suicide in 2 sentences.

- Blowing up Megaton while no one cares to notices it (if that isnt a plot hole then its at least bad design)

- the need for a purifier when it seems to be quite easy for you at least to get water.

-The super mutants are apparently looking for something in the DC ruins but its never revealed or even hinted at what this could be.

-The super mutants can keep the brotherhood at bay but they cant seem to defeat a small village of children defended by a wooden barricade.

And thats not even half of them. Tack on the Terrible writing, atrocious voice acting, embarrassingly easy combat thanks to V.A.T.S, Bad A.I., The crappy DLC's which explain that the aliens are responsible for everything in the fallout universe, and the dumbed down S.P.E.C.I.A.L stats that make it so pretty much any character you make is overpowered by Lv 30. This is pretty much a disgrace to the fallout series.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:58 PM   #2
STEELCITY32

- Fawkes says that it is your destiny to start it, not his.
- Nobody in game thought you would survive.
- He didn't want the Enclave to get the purifier, so he irradiated it. Colnol Autumn supposedly survived wit an advanced form of Rad-X.
- He's a computer, quite easy to convince a computer to do things.
- I'll give Megaton to you.
- The purifier gives clean water in abundance. Pretty hard to come by in nucleo-apocalyptia
- The Super Mutants are looking for more people to turn into Super Mutants.
- The SuperMutants would have easily wiped the floor with those kids if you hadn't helped them.
STEELCITY32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:45 PM   #3
LickMySTDS

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELCITY32 View Post
- Fawkes says that it is your destiny to start it, not his.
- Nobody in game thought you would survive.
- He didn't want the Enclave to get the purifier, so he irradiated it. Colnol Autumn supposedly survived wit an advanced form of Rad-X.
- He's a computer, quite easy to convince a computer to do things.
- I'll give Megaton to you.
- The purifier gives clean water in abundance. Pretty hard to come by in nucleo-apocalyptia
- The Super Mutants are looking for more people to turn into Super Mutants.
- The SuperMutants would have easily wiped the floor with those kids if you hadn't helped them.
-Thats just stupid I don't care if it's "My destiny" if he can activate it without suffering the effects of radiation then he should be able to just turn the thing on without even saying anything.

-That still makes absolutely no sense you would have been able to kill the enclave in the purifier easily so his sacrifice was pointless. Nowhere in the game does it say he survived using Rad-X he's just alive with no explaination.

-Again that makes absolutely no sense just because he's a computer doesn't automatically make it so that I should be able to get him to kill himself with two sentences. The master was part of a computer and it was much harder to get him to kill himself.

-If it's so hard to find then why do you find purified water all over the place in-game before even turning the purifier on.

-Again nowhere in-game does it say this and even if it is true then why are Talon company in the DC ruins and what are they looking for?

-If they would have "easily wiped the floor with them." Then how is it they have been living there for years and still manage to survive from the super mutants it doesn't make any sense. (And they HAVE been living there for years there are some tapes in-game that explain little lamplights origins and that they have been living there since before the bombs fell.)
LickMySTDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:59 PM   #4
STEELCITY32

Just because you go into old caves and buildings on a regular basis to find water doesn't mean everyone does.

And Three Dawg talks about the Super Mutants capturing people to convert them.

If you don't help Big Town, they will get killed by the Muties later.

Even if you did kill all the Enclave at the purifier, they could come back when you are exploring.

Last edited by STEELCITY32: 03-20-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:10 PM   #5
Genosidoh

Oh hey, trolling other forums I see.

The game does have it's inconsistencies, but these are horrible ones to try to single out. In addition to what the others have said...

- You can send Fawkes, Charon, and RL-3 into the purifier with the DLC.

- It does say how the Col. survives, you can see him taking the stuff.

- You find purified water in dangerous locations, where most of the normal populace would not go.

- Yes, it does say this in game if you listen to the conversations. The Super Mutants in the Police HQ even have a scripted conversation saying exactly what they are doing, you just have to listen.

- Some NPC's do comment on the Megaton explosion, in ambient chatter.

- They've been living there for years in spite of the attacks, they mention that Slavers and Mutants come for prisoners, not to burn the town to the ground.
Genosidoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:13 PM   #6
LickMySTDS

Banned
Quote:
Just because you go into old caves and buildings on a regular basis to find water doesn't mean everyone does.

And Three Dawg talks about the Super Mutants capturing people to convert them.

If you don't help Big Town, they will get killed by the Muties later.

Even if you did kill all the Enclave at the purifier, they could come back when you are exploring.
The game states several times that the super mutants are using the FEV to turn people into more mutants. But that still doesnt mean its what they are looking for in the ruins, were would the find the FEV in the DC ruins anyway. For all we know they are looking for a gigantic teddy bear factory.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:32 PM   #7
STEELCITY32

Oh and Talon Company are there because they are mercenaries hired tp hunt you down and kill you.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:51 PM   #8
LickMySTDS

Banned
Quote:
Oh and Talon Company are there because they are mercenaries hired tp hunt you down and kill you.

