Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Defense Grid: The Awakening

Old 04-03-2010, 10:18 AM   #1
stonebro

Viable green tower only strategies

I'm currently plowing through the challenges to get master strategist before the new levels are released. I can beat most story and resource challenges within the first 3-4 tries, but I'm having big issues with the green tower only challenges.

Case in point; Fire Control.

My first strategy was to use almost all cannon towers, plus 3-4 meteors for splash damage. This went surprisingly well, but the swarmers in the final wave would always die in spots where the crashers could pick up cores early, hence ruining everything.

I then swapped a few cannons with temporals in key spots. Even with variations in placement one crasher would always make it out.

Then I swapped some cannons with infernos to help with the swarmers. This took care of them, but yielded too little firepower for the three crashers and one always made it out.

I tweaked some more and was finally able to beat the level, but not to a gold medal since I used up all possible build spots (and then only just made it).

Having similar issues on later green tower only challenges. Building mazes with mostly guns, strategic temporals and a few good cannons seems to work the best, but I always lose a core or two either to a crasher or a pack of rhinos, which are common in these levels.

No youtube links please.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:41 PM   #2
afronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonebro View Post
Case in point; Fire Control.
Hey Stonebro,

I'm doing the same, working to getting Master Stategist; the green tower challenges are by far the hardest levels. Fire Control took me ages but I managed to crack it on gold with an even mix of cannons and meteors. I remember the central 2x2 columns were all cannons and the 4x1 just before the bend was 3 meteors and 1 temporal. The 2 2x2 columns at the very start were meteors and 1 temporal.

The key thing for me was that the final wave of fliers came in and stole cores (the swarmers weren't an issue; with enough meteors they were cleaned up before turning around). My cannons couldn't cope with them all so I wanted to build more cannons on the columns at the beginning of the track (where the fliers first enter) but that meant the crashers get away.

Anyway, the thing that succeeded for me was to build gun towers on those first 2x2 grids to soften up the last wave of fliers before they turned back to face the cannons in the middle; as soon as the fliers moved out of range of the guns I sold them and replaced them with meteors, ready to face the crashers on their way back. Timing in the early stages to maximise interest and then swapping out towers to face the mixed last wave seem to be the key here.

Last edited by afronaut: 04-03-2010 at 12:43 PM.
afronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:35 AM   #3
cdeathkd

Green tower challenges for me its all about the longest possible route, and usuallygun towers for the most part as anything else is rather expensive!
cdeathkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:43 PM   #4
stonebro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeathkd View Post
Green tower challenges for me its all about the longest possible route, and usuallygun towers for the most part as anything else is rather expensive!
But it doesn't work.
stonebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:30 PM   #5
Howard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonebro View Post
But it doesn't work.
Yes they do. Without question.

And why "no youtube links"? How else do you expect to share strategies?
Old 04-08-2010, 05:09 PM   #6
afronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard View Post
Yes they do. Without question.
Sorry Howard, I don't see how that can be. Guns are good for shaping paths quickly but they just don't seem to be able to handle later waves, especially swarms. Besides, this approach is severely limited in maps where the path is set, like Stonebro's example of Fire Control. On that map, most of the positions are out of gun range from the track. If you have got an all-gun strategy for a gold medal on Fire Control Green Towers Only I'll be very impressed.

Personally, I think meteors are the best in GTO challenges; their huge range means they continue to deal damage for a longer time, they are good against groups and can deal huge damage en masse.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:22 AM   #7
godprobe

I went through the additional challenge modes (the ones added with Borderlands) backwards and, for me, the green tower levels at the beginning of the story were much harder than the ones later on.

"Out of Fuel" was the most difficult for me. Used lasers, guns, infernos, meteors, and temporals to survive it and barely squeak by with the score requirement.

I think "Fire Control" was available as GTO before Borderlands so I did it a long time ago. IIRC, I mostly used cannons on that one, and an inferno and temporal sound very familiar to beating it properly.
godprobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:49 AM   #8
Howard

Quote:
Originally Posted by afronaut View Post
Sorry Howard, I don't see how that can be. Guns are good for shaping paths quickly but they just don't seem to be able to handle later waves, especially swarms. Besides, this approach is severely limited in maps where the path is set, like Stonebro's example of Fire Control. On that map, most of the positions are out of gun range from the track. If you have got an all-gun strategy for a gold medal on Fire Control Green Towers Only I'll be very impressed.

Personally, I think meteors are the best in GTO challenges; their huge range means they continue to deal damage for a longer time, they are good against groups and can deal huge damage en masse.
No one said "gun only green tower" strategies. The term was mostly. Gun towers are the staple of every level and every game-type with the possible exception of Grinders as AOE towers here supersede them.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:50 AM   #9
stonebro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard View Post
No one said "gun only green tower" strategies. The term was mostly. Gun towers are the staple of every level and every game-type with the possible exception of Grinders as AOE towers here supersede them.
Please show me how to beat Fire Control to a gold medal using mostly gun towers.

Or Barrier to Entry. Using a majority of gun towers to beat that is absolutely impossible. You have to rely very heavily on meteors, to the point that they outnumber gun towers.

Last edited by stonebro: 04-09-2010 at 11:41 AM.
stonebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:31 PM   #10
Kailieann

Meteors.. aren't very good, dude. They should never outnumber Guns in any strategy.
Kailieann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:35 PM   #11
afronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kailieann View Post
Meteors.. aren't very good, dude. They should never outnumber Guns in any strategy.
I don't agree... I've found that a few meteors make ALL the difference to a green-only map. Also, going back to Stonebro's original point; Fire Control = guns not an option on the green tower only challenge (which is ultimately the theme of the thread).
Old 04-09-2010, 06:45 PM   #12
Shillen

Make sure you're using all the tower spots. There's a group of 4 on the left that are kind of shadowed. I spent like an hour trying to do this medal before realizing they were there. Now I have no idea how I missed them. It was easy with 4 more towers...
Shillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:51 PM   #13
Pastry

Edit: Nevermind! Got it finally.

Last edited by Pastry: 04-13-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Pastry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:46 AM   #14
333OnlyHalfEvil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shillen View Post
Make sure you're using all the tower spots. There's a group of 4 on the left that are kind of shadowed. I spent like an hour trying to do this medal before realizing they were there. Now I have no idea how I missed them. It was easy with 4 more towers...
What's your strategy?
Old 12-07-2010, 11:14 PM   #15
serieus1

I'm finding that Fire Control Green Tower only mission is based more on luck than it is skill. I've been able to beat with all cores, albeit not enough points for a gold, but I can't reproduce it each and every time, even if I reload the same last wave again and again the results vary.

Is there something that I'm missing in order to get gold on this mission?

My last gold needed for Awakening.
serieus1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Defense Grid: The Awakening