Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Grand Theft Auto series

Old 04-14-2010, 12:41 AM   #1
bloodypalace

Exclamation 32gb worth of GTA

I was going to buy EFLC till i found out they are TWO completely separate games even though 90% of the date is the same. Even if you have gta4 installed you still have to install another 16gb. Couldn't you guys make that they share the base files so only you have to only download the new stuff? This is just a waist of bandwidth and hdd space to me...
Old 04-14-2010, 01:10 AM   #2
oreoleo

You can buy the episodes through the GFWL marketplace in-game, that way they will be tied to your main GTA4 game, and only take up an additional 6GB or so of space.
oreoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:13 AM   #3
StingingVelvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreoleo View Post
You can buy the episodes through the GFWL marketplace in-game, that way they will be tied to your main GTA4 game, and only take up an additional 6GB or so of space.
You miss out on some content doing this though, for the record.

Why have both installed at once? Uninstall the original game, you'll be busy with the episodes for a long while anyway.
StingingVelvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:20 AM   #4
oreoleo

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
You miss out on some content doing this though, for the record.

Why have both installed at once? Uninstall the original game, you'll be busy with the episodes for a long while anyway.
That was true for the 360 version, is it the case here? I'm inclined to think it's not, and even if it is it's only a few radio stations. Similarly I'm under the impression that if you buy EFLC separately through Steam you do not get the original GTA4 radio stations in-game. Again I'm drawing on the 360 version as evidence here but it may be different for PC. In any case I'm not sure either implementation is completely ideal.

As to why have it all installed at once? Because HDD space is cheap and there's no reason not to.
oreoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:02 AM   #5
StingingVelvet

The GFWL download might be different from the Xbox download, who knows.

The Steam download is the same as retail.
StingingVelvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:03 AM   #6
Jonnycox001

I have an off-beat question (somewhat in regards to the hard drive space issue)...

Are theses add-on episodes anymore optimized for PC than the GTA4 PC-port was? I ask only because, I bought GTA4 and was shocked to find it so very unbalanced (graphics-wise) on PC. Granted with the right setup, I'm sure it'd probably looks amazing, but I have...

...(modified HP Pavilion 061)...
Intel Core2Duo 1.86Ghz
2gigs ram
Radeon HD 4600 (1gig vid memory)
Windows Vista Home Premium (SP2)
large enough hard drive
Up-To-Date video drivers...

Sorry for posting in an out-of-category area, but I'm always a bit off-target. Any insight/advice would be GREAT!!!

Thanks guys!
Jonnycox001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:05 AM   #7
Freyar

Quote:
Similarly I'm under the impression that if you buy EFLC separately through Steam you do not get the original GTA4 radio stations in-game. Again I'm drawing on the 360 version as evidence here but it may be different for PC. In any case I'm not sure either implementation is completely ideal.
If you buy EfLC through Steam, you get all the radio stations, plus two new ones. If you buy through GFWL, you don't get the two new ones. (as far as I am aware)
Freyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:33 AM   #8
Bluesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnycox001 View Post
I have an off-beat question (somewhat in regards to the hard drive space issue)...

Are theses add-on episodes anymore optimized for PC than the GTA4 PC-port was? I ask only because, I bought GTA4 and was shocked to find it so very unbalanced (graphics-wise) on PC. Granted with the right setup, I'm sure it'd probably looks amazing, but I have...

...(modified HP Pavilion 061)...
Intel Core2Duo 1.86Ghz
2gigs ram
Radeon HD 4600 (1gig vid memory)
Windows Vista Home Premium (SP2)
large enough hard drive
Up-To-Date video drivers...

Sorry for posting in an out-of-category area, but I'm always a bit off-target. Any insight/advice would be GREAT!!!

Thanks guys!
The episodes run the same as GTA IV with the 1.0.6 patch that came out yesterday. That patch changed a lot for a lot of people so if you have GTA IV already, give it a shot.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:52 AM   #9
chickengod799

only 32GB for both episodes and gta iv?! wow thats not much my steam folder is 133GB and another of my folders is 65GB and my last big folder is: 288GB
chickengod799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:20 AM   #10
Anudu

Can anyone who's downloaded both games through Steam name some big big files I could just copy over, rather than downloading them again?

Maybe you could do a diff of both directories and look into the md5sums? I know, that's quite a task, but every megabyte I already have is a waste of time and bandwith, so I'm wondering if I could reduce this amount, since I already have GTA IV installed.
Anudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:27 AM   #11
RedDragon513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anudu View Post
Can anyone who's downloaded both games through Steam name some big big files I could just copy over, rather than downloading them again?
This should work:

-> Install Episodes from Liberty City in the Steam client.
-> wait ~ 2 minutes so that all folders are created and pause the download
-> copy all the files from GTA IV to EFLC
-> Verify game files

Then Steam should only download the new files (and the files that have been changed in EFLC)
RedDragon513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:03 AM   #12
Anudu

That's indeed a nice idea. I guess I'll try that one.
Anudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:14 AM   #13
AeonGrey

If you've already beaten regular GTAIV, there's no reason to keep it uninstalled. I'm going to uninstall mine as soon as these new ones are downloaded. I have no reason to keep it, other than the fact that...well, honestly 32GB isn't that much space when you're talking about a 500GB hard drive.
AeonGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:13 PM   #14
bloodypalace

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeonGrey View Post
If you've already beaten regular GTAIV, there's no reason to keep it uninstalled. I'm going to uninstall mine as soon as these new ones are downloaded. I have no reason to keep it, other than the fact that...well, honestly 32GB isn't that much space when you're talking about a 500GB hard drive.
Well, that's not the point. Also, what about multiplayer modes? Can people with gta4 play with people who have EFLC?
bloodypalace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:35 PM   #15
Deadly_Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodypalace View Post
Can people with gta4 play with people who have EFLC?
Nope.
Deadly_Target is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Grand Theft Auto series