They are but that doesn't explain why they are all over DC fighting super mutants (like in the capitol building for example.) A theory I have is that some organization hired them to drive the super mutants out. But if thats true then why the couldn't Bethesda put something in the game to at least hint at something.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:20 AM   #9
Hoss

Banned
All the little bits are good. None of it makes sense all in the same frame though.

Whatever.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:22 PM   #10
waramp19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickMySTDS View Post
They are but that doesn't explain why they are all over DC fighting super mutants (like in the capitol building for example.) A theory I have is that some organization hired them to drive the super mutants out. But if thats true then why the couldn't Bethesda put something in the game to at least hint at something.
what's wrong with coming up with your own conclusions? they shouldn't have to spoonfeed you every bit of detail on what's going on in the world
waramp19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:16 AM   #11
Ghostbreed

Banned
Quote:
- Blowing up Megaton while no one cares to notices it (if that isnt a plot hole then its at least bad design)
Daddy cares. and he even calls you his son, even if your player is a female.
Ghostbreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:31 AM   #12
Shiny-Crowbar

Seriously now,what did you expect?

You blow up a hole in another hole for another hole.You want a pat in the back now? Why the hell anyone should care is beyond me.When you murder someone near someone,they even turn and say 'Better him/her than me'.Killing ain't new to wasteland.There are many psychos to go around and you are just one of them.

Col.Autumn takes some sort of pills just as the mini explosion takes place in PPRTY control chamber.Your dad hoped to kill that SOB,so Enclave couldn't dictate the water.

Water purifications are easy when the amounts aren't big.But PPRTY was aimed to purify gigantic amounts of water at once.Thus making it a hard task.

Main story ends the game because Bethesda wanted to sell DLC Broken Steel way before the game release.Take Oblivion DLC's for example.Nothing great and nothing to actually pay it for.Same as Fallout 3.Glad I got the stupid GOTY edition.

Last edited by Shiny-Crowbar: 03-23-2010 at 02:08 PM.
Shiny-Crowbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:41 PM   #13
gentlem

Quote:
*obvious spoilers*

- Your companion beeing imune to radiation [Charon, Fawkes, Robot] refusing to start the purifier and thus forcing either you or the Paladin chick fighting with you to start and thus "die" in it.
If you have broken steel then the companion (whether it be fawkes or charon) will start the purifier.

- When you sacrifice your self you get with a DLC the option to continue your "game" thus making the point of sacrifice completely meaningless You can avoid this all together with you companion and the sacrifice isn't really a sacrifice because you still live.

- the "sarifice" of your father in the purifier which, with a perfectly armed and enclave killing son right outside of the door makes no sense (by the way I still didnt figured out how the Col. survived ...) Your father was setting an example for you, and the colonel probably survived the same way you did after you activated the purifier.

- Talking the president (if you want one of the main vilains in the game) of the enclave in to suicide in 2 sentences.
but in order to do that you do have to search for the codes and hack a hard computer, either way you need a strong science skill to hack it.

People did notice, a few caravans were going down to salvage things from the wreck muttering about how it got blown up, and you dad would notice, and three dog.

- the need for a purifier when it seems to be quite easy for you at least to get water.
that water is in limited supply, and you really had to search for that water sometimes. Your robot can't supply water for the entire capital waste land either, the purifier meant claen water for generations of wastelanders.

-The super mutants are apparently looking for something in the DC ruins but its never revealed or even hinted at what this could be.
They're looking for more FEV (forced evolutionary virus) or looking for more victims to turn into super mutants (they would capture the person and then take them to vault 87 where the FEV is stored (but in limited quantities))

-The super mutants can keep the brotherhood at bay but they cant seem to defeat a small village of children defended by a wooden barricade.
Those were a few mutants, the downtown ruins are filled with them. And if I recall three dog was talking about how the brotherhood really cleaned up the place.

And thats not even half of them. Tack on the Terrible writing, atrocious voice acting, embarrassingly easy combat thanks to V.A.T.S, Bad A.I., The crappy DLC's which explain that the aliens are responsible for everything in the fallout universe, and the dumbed down S.P.E.C.I.A.L stats that make it so pretty much any character you make is overpowered by Lv 30. This is pretty much a disgrace to the fallout series.
It was a bit silly but play on hard mode and go against a super mutant overlord that seem to spawn every where. That's a good challenge. Also New Vegas is coming out in the fall and apparently it's supposed to be a polished version of this. The aliens also weren't responsible for everything that happened, they were just a side story. Have fun hating every game
A quick wiki for all of this and some exploring in the game cleared all of this right up. I put all of my answers in red.
gentlem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:36 AM   #14
llt

Quote:
The Talon Company mercs have a base somewhere in the wasteland, I think it's in the DC Ruins somewhere. Anyway, they may be trying to convert the capitol building and those other places into new Talon company bases, doing a job, or just encountered the super mutants and are fighting for their lives.
llt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:08 AM   #15
syrupwontstopem

When your dad tries to poison everyone you can very easily see the colonel grab a needle and plunge it into his arm before collapsing. Basically all of your "plot inconsistencies" are just you pretty much lacking any observational skills
syrupwontstopem is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Fallout series