Old 04-08-2010, 06:11 AM   #1
apefist

Need help! Computer is restarting randomly during LaG

System Specs:
2.4GHz Quad Core AMD CPU
4 GB RAM (DDR2 800MHz)
ATI 4850 HD Radeon

My computer keeps randomly shutting down. Some backstory:

I got Lead and Gold beta recently. Ever since I started playing it, my computer has been shutting itself down randomly. The first night I got the game, I played it for several hours (around 4) perfectly. Ever since then, it has been consistently shutting down my comp.

These are the same kinds of shutdowns I got when my CPU overheated and when my PSU fried (I upgraded my PSU from a no-name 500w to an Antec 550w and reapplied the thermal grease on my CPU a month ago). In this case I can play the game anywhere from 2 hours to 30 minutes before the computer randomly shuts down (i.e. it has shut down after 30 minutes of play and it has shutdown after around 2 hours of play). The graphics (which are at maximum for my system, 1680x1050 res, x8 AF, etc.) pause for about 3 seconds, continue as if nothing had happened (nothing changes after the freeze, no artifacting, everythings looks perfect) and then the entire computer shuts down without a warning message popping up. First the monitors go off (I have two monitors, if that matters), and the computer stays on for approx. 30 seconds afterwards (judging by my CPU fan. I have a CPU fan with a giant green light that doesn't go off for a while after the shut down). I have been running Rivatuner and apparently the games uses 95-99% of my GPU, constantly.

So the weird part is it seems to only be this game. Since the recent crashes with Lead and Gold, I have since played Modern Warfare 2 (on max settings) for around six hours without a crash (this game uses approx 95-98% of my GPU) and other games (BFBC2, Left 4 Dead 2, Serious Sam HD) I have run for around 3 hours each, don't cause my computer to crash.

Due to the games running for a long time, I don't think it is a CPU overheating issue, due to the fact that nothing changes in my graphics before the shutdown I don't think it is a graphics card issue, and I don't think it is a PSU issue because my computer stays on for at least 30 seconds after the game shuts down (not to mention I just upgraded my PSU two months ago) so what could it be? I am open to any suggestions at this point so let me hear you craziest theories and resolutions. I really hope it isn't the game itself, because I enjoy playing it a lot
Old 04-08-2010, 11:44 AM   #2
stinkytaco

Banned
It is probably restarting when your GPU fan turn on, 500 watts is a really small PSU for your quad core setup. A 1 gigawatt PSU is probably more in lines of what you need, especially if you have a crossfire or multi GPU setup.

With your ATI control panel try turning on the system, CPU and GPU fan('s) to 100% and let it run for about 25 minutes. If it restarts, or gives you a BSOD, then you probably need a larger PSU. (don't run ANYTHING during the test period, including screensavers)

What is probably happening is that the game is heating up the GPU or CPU and the fan comes out of low power mode, and depletes the PSU power, causing a crash.

One other thing, If that is the same GPU or CPU that was overheating in the past, you may have damaged it. Here is some folding software with a stresstest, that may help you isolate where your system is weak.:
http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Download#ntoc6
There are a few other folding applications out there that have a stress test utility as well. (google folding stress test)

You might want to run memtest+86 too to make sure you have reliable ram (let it run overnight).

The final thing is Rivia tuner is NOT an ATI product, it is put together by a bunch of hacking twats who want to squeeze out a few FPS from their GPU by overclocking it. Trust me; ATI knows what they are doing, If they have something turned off, there is usually a pretty good reason for it.

When I was still turning screws at the local computer shop, we had a kid come in at least once a month from frying their systems with Rivia tuner, and the Nvidia overclocking add-on. Risking you hardware to squeeze out a little bit of performance is really not worth it. Even if you do gain a few FPS it is usually not enough for the human eye to even register.

Well, anyway, please keep us informed.

Last edited by stinkytaco: 04-08-2010 at 12:01 PM.
stinkytaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:22 PM   #3
stinkytaco

Banned
Quote:
Wow.. do you have any idea what you just said? 1 Gigawatt?? I think what you mean is 1000W, which is EXTREMELY overkill. OP does not need to upgrade his PSU. Antec 550W is fine for that setup.
Dude, go look at the spec's for his motherboard before you post that I am wrong. He has not specified the mother board, so you really have no idea what he does, or does not need.

With the exception of the FurMark and malware nonsense you posted, you basically said the exact same thing I did. Prime95 does not support multicore or SMP systems. That is why I posted the other folding application. Running multiple instances of Prime95 does not help ANYTHING unless you manually set the affinity for each instance.
(yes, go and google affinity, you will learn something new today. Tomorrow you can use your google goggles to troll with.)

Running 4 instances will stack them where ever the OS wants them to be, if he has enough RAM it might just decide to stack them all on 1 core. (unlikely, but possible)

Well, anyway Prime95 is outdated, do not use it. There are other newer folding applications that have utility's for multi core , smp, GPU, and multi GPU setups, some even let you stress test the RAM.

Futuremark is just for Journalists so they can give bull-crap reviews on games, and have some numbers to back up their claims. It is also focused on all the kiddies out there that found out that you can overclock your system to make it go faster!

Go to any computer shop that is worth their salt, and ask them to do a futuremark benchmark to prove weather the hardware is working correctly or not. They will either just laugh at you, or they will just take your money, do the test, and laugh about what a complete idiot they just scammed.

Last edited by stinkytaco: 04-08-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:14 PM   #4
PostMan108

I was getting the same problem with a very similiar setup, although I have a 4890. Updated the drivers and everything is fine now.
PostMan108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:58 PM   #5
stinkytaco

Banned
Quote:
BTW, the affinity settings are explained in the instructions for Prime95. Didn't think I'd bother typing it out as the information is freely available and the OP should probably do the leg work himself.
Oh, Ok, so that makes prime95 not outdated, because you can force the OS into running it on different cores. Your google powers amaze even me. -=FACEPALM=-

Quote:
I don't know what you're going on about. Unless you think FurMark is the same thing as FutureMark.
Furmark? Yes I mistyped it, too much coffee, and late for a hot date.
FYI
THIS GAME USES DIRECTX NOT OPENGL, What the hell kind of person would use an openGL stress test for testing a possible DirectX error, anyway? Google has failed you once again! That is what I am going on about.

Driver, and game re-install is a no brainer, but I guess I should have mentioned it. Thanks postman

The Gigawatt joke is an old one to get people to go "Duuh What?", and go and look at the motherboard specs to double check on their proper wattage. It is not uncommon for multi GPU and SLI systems to have 1,000 watts and above.

Cherry-picking a googled motherboard to back your claim is a double -=Facepalm=-. This only proves you are a troll who sees the world through google goggles. This does absolutely nothing to help fix the problem.

BTW, could you please correct my spelling while you are at it, that should give you a bit more merit.(If you cant spell it, just Google it )
Old 04-08-2010, 11:13 PM   #6
apefist

uh... anyways

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkytaco View Post
It is probably restarting when your GPU fan turn on

With your ATI control panel try turning on the system, CPU and GPU fan('s) to 100% and let it run for about 25 minutes. If it restarts, or gives you a BSOD, then you probably need a larger PSU. (don't run ANYTHING during the test period, including screensavers)

The final thing is Rivia tuner is NOT an ATI product, it is put together by a bunch of hacking twats who want to squeeze out a few FPS from their GPU by overclocking it. Trust me; ATI knows what they are doing, If they have something turned off, there is usually a pretty good reason for it.
I believe that the fan on the video card is always on, it is definitely always moving.

Also, as stated in the original post, I can run other games (most notably MW2 which causes the card to run at 99%) for hours without issue.

However, I did just get the newest drivers and install them so we shall see if that was indeed the problem. I'm hoping that was it. I'll try it out and post back soon

EDIT: Oh and as for Rivatuner I am not using it for overclocking. Probably should have put that in the OP. I am using it solely for it's temp monitoring capabilities. However I think something might be wrong with rivatuner displaying the wrong units (Celsius instead of Fahrenheit) It says my computer idles at 84 degrees CELSIUS and that number goes as high as 111 during heavy gaming. That just seems way too hot to me. Also the units fluctuate a lot (it can go +/- 20 degrees within a minute) which seems to indicate to me that it would be the smaller units (i.e. fahrenheit). Can anyone else confirm that Rivatuner messes this up and my comp is probably running at 84 degrees Fahrenheit during idle?

Last edited by apefist: 04-08-2010 at 11:17 PM.
apefist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:06 AM   #7
stinkytaco

Banned
Quote:
If you really think he needs something around 1000W like in your post above, then you are absolutely delusional.
Says the guy who says motherboard manuals say nothing about required voltage, and who tests possible direct X bugs with OpenGL. (and malware / spyware removal software to fix possible overheating problems? common at least try to stay on topic when you troll.)

If you got a personal problem, bring it up with me Via PM, This guy needs some help, not some flamer trying to burn everyone down with their Google godliness, and spell checking pecking. (I bet he already is replying to this message when he finally scrolls down this far down in the editors quote text.PM me dude!)

Quote:
Oh and as for Rivatuner I am not using it for overclocking. Probably should have put that in the OP. I am using it solely for it's temp monitoring capabilities. However I think something might be wrong with rivatuner displaying the wrong units (Celsius instead of Fahrenheit) It says my computer idles at 84 degrees CELSIUS and that number goes as high as 111 during heavy gaming. That just seems way too hot to me. Also the units fluctuate a lot (it can go +/- 20 degrees within a minute) which seems to indicate to me that it would be the smaller units (i.e. fahrenheit). Can anyone else confirm that Rivatuner messes this up and my comp is probably running at 84 degrees Fahrenheit during idle?
Well, if after re-installing the game, Direct X and your drivers does not help you, you might want to try uninstalling rivia tuner, and see if that helps (you can always re-install it if it is not the culprit).

The way you describe the re-booting only when you are playing this game does not really say "Hardware failure" to me. It probably has to do with a bug in the game, or a conflict with some other application that may be running in the background. Press windows key+R to open run dialog, and type in:
msconfig
into the run dialog. From there you can see all the services and programs windows loads on boot up / start up. Make sure you know what programs you are disabling! You can end up with an unbootable system, so please be careful. A quick look here can also tell you about poorly made spyware, and malware that may be loading and directly targeting Lead and gold. (LOL! sorry I could not resist.)

Hope that helps

Last edited by stinkytaco: 04-09-2010 at 02:15 AM.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Lead and Gold