Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2010, 11:21 PM   #1
lailai
 
Banned
Join Date: Mar 2010
Reputation: 30
Posts: 276
GUIDE: How to get better mouse precision

Mouse acceleration is a annoying feature found in all versions of Microsoft Windows that artificially increases the speed of your mouse cursor based on how fast you move the mouse across your mouse pad. It sounds like a great feature in theory, in fact, Microsoft even calls the setting to “Enable pointer precision”; unfortunately it does the exact opposite and destroys any precision you may have had!

Many gamers don’t realize that mouse acceleration comes enabled by default. Little do they know that every stroke of their mouse is different; inconsistent due to a mathematical formula calculating the speed at which they move their mouse.

The game is plagued with inconsistency because moving the mouse from point A to point B is never the same. By disabling mouse acceleration, no matter how fast or slow you move the mouse, movement from point A to point B will be the same. This results in much greater accuracy, increased consistency.

To disable it from Windows, open up your “Control Panel” From here open the “Mouse” panel, select the “Pointer Options” tab and un-check the “Enhance pointer precision” check-box.

That is only halfway there.. Unfortunately Windows also have a smaller mouse acceleration even if you disable it. This is probably because you will not get used to mac/linux's mouse settings and will buy microsoft products so they make more $$$. You need to edit the registery to fully get rid of it.

>Only continue if you have common sense.
[Works with XP, Vista and Windows 7]
1. Click Start button
2. Select Run
3. Type 'regedit' in the open textbox
4. Open the tree 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER', select control panel, then select mouse
5. Right clicking, modify the SmoothMouseXCurve and SmoothMouseYCurve hexidecimal values to the following:

SmoothMouseXCurve:
00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00
00,a0,00,00,00,00,00,00
00,40,01,00,00,00,00,00
00,80,02,00,00,00,00,00
00,00,05,00,00,00,00,00

SmoothMouseYCurve:
00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00
66,a6,02,00,00,00,00,00
cd,4c,05,00,00,00,00,00
a0,99,0a,00,00,00,00,00
38,33,15,00,00,00,00,00

If done correctly, you will notice you are holding a markedly more responsive mouse.
>Please reply if this have helped you, so then more people can see this.
Don't believe me?
Quote:
It'll take a second, but in the long run its very beneficial.
Quote:
Ok, Im playtesting a bit right now and i feel its really helpful for being a sniper
Quote:
a huge % of cs/css players already use this method
Quote:
mouse acceleration is terrible for fps games, thats why most competitive players have it off already. turning off mouse acceleration means that you always know exactly how far to move your mouse to get directly onto someone head,

with mouse acceleration on you dont, as that distance is a variable depending on how fast you move the mouse.
Quote:
WHY ARE U HELPING THE NOOBASORUSES

this is one of the small secrets of the "pro killers" who have good aim

why are you let the secret out of bag
Quote:
The mouse really feels more responsive.
Quote:
Just turned it off and it does feel more responsive. I'll go in-game and try it out.
Quote:
This definitely makes it feel smoother and control way better.

+rep
Quote:
Best post on this forum FOREVER.
5star and another satisfied customer
this is from here, because I typed it out, then found I made a spelling mistake in title. I'm not going to type 5 paragraphs again, so I just c/p'd the content from that site.

Last edited by lailai: 03-31-2010 at 06:53 AM.
lailai is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:32 PM   #2
BrancoXIII
 
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Reputation: 0
Posts: 56
I wonder after Ive played all these times with acceleration will I have heavy (many thanks!) problems with the new settings?
BrancoXIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:34 PM   #3
lailai
 
Banned
Join Date: Mar 2010
Reputation: 30
Posts: 276
You need some time to get used to it, it takes around 11 hours of (combined) mouse-using time to get used to it, I now find it easier to get head shots and I'm better with flare gun now
lailai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:36 PM   #4
kiLo.density
 
