Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Morrowind, The Elder Scrolls III

Old 03-31-2010, 12:43 AM   #1
m.letcher

Noob setting up: Missing manual.pdf ??

I bought this a while ago and let it sit to play with Oblivion, etc. I'm now spending a little time setting it up with MGE, mods, etc. and I noticied that apparently the pdf manual for this game isn't available from Steam or Bethesda, and got pulled from the internet.

What gives? Usually Steam provides the manuals, so maybe I'm just overlooking it. But with a game this complex even walkthru's are hard to find just to get started, so to speak. Particularly since so much depends on initial choices while still learning to walk and open stuff.

I'm really surprised to see all the mods, support, and activity for this game.

Any clues on what the .ini font's 1,2,and 3 control? Apparently, this is the best way to get larger fonts for hi-res displays. I've seen clues but am resorting to experiments to get NPC dialogs bigger (and avoid the bifocals) while not throwing errors with journal entries. I'm surprised by how much the mods dressed this oldster up from my initial impressions with the raw game. Its kind of like STALKER:SOC fixed up for 2009/10. While not Oblivion for graphics and voice acting it is getting more interesting.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:22 AM   #2
MagicPickle

tried to find you the manual with no luck but I found this

http://forums.gamespy.com/morrowind_...80/7664478/p1/

he has a lot of the ini settings on what they do and such and I think he answers your font question.
MagicPickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:50 PM   #3
m.letcher

Thanks for link. I'd seen quite a few of these posts but the 'Background Keyboard' is new and I usually Alt-tab in and out a lot, though haven't tried it yet.

I tried the Oblivion font generator, but haven't had any success yet. The fonts just show up as blocks. Using the 'centurygothicbig' font for font1 and 2 is as good as I've got so far. But the journal complains on long entries and the dialog texts are still too small for me.

A manual or a quick general guide/walkthru/tips is what I'm looking for. While still getting things setup before 'really' starting and playing, I'm discovering things like the quick keys just by accident. I don't have a clue about food but used a mod to ease up on that supposedly. So many options, so little time. The graphics are just about up to Oblivion quality now, but with all the reading this is will tough.
m.letcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:03 PM   #4
m.letcher

I might have found something else on the fonts today, but haven't tried yet.

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.co...s.Detail&id=69 from
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...highlight=font

Font 0 is used for almost all in-game text (descriptions,
talking with people, books, etc).
Font 1 is used for the console only.
Font 2 is used for the daedric text in daedric books.

Hope it works, will advise.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:30 PM   #5
in.meinem.turm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.letcher View Post
The manual is linked on the store-page.

http://store.steampowered.com/manual/22320/
in.meinem.turm. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:35 PM   #6
m.letcher

Sure enough. Many thanks!!

I'm using the Beta interface, and it isn't listed on the Morrowind page, where I usually look for this kind of stuff. Guess I need to spend more time in the store, or is this another diabolical Steam plot to get me into the store yet again?? Probaly not.

The Alt-tab kind of works. It did crash after about a 15 minute hold even with the game paused. But it does go in and out for quick bits.

The Morrowind font generator "MakeMWFont' works a charm, though only upto about 20 pitch really works. The interface is DOS-like so is a bit tricky and presumes you know your fonts.

I'll probably dink around for another day or so with mods and expansions and launch (land??) over the weekend. I've had some trouble getting the expansions installed, but will try again. This appears to be a good game for the patient.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Morrowind, The Elder Scrolls III