Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 04-02-2010, 02:06 AM   #1
Pseudolo

Changing computer

If I uninstall steam and all my games from this computer, and use this computer no more with my steam account, can I install my steam games on a new computer? Will I be able to re-use the cd keys without further screwing, or should I follow a complicated procedure to make my games available on the new computer? Will achievements be deleted with my savegames?

Thanks!
Old 04-02-2010, 02:16 AM   #2
PuddingWagon

You can use your Steam account on as many computers as you like, provided you are only logged in at one computer at a time. This means you don't need to uninstall games to use them elsewhere*. Just redownload or copy the game files to the new computer and start playing. This in now way means account sharing is permitted but if it's just you using it, then no worries.

*NOTE: Some games have a limited activation DRM which is independent of Steam. For these games you'll have to keep track of how many times you install them and/or properly uninstall them (if this recovers an install).

For achievements it depends how the game stores them. Most (all?) games store them online so they're specific to your account (either Steam or in-game account). This means they'll transfer between computers. You can copy save games across too, just put them in the same place on the new computer.
PuddingWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:34 AM   #3
Pseudolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddingWagon View Post
For achievements it depends how the game stores them. Most (all?) games store them online so they're specific to your account (either Steam or in-game account). This means they'll transfer between computers. You can copy save games across too, just put them in the same place on the new computer.
Since I meant STEAM achievements, I think I'll do just fine! Thanks a lot!
Pseudolo is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips