Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Aion

Old 04-02-2010, 09:48 PM   #1
johnny3144

Is Aion any good?

i am considering Aion. few of the other threads quickly became a wow vs aion fan bashing thread.

i have few questions regarding Aion, please be unbiased and be fair.

- is the community still alive?
- does the world feel alive? i know it's a vague question, but warhammer's later game PvE world feel dead... rarely see any players, leave alone any kind of interaction.
- does it require lots of dedication? i don't have too much time to play(roughly 2-3 hour a day)
- is the combat fun? many complain it's a grind fest, but as long as combat is fun, i couldn't careless
- is there lots of different weapon/armor?
- is there a arena?
- how is the pvp? i liked warhammer's mass pvp, but i like small group pvp too(feel more significant).
- is leveling up rewarding? i tried allod, got to level 7 yet still only have 2 offensive skills... not fun. leveling up in wow on the other hand was somewhat rewarding.
- any opinion about the game, please justify your reason. don't just say "it sucks, to much grind"

if possible, could someone send me a friend invite(i hope it's not against the forum rule. if it is, just tell me and i will delete this part)

please don't turn this into a wow fan vs aion fan bashing thread. i played wow, and it was fun, but i want something new.

P.S. if anybody have any other MMO suggestions, feel free to make a note.

Last edited by johnny3144: 04-06-2010 at 08:53 AM.

Old 04-04-2010, 03:10 AM   #2
Milkycookie

Aion is a grindfest, plain and simple. Past 25 you're desperately whacking a mole to level up. Content xp vs region xp is not balanced.

If you enjoy grinding for 20,000 pieces of scrap leather to make a cap, this game is for you.

PvP is a mix of Arena and in world gank fests. Roving bands of Players will gank you on site, especially in the abyss. Player classes are very imbalanced. Check out youtube for the OP cleric class.

Leveling is definitely not rewarding. That statifying ding, is actually replaced with OMG i gotta level kill 40,000 rabbits for the next level.

Items are a mix of ingame currency and abyss points. Be prepared for months of grinding for you complete set.

Don't know whats this Hammer Legion thing.

I've played quite a few MMOs, WoW is still the best in terms of time spent/available vs rewards vs challenge.

I suggest you not only read all the bashing here in the forums (because there are nuggets of truth in the bashing) but head onto youtube for in game footage.

Seriously though, if you like to grind, this game is for you. If you don't like to grind, look else where. (i'm not joking about that 40,000 rabbit thing btw)
Milkycookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:13 PM   #3
Foojo

After playing Aion at release, I went back to Warhammer which I had not played since release. Everything is either a money sink or treadmill in Aion. If you like alts, every alt will face the exact same content. I thought questing was particularly worthless in Aion. Because the time that it took me to travel for the quest, I could have easily exceeded the xp from quest by grinding mobs. I still did almost all the quests I came across.

By the end of my play time, it became old grinding for xp, and groups were few and far between unless you were in a level sweet range. For instance, I finished up the zone after the newbie one at 20ish level, so I had to solo to 25 because there were no groups forming for level sub 25. At level 25, some new group oriented content opened up.

Aion might have the single most annoying thing of any MMO. Aether gathering. Gathering in Aion consists of going up to a node, and using the node to gather. Every node had like 2 or 3 uses, and each use took some time which increases I think with difficulty. Every node has min skill level for usage. Also, you can fail and get nothing. Usually you only get at most one skill increase per node, not use, many times no skill increases. There is a new tier at 100, 200,...

Now these aether nodes are suspended in the air, so you must fly up to each node. Your flight time is limited to 60 secs (?). By the time you fly to the node, use it, and gather, you are lucky to use the whole node up. Then it's fly back down hopefully alive, then wait for your flight time to slowly refresh. This is the kind of moronic grind you will face in Aion.

Last edited by Foojo: 04-04-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Foojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:16 PM   #4
Ranmaru

I don't think this game is for you, you don't have much time, it does require dedication if you want to achieve stuff and whatnot.

Combat is more interactive than WoW's so it's more entertaining.

There is an EMPTY arena.

Leveling is not the: Oh noes! This task is impossible! People state, it's simply not a walk in the park like WoW (Try RO, now that's a grind, BORING grind, and it's still alive...).

PVP is fun, but imbalanced depending on your situation (IE as an Assassin you will suck in Abyss, but you will rule in Dredgions).

Also there seems to be a security breach somewhere, and people are getting their accounts stolen (my guild stopped playing bc an officer got his acc stolen, they banned him and made a pretty bad job regarding the matter).
Ranmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:46 AM   #5
johnny3144

well, i already went ahead and bought it >_<
so far(level 14), i like the game more than WoW or warhammer. the combat is fun and crafting is interesting.
so basically it's a grind fest after level 30 right? i am not gonna go hardcore, so i will prob take it slow and enjoy it. is there lots of other thing to do other than combat/level wise? i enjoy little random activities.

and WoW is not any less grindy than any other MMO. sure you get to level 70, but that's when the game grind actually starts. first you hit some 5 man, so replace those green gear. then raid some 10 man, get little bit of purple... then raid 25 man, get all purple... then you go to arena and get PvP gear.... but that's just my opinion