Banned
Join Date: Mar 2010
Reputation: 9
Posts: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrancoXIII View Post
I wonder after Ive played all these times with acceleration will I have heavy (many thanks!) problems with the new settings?
It'll take a second, but in the long run its very beneficial.
kiLo.density is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:37 PM   #5
lailai
 
Banned
Join Date: Mar 2010
Reputation: 30
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf-Enabled View Post
Nice job copying and pasting from this.

http://bannco.com/index.php?option=c...ic=536&Itemid=
I typed it out, then I found I made a spelling mistake in title and deleted the thread. **** this, I googled and c/p'd from a site. Mods can check out my deletion log (I assume they have that). That post is c/p'd from this actually
http://www.nextlevelgamer.com/tweaks...-in-windows-xp
lailai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:41 PM   #6
Wolf-Enabled
 
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Reputation: 552
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by lailai View Post
I typed it out, then I found I made a spelling mistake in title and deleted the thread. **** this, I googled and c/p'd from a site. Mods can check out my deletion log (I assume they have that). That post is c/p'd from this actually
http://www.nextlevelgamer.com/tweaks...-in-windows-xp
Which has parts copy and pasted from other sites. The internet is made up of copy and pasting. I was just messing with you. Yeah I fixed my mouse precision like a year ago, and my aim definitely improved within the first day of changing it. It's only gone uphill from there.
Wolf-Enabled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:42 PM   #7
LOL-ness
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Reputation: 110
Posts: 628
Question: Does this work for Windows 7?

PS: I swear I saw a similar thread on this forum some time ago, can't find it now.

EDIT: nvm : HERE

Last edited by LOL-ness: 03-29-2010 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Better bread is thetter
LOL-ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:42 PM   #8
Skyman747
 
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Reputation: 95
Posts: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by lailai View Post
I typed it out, then I found I made a spelling mistake in title and deleted the thread. **** this, I googled and c/p'd from a site. Mods can check out my deletion log (I assume they have that). That post is c/p'd from this actually
http://www.nextlevelgamer.com/tweaks...-in-windows-xp
surrrrreeeeee, whatever you say.
Skyman747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:52 PM   #9
Artless
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
Does this work for Windows 7 as well? I've heard it used for XP before, but never confirmed with Windows 7.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:54 PM   #10
LOL-ness
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Reputation: 110
Posts: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artless View Post
Does this work for Windows 7 as well? I've heard it used for XP before, but never confirmed with Windows 7.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...90&postcount=2
LOL-ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:04 AM   #11
Zig Zag Zooka
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Reputation: 570
Posts: 4,677
For future reference, you can edit and copy out all the text you've typed. I'm also pretty sure that you can change the title of a thread by editing the original post in Advanced Mode.
Zig Zag Zooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:08 AM   #12
Pendia
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Reputation: 10
Posts: 522
wouldn't this make your mouse like an x-box controler? aka set turn speed, so cant turn aroung in time to shoot the person behind you?
Pendia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:09 AM   #13
Sphenox
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Reputation: 40
Posts: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL-ness View Post
EDIT: nvm : HERE
all in for the nexuiz way of doing it!
probably because it was my thread :3
Sphenox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:10 AM   #14
Not_Matlock
 
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Reputation: 771
Posts: 4,960
Does the registry fix apply to Win Vista and 7, or just XP?

Even minor changes can cause stuff to get pretty screwed up, and I'm hesitant to do anything without assurance that it won't screw up my machine.
Not_Matlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:59 AM   #15
BrancoXIII
 
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Reputation: 0
Posts: 56
Ok, Im playtesting a bit right now and i feel its really helpful for being a sniper but I encounter some problems as a soldier ROCKETJUMPING AINT WHAT IT USED TO BE. And, like someone else said quickly turning around is also a problem right now. what sensitity is best for this setting and if youre playing on a regular piece of paper as a mousepad like I do?
BrancoXIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.