Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Mount & Blade series

Old 04-01-2010, 12:22 PM   #1
Phasmantis

M&B - My own concerns pre-purchase.

So, I downloaded the free trial thing, and it won't let me play online at all, and that's the thing I am most interest in for this game.

I want to know if the multiplayer is all it's hyped up to be.

When I check the servers, the ping on most of them is around 100-200 (I live in Michigan, so not in the middle of nowhere) so I am curious as to why it's so high--does this effect the gameplay drastically? Or does the high ping not really seem to effect the game play.

Also, is it tons of fun online/balanced? Or is there some cheap exploit that everyone uses, or some lame tactic like for example bunnyhopping (not that it would help them, but just an example of what I mean).

Old 04-01-2010, 12:26 PM   #2
se05239

Well, I can say with ease that I did not buy Warband for the multiplayer. In my honest opinion, its a pure clusterf**k.
se05239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:27 PM   #3
Phasmantis

Well, so was combat back in the day I'm sure. But, as I asked, is the ping a concern or just something to not worry about?
Old 04-01-2010, 12:33 PM   #4
Zithoraxx

Hey,

If you can get a good team, the online is great fun, I play with a few buddies from a Gmod community that I've gotten to know and the online is pretty tactical when playing Siege or another game mode.

The ping on the servers, if you start to go above 150 in Warband it will begin to affect you, I'm from Michigan as well and there are a lot of European servers, but there's quite a few based in the US as well where the ping is anywhere from 40-70 which is perfect.

Pretty much if you want a good online experience I'm sure you could find it, but if you want to make it even better then you could join a clan or get a group of friends together to go mess around on a server and test out different things.
Zithoraxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:34 PM   #5
Mr_Eon

I hear worrying things about some people seemingly fighting in glue, whilst others zip around them matrix style.

To be honest, I didn't buy M&B or M&B Warband for the multiplayer. As an ex-Dev myself I know that developing games for online play is a dark, dark art and sometimes you have to invest a lot of time and effort for minimal returns.

Personally I'd rather have seen the time and effort invested in the Single Player quest system which is rather lacklustre still.
Mr_Eon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:45 PM   #6
Phasmantis

I heard players are exploiting a spearing spin thing... I hate exploits, truly, is this a problem when you play?
Old 04-01-2010, 12:53 PM   #7
checkdestroy

M&B's combat system makes for a pretty fun multiplayer experience, and it's a pretty good breath of fresh air after playing shooters all the time. Sure, it's annoying when you're dueling some kid and you get lanced in the back by some cavalry that comes out of nowhere, but it's still very fun, and actually not badly balanced (due to pretty long beta testing).
checkdestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:58 PM   #8
Zithoraxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phasmantis View Post
I heard players are exploiting a spearing spin thing... I hate exploits, truly, is this a problem when you play?
I don't know what this would be, so I guess it isn't a problem for me. The only problem I really have with the online (It may be changed now) is that the 2 handed swords can be spammed quite quickly, it's a small issue that you can get used to and counter, but it's out there sometimes. I see it less often now than I used to.
Zithoraxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:14 PM   #9
MDrm

I found MP during beta to be a blast, where you actually could coordinate shield walls, attacks, a lot of stuff using text chat and making it work quite well. There are some exploits and bugs but they are minor and soon to be ironed out.

For me, MP is a blast. My only problem is that right now there only seems to be 8 servers available, but since the dedicated server files are public it'll be a matter of time until this game gets really populated in terms of servers, users and clans.
MDrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:55 PM   #10
King Matt

Regarding the pings on the server browser.

When I loaded up the server browser lastnight the lowest ping of any server I could find was well over 100. Upon connecting to the server I found my ping was around 29. So the high pings represented in the server browser may not be representative of what you'll find upon connecting.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:28 PM   #11
nstutt

I personally tried multiplayer quickly and found it to be quite good fun but I just kept getting killed very quickly! Would be nice to get my archer into a fortified location for a change before getting killed. Could do with some better maps with defendable terain that isnt suitable for cavalry. Multiplayer isnt the main part of the game for me though I should say.
nstutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:43 PM   #12
MDrm

MP is truly a game of skill though. I don't advise anyone new to this series, or that hasn't played in a while, to dive into MP right from the start. Familiarize yourselves with the combat in the SP and train your skills in SP and then when you have a decent knowledge of it you'll find that you'll probably be the one doing the killing in MP.

Death by flying axe.
MDrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:14 PM   #13
Phasmantis

So, I dived right into multiplayer after buying this game, because I love the online aspect of games, and I got my kicked pretty quickly. However, I did have a LOT of fun once I started to get a hang of it. Duel servers helped a lot, and so did the training. This game is very addicting, and it's all skill! (Which I love)
Old 04-05-2010, 08:36 PM   #14
Da-V-Man

I love the multiplayer. I've been beta-testing since version 0.61 (around mid October I believe). It's fun! One thing you'll find out is that many servers like to force manual block direction, which makes using a weapon without a shield more challenging. Sometimes I go on and spend the whole night playing. I haven't down that with an mp game since TF2.

As for ping, I usually get 50-70 on the US servers, 100-175 on the European servers. I would say it's playable unless you're a ranged character, but that may be because I'm no good ranged. The biggest difference I would think that you'd notice would be the latency difference from singleplayer (instant) to not instant, but you get that with any online game.

Last edited by Da-V-Man: 04-05-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Da-V-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:34 AM   #15
Witzzard

So while i was critical when first reading about the Multiplayer it's real fun.
In nearly no other MP game i saw that much teamplay on a public server.
As all games it can get a bit frustrating at times, but that's just normal.

The high ping is typical problem when you first enter the 'lobby', you will at first see quite a high ping while in reality your ping is lower. So refresh 1-2 times and you will see your 'real' ping to the servers.
Witzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Mount & Blade series