Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Old 04-05-2010, 08:15 PM   #1
Raedok

Steam auto-update issues.

Lately some friends and I have noticed Steam downloading what seems to be the same ~20 MB update being downloaded by Steam generally once a week or more. They may be unique updates but the release notes haven't changed since early March, AFAIK. At any rate, it seems to just decide to download these client updates whenever it feels like it, which for some reason frequently seems to be when I'm ingame. It causes my ping to skyrocket and renders the games unplayable, and in the case of games like TF2, I may be a major contributing factor to my team losing due to these enormous random lagspikes.

I know there's a way to stop GAMES from automatically downloading updates, but is there a way to disable these inane automatic client updates that get me killed entirely too often?
Old 04-05-2010, 08:21 PM   #2
luciferosX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raedok View Post
Lately some friends and I have noticed Steam downloading what seems to be the same ~20 MB update being downloaded by Steam generally once a week or more. They may be unique updates but the release notes haven't changed since early March, AFAIK. At any rate, it seems to just decide to download these client updates whenever it feels like it, which for some reason frequently seems to be when I'm ingame. It causes my ping to skyrocket and renders the games unplayable, and in the case of games like TF2, I may be a major contributing factor to my team losing due to these enormous random lagspikes.

I know there's a way to stop GAMES from automatically downloading updates, but is there a way to disable these inane automatic client updates that get me killed entirely too often?
I've had this issue for a while. The same patch, with the same patch notes: "really fixed whatever this time." It's pretty annoying and haven't figured out how to stop it.
luciferosX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:03 AM   #3
Grunt7684

I'm having the same problem.
Grunt7684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:19 AM   #4
Joe Molotov

Are you using the Beta client? If so, there's your problem.
Joe Molotov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:35 AM   #5
natemckn

Steam beta changelog
natemckn is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion