Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 03-31-2010, 06:22 PM   #1
Jasa

Steam without internet connection.

Whenever I know I am disconnected from the internet and Start steam in offline mode, it won't start in offline mode. It gives me an error saying it could not connect to internet and go to www.steampowered.com for more info. 1.) What is the point of offline mode if Steam still needs internet? 2.) How am I suppose to go to www.steampowered.com for more info if it knows I am not connected to internet? And 3.) I can't play any games with Steam if Steam isn't on. Can there be a way where Steam games still start without Steam?
Old 03-31-2010, 06:41 PM   #2
MADDOGGE

Do you have a router? If so the general consensus though not proven seems to be that Steam sees the local network and keeps trying to connect even though the modem knows there is no connection. Try disconnecting your connection to the router and see if that will let you get into offline mode.

If no router disconnect your modem and try.

Yes offline is in bad need of some serious work but once you get into offline mode it does work fine. It's just getting there that can be a royal pain in the .
MADDOGGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:18 PM   #3
Jasa

I have Wi-Fi, will just disconnecting from all wireless networks do the trick? I do have a router that is connected the the Wi-Fi thingy that puts out the signal, I think I just disconnect from that. Though, it still sucks how withought Steam all tools and games don't work.
Jasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:39 PM   #4
Jagged Tooth

The best way to do it that while online, click Steam -> Go Offline. Also try disabling your wireless adapter (not just disconnecting).
Jagged Tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:46 PM   #5
Jasa

I don't want to start in offline if it has connection. If I have no internet it won't start in offline.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:31 AM   #6
Pinguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasa View Post
I don't want to start in offline if it has connection. If I have no internet it won't start in offline.
Thats the way it "works"... its obviously broken to me - but its fine for Valve as this is...
...there guide to "offline mode" is below;
- take note that there first step is to start online and there last step is go offline -

Quote:
Using Offline Mode Please follow the instructions below to configure Offline Mode on your machine:
  1. Start Steam online - make sure the Remember my password box on the login window is checked
  2. Verify that all game files are completely updated - you can see the update status for a game under the My Games tab (when the game shows as 100% - Ready it is ready to be played in Offline Mode)
  3. Launch the game you would like to play offline to verify that there are no further updates to download - shut down the game and return to Steam once you have confirmed that the game can be played
  4. Go to Settings to ensure the Do not store account information on this computer option is not selected
  5. From the main Steam window, go to File and select Go Offline
  6. Click OK to restart Steam in Offline Mode
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...3160-AGCB-2555

And there answer to "Must all of my computers have internet access to use Steam?"
Quote:
Question

Must all of my computers have internet access to use Steam?

Answer

Steam requires an internet connection for each computer intended to play Steam games.
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...1695-TIPZ-0436

Last edited by Pinguin: 04-01-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Pinguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:25 PM   #7
Jasa

Thanks, that makes it much clearer
Old 08-22-2011, 06:31 AM   #8
KrAyZ!3

Know the tread is a year old but my net went out for half of the day yesterday
and for the 1st time being a steam user i was angry.
I couldn't play any of my games,what the sense then of offline mode.
i think i might consider buying back disc.
KrAyZ!3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:45 AM   #9
MADDOGGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrAyZ!3 View Post
Know the tread is a year old but my net went out for half of the day yesterday
and for the 1st time being a steam user i was angry.
I couldn't play any of my games,what the sense then of offline mode.
i think i might consider buying back disc.
The 2 main things to remember is that your sign in credentials are saved and that the game is up to date. The router issue doesn't happen to everyone but disconnecting it will fix that if you are one of those.

I have always found the easiest way to do offline is to disconnect the net and restart the rig. When it tries to connect and can't it asks me if I want to run in offline mode. Once I'm in offline mode I reconnect the net when I want and stay in offline until the net comes back up.

Offline works fine/. Unfortunately it's ain't always easy to get to.
MADDOGGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:47 PM   #10
Me2nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOGGE View Post
The 2 main things to remember is that your sign in credentials are saved and that the game is up to date. The router issue doesn't happen to everyone but disconnecting it will fix that if you are one of those.

I have always found the easiest way to do offline is to disconnect the net and restart the rig. When it tries to connect and can't it asks me if I want to run in offline mode. Once I'm in offline mode I reconnect the net when I want and stay in offline until the net comes back up.

It will work for SOME people. I say this because I have tried what you tried and it did not work.
Me2nice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:17 PM   #11
Ex0dus13

Seen this thread thought i'd ask something thats come up. We just recently moved and im without connection for the time being, I didnt setup Steam through the steps listed before we moved, and getting internet is taking longer then expected.
Am i just out of luck now that i have no connection in which to do the 'setup steps'?
Ex0dus13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:33 PM   #12
OldFatGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOGGE View Post

Umm, I've tried this before at start up. My rig isn't always hooked to the internet, and it's only got internet connection when I put the USB Wireless Network Adapter. Most of the time I run the rig WITHOUT it being there. However, even when I start up and there's no connection, the box comes up saying I can choose offline mode, but when I do it comes back with another error box saying that doesn't work either. And my games won't launch.

This is a disheartening thread because I thought the reason I was getting this error was something wrong on my end (I just posted a thread about my system being sent in and getting a reformat and fresh reinstall of Windows).

I specifically ASKED if STEAM games can be played without an internet connection and was told yes. If I'm reading the post above correct, the answer is quite simply NO. You cannot start STEAM games without an internet connection. (I'm talking about STEAM games you've already installed and registered. Obviously new games require an internet connection).

So this is the way it is?? Even to play in offline mode you must start in on-line mode??

Well, I've purchase my 3 STEAM games. There won't be a fourth.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:40 PM   #13
kami790

Are you exiting out of steam before you turn off your computer? Offline mode will not work if I put my computer in any kind of low-power or shutdown state. So for me offline mode will work the next time I turn on my computer if I remember to exit out of steam before shutdown.
kami790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:54 PM   #14
OldFatGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kami790 View Post
Are you exiting out of steam before you turn off your computer? Offline mode will not work if I put my computer in any kind of low-power or shutdown state. So for me offline mode will work the next time I turn on my computer if I remember to exit out of steam before shutdown.
Ohmygosh!!! Thank YOU!!!!

You were right!!! That did it!!!

I restarted the computer with the wireless adapter present so it would go into steam with no problem. Then I EXITED STEAM. Then I restarted it, this time without the wireless adapter so no internet connection. This time the same box came up, but when I hit start in offline mode, this time it didn't give me the beeps and the extra box saying unable to connect.

And this time my GAMES LAUNCHED!!

Oh man, now if I can just remember to exit STEAM everytime.

But thank you thank you thank you thank you. This worked for me, and now I'm not totally against purchasing new STEAM games.

I just want to be able to play my computer games with no internet connection because the fact is at $45 a month, it may be an expense I have to cut as things are getting tight tight tight. There's no way I should not be able to play games I purchased just because I don't want to pay the $45 a month for internet service.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:52 PM   #15
Jasa

This thread is going to be 5 years old by the time people stop bumping it -_-

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips