Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Grand Theft Auto series

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2010, 12:41 AM   #1
bloodypalace
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Reputation: 367
Posts: 4,807
Exclamation 32gb worth of GTA

I was going to buy EFLC till i found out they are TWO completely separate games even though 90% of the date is the same. Even if you have gta4 installed you still have to install another 16gb. Couldn't you guys make that they share the base files so only you have to only download the new stuff? This is just a waist of bandwidth and hdd space to me...
bloodypalace is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:10 AM   #2
oreoleo
 
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Reputation: 1
Posts: 34
You can buy the episodes through the GFWL marketplace in-game, that way they will be tied to your main GTA4 game, and only take up an additional 6GB or so of space.
oreoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:13 AM   #3
StingingVelvet
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Reputation: 264
Posts: 4,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by oreoleo View Post
You can buy the episodes through the GFWL marketplace in-game, that way they will be tied to your main GTA4 game, and only take up an additional 6GB or so of space.
You miss out on some content doing this though, for the record.

Why have both installed at once? Uninstall the original game, you'll be busy with the episodes for a long while anyway.
StingingVelvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:20 AM   #4
oreoleo
 
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Reputation: 1
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
You miss out on some content doing this though, for the record.

Why have both installed at once? Uninstall the original game, you'll be busy with the episodes for a long while anyway.
That was true for the 360 version, is it the case here? I'm inclined to think it's not, and even if it is it's only a few radio stations. Similarly I'm under the impression that if you buy EFLC separately through Steam you do not get the original GTA4 radio stations in-game. Again I'm drawing on the 360 version as evidence here but it may be different for PC. In any case I'm not sure either implementation is completely ideal.

As to why have it all installed at once? Because HDD space is cheap and there's no reason not to.
oreoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:02 AM   #5
StingingVelvet
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Reputation: 264
Posts: 4,797
The GFWL download might be different from the Xbox download, who knows.

The Steam download is the same as retail.
StingingVelvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:03 AM   #6
Jonnycox001
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Reputation: 0
Posts: 54
I have an off-beat question (somewhat in regards to the hard drive space issue)...

Are theses add-on episodes anymore optimized for PC than the GTA4 PC-port was? I ask only because, I bought GTA4 and was shocked to find it so very unbalanced (graphics-wise) on PC. Granted with the right setup, I'm sure it'd probably looks amazing, but I have...

...(modified HP Pavilion 061)...
Intel Core2Duo 1.86Ghz
2gigs ram
Radeon HD 4600 (1gig vid memory)
Windows Vista Home Premium (SP2)
large enough hard drive
Up-To-Date video drivers...

Sorry for posting in an out-of-category area, but I'm always a bit off-target. Any insight/advice would be GREAT!!!

Thanks guys!
Jonnycox001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:05 AM   #7
Freyar
 
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Reputation: 1434
Posts: 16,480
Quote:
Similarly I'm under the impression that if you buy EFLC separately through Steam you do not get the original GTA4 radio stations in-game. Again I'm drawing on the 360 version as evidence here but it may be different for PC. In any case I'm not sure either implementation is completely ideal.
If you buy EfLC through Steam, you get all the radio stations, plus two new ones. If you buy through GFWL, you don't get the two new ones. (as far as I am aware)
Freyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:33 AM   #8
Bluesman
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnycox001 View Post
I have an off-beat question (somewhat in regards to the hard drive space issue)...

Are theses add-on episodes anymore optimized for PC than the GTA4 PC-port was? I ask only because, I bought GTA4 and was shocked to find it so very unbalanced (graphics-wise) on PC. Granted with the right setup, I'm sure it'd probably looks amazing, but I have...

...(modified HP Pavilion 061)...
Intel Core2Duo 1.86Ghz
2gigs ram
Radeon HD 4600 (1gig vid memory)
Windows Vista Home Premium (SP2)
large enough hard drive
Up-To-Date video drivers...

Sorry for posting in an out-of-category area, but I'm always a bit off-target. Any insight/advice would be GREAT!!!

Thanks guys!
The episodes run the same as GTA IV with the 1.0.6 patch that came out yesterday. That patch changed a lot for a lot of people so if you have GTA IV already, give it a shot.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:52 AM   #9
chickengod799
 
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Reputation: 5
Posts: 356
only 32GB for both episodes and gta iv?! wow thats not much my steam folder is 133GB and another of my folders is 65GB and my last big folder is: 288GB
chickengod799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:20 AM   #10
Anudu
 
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Reputation: 12
Posts: 101
Can anyone who's downloaded both games through Steam name some big big files I could just copy over, rather than downloading them again?

Maybe you could do a diff of both directories and look into the md5sums? I know, that's quite a task, but every megabyte I already have is a waste of time and bandwith, so I'm wondering if I could reduce this amount, since I already have GTA IV installed.
Anudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:27 AM   #11
RedDragon513
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Reputation: 25
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anudu View Post
Can anyone who's downloaded both games through Steam name some big big files I could just copy over, rather than downloading them again?
This should work:

-> Install Episodes from Liberty City in the Steam client.
-> wait ~ 2 minutes so that all folders are created and pause the download
-> copy all the files from GTA IV to EFLC
-> Verify game files

Then Steam should only download the new files (and the files that have been changed in EFLC)
RedDragon513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:03 AM   #12
Anudu
 
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Reputation: 12
Posts: 101
That's indeed a nice idea. I guess I'll try that one.
Anudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:14 AM   #13
AeonGrey
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Reputation: 81
Posts: 705
If you've already beaten regular GTAIV, there's no reason to keep it uninstalled. I'm going to uninstall mine as soon as these new ones are downloaded. I have no reason to keep it, other than the fact that...well, honestly 32GB isn't that much space when you're talking about a 500GB hard drive.
AeonGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:13 PM   #14
bloodypalace
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Reputation: 367
Posts: 4,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeonGrey View Post
If you've already beaten regular GTAIV, there's no reason to keep it uninstalled. I'm going to uninstall mine as soon as these new ones are downloaded. I have no reason to keep it, other than the fact that...well, honestly 32GB isn't that much space when you're talking about a 500GB hard drive.
Well, that's not the point. Also, what about multiplayer modes? Can people with gta4 play with people who have EFLC?
bloodypalace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:35 PM   #15
Deadly_Target
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Reputation: 2597
Posts: 5,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodypalace View Post
Can people with gta4 play with people who have EFLC?
Nope.
Deadly_Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Grand Theft Auto series


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.