P.S. not sure where the hell that hammer legion member thing came from... cause i didn't type that... i changed it to "fan" o.O

Last edited by johnny3144: 04-06-2010 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:08 AM   #6
b18c4

- is the community still alive? yes the community is still alive, but not the the steam forum, try aionsource.com
- does the world feel alive? i know it's a vague question, but warhammer's later game PvE world feel dead... rarely see any players, leave alone any kind of interaction. it depends on the time and area you go, for example besluslan is infested with elyos nearly everyday, the abyss, the designated pvp ground is mostly dead on the lower half.
- does it require lots of dedication? i don't have too much time to play(roughly 2-3 hour a day) every MMO need some sort of dedication, aion is no exception. Just take it slowly and wait for double exp weekend if you want to lax your level fast.
- is the combat fun? many complain it's a grind fest, but as long as combat is fun, i couldn't careless grinding is almost in every MMORPG, you kill mobs, you do quests you level. The grind might be worse than WoW but IMO its not really that bad
- is there lots of different weapon/armor? yes
- is there a arena? kinda.
- how is the pvp? i liked warhammer's mass pvp, but i like small group pvp too(feel more significant). pvp is fun unless you run into a full party of enemies x)
- is leveling up rewarding? i tried allod, got to level 7 yet still only have 2 offensive skills... not fun. leveling up in wow on the other hand was somewhat rewarding. you get to wear new armors, you learn new skills every 3 levels, post lv40 you;ll learn new skills every level until 50.
- any opinion about the game, please justify your reason. don't just say "it sucks, to much grind" end game has relatively little content to explore but future major patches should fix this. Aion is fun, worthy a try
b18c4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:08 AM   #7
b18c4

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny3144 View Post
well, i already went ahead and bought it >_<
so far(level 14), i like the game more than WoW or warhammer. the combat is fun and crafting is interesting.
so basically it's a grind fest after level 30 right? i am not gonna go hardcore, so i will prob take it slow and enjoy it. is there lots of other thing to do other than combat/level wise? i enjoy little random activities.

and WoW is not any less grindy than any other MMO. sure you get to level 70, but that's when the game grind actually starts. first you hit some 5 man, so replace those green gear. then raid some 10 man, get little bit of purple... then raid 25 man, get all purple... then you go to arena and get PvP gear.... but that's just my opinion

P.S. not sure where the hell that hammer legion member thing came from... cause i didn't type that... i changed it to "fan" o.O
which server you play it?
b18c4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:41 AM   #8
King Midol

Banned
Aion is a good game, yes. It's definitely the best MMORPG out, imo, even over easy mode WoW. Also, the 1.9 patch is coming to NA Aion soon.
King Midol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:55 AM   #9
SergioM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Midol View Post
Aion is a good game, yes. It's definitely the best MMORPG out, imo, even over easy mode WoW. Also, the 1.9 patch is coming to NA Aion soon.
Aion is love/hate game, and i do both of those when comes to Aion
....get enough of it....cancel subscription......miss the game....renew subscription.
i´m looking forward to 1.9 patch i will probably get back to Aion again
SergioM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:17 PM   #10
johnny3144

Quote:
Originally Posted by b18c4 View Post
which server you play it?
Zikel i think
Elyos side
Old 04-19-2010, 01:31 PM   #11
ASnogarD

How is NCsoft West dealing with the spammers that were a downright plauge in the launch month... drove me away screaming, the whispers (if you forgot to set yourself invisible to the find lists), the general and trade channel spam where you need to play whack-a-mole to block the spammers...for a hour or so...then boom all new alts spammage.
The bots that used to kill mobs 24/7, and as a mob credit belongs to who does the most damage it bloody hard beating a bot 4-6 levels above your level in a damage contest.
NC at the time was rubbish at blocking the spam and botters, but moved like lightning to lock all threads posted in the forums about it... annoyed the crap out of me.

So... hows the spam, and is there many players left ?
( I used to roll on Spatalos EU server )
ASnogarD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:01 AM   #12
johnny3144

there is almost no spammers or bots on the NA server anymore. and there are still player
Old 05-04-2010, 10:35 AM   #13
GreatWorkDude

Banned
When is 1.9 planning on being released in NA?
GreatWorkDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:47 AM   #14
AzureEmmanuel

Banned
You can tell people have no idea of what an mmo is when they claim Aion to be "grindfest".

Its stupid easy to level up if you do the heck of a bunch of quest they throw at you, you get +exp items almost every month (veterancy status thingy for new players).

Getting exp in some dungeons is easy as heck as long as you get a good team.

Basically doing all the quests for your current lvl will put you at 60+% of your needed exp, meaning you only have to grind that extra 40% you are missing.

I swear people dont know what "dedication and grinding" is till they decide to take Final Fantasy XI seriously.

TL.DR: Aion is a fun game, with lots of people. Easy to level and not a grindfest.
AzureEmmanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:29 PM   #15
Foojo

It might be "stupid easy to level up", but is it interesting and engaging. By your own stats, you say you only have to grind 40% of the level. Only 40% hehe. While some games have worse grinds, it still doesn't make it interesting or acceptable for many people.
Foojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Aion