Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Supreme Commander series

Old 03-27-2010, 12:11 PM   #1
Norgel

Supreme Commander 2 Is Not Responding

So SC2 works fine on my LCD monitor, but when I try to run it on my CRT, it doesn't work. Any thoughts on how to fix this? And I cant just use the LCD all the time, since it's in another location.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:21 PM   #2
chaosfox60

It could be something simple like the resolution your trying to play it in isn't supported by your CRT.

Anyway more info please are you just getting a black screen? error msg? etc
chaosfox60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:25 PM   #3
Norgel

I get the traditional vista "Supreme Commander 2 Application has stopped working" error window when I try to start it. And I've tried running it in different resolutions. I've also tried to change the monitor's refresh rate, but anything over 60 hertz and the monitor just goes black.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:27 PM   #4
Aesir Rising

Same computer different monitor? Or two entirely different computers and monitors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norgel View Post
<snip> And I've tried running it in different resolutions. I've also tried to change the monitor's refresh rate, but anything over 60 hertz and the monitor just goes black.
CRTs and LCD work differently and resolution isn't the only thing you may need to change. Make/model of the CRT (and LCD I suppose) please, as well as your video card and operating system/version.

Last edited by Aesir Rising: 03-27-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Aesir Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:38 PM   #5
Norgel

One computer and 2 monitors. Dunno the specs of the LCD off the top of my head.

Monitor : philips 107S 17 inch CRT
Video Card: Galaxy 9500 GT
Operating System: Windows Vista
Old 03-27-2010, 01:51 PM   #6
ctheredemption

"supreme commander 2 application has stopped working"

Im having the same problem it loaded 100% but every time i try to open it i get the same message first it says "preparing to launch SC2..." then the screen goes black for a second and blinks and it pops up "supreme commander 2 application has stopped working" does anyone know how i can get it to work
Old 03-27-2010, 03:25 PM   #7
Aesir Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norgel View Post
One computer and 2 monitors. Dunno the specs of the LCD off the top of my head.

Monitor : philips 107S 17 inch CRT
Video Card: Galaxy 9500 GT
Operating System: Windows Vista
Game.prefs is a settings file. I suspect it is storing a resolution/refresh rate that your CRT can't support. The next few steps will explore that possibility.
  1. Hook up to the CRT.
  2. Find Game.prefs. To do this, do:
  3. Start | Run | %LOCALAPPDATA%\Gas Powered Games\Supreme Commander 2 <ENTER>
  4. Rename the current Game.prefs to Game.prefsLCD.

Going for the easy kill, start the game and see what happens. Since you renamed the file, it should create a new one - and hopefully one based upon your current and presumeably functional CRT resolution, bit-depth, and vertical refresh rate settings.

About your monitor:
Philips lists 3 models of 107S manufactured between 2001-2003.
107S1198
107S11199

107S2198

Philips only provides information about the 2003 model (107S2198), so I will work from that model's user guide.

It has a maximum resolution of 1280 x 1024, with a flicker free display of 1024 x 768 at up to 89 Hz. When a manufacturer says this, it usually means 1280x1024 is going to max out at an uncomfortable 60hz v-refresh. Which happens to be what LCDs report to the operating system (60hz or 59hz). This is probably at the root of the issue.

What I suggest is dropping the game resolution to 1024x768, and set the monitor's vrate to 72hz or 75hz. Just to get it working, within the stated specification. Incidentally, the black screen is often a symptom of a CRT monitor trying hard not to explode when a user tries to run it beyond its specification. You didn't offer specs for your LCD so I can't confirm if this is what happened.

If the game runs on your CRT, and the monitor appears functional, rename the new Game.prefs to Game.prefsCRT and save it someplace. You may be swapping files after playing, and before hooking up the next monitor. You may end up running the LCD at a resolution/refresh rate the CRT supports, or perhaps just manually editing the file (which is easy enough to do). Just see if you can get it working for now and we can follow up about stuff like that later.

The "traditional vista" error you mention may or may not be related to running the monitor out-of-spec. Deal with that seperately if needed.

ctheredemption: I have no idea if what you have is the same or not. Not picking on you specifically, because it's a common occurence, but I do get annoyed having to play 20 questions just to get basic system information about someone's problems. So dish it out already.
Aesir Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 04:01 PM   #8
Norgel

renaming the gamepref thing worked, thanks brudda

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Supreme Commander series