Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Defense Grid: The Awakening

Old 04-15-2010, 03:39 PM   #1
smithjason801

Thumbs up For those who loved Defense Grid and can't wait for more...

For those who loved Defense Grid and can't wait for more...

I've long held a passion for turret defense games. Defense Grid continues to rank at the upper echelon of the turret defense genre... Recently an unsuspecting game from Cadenza Interactive entered the scene, Sol Survivor. Initial impressions of Sol Survivor upon release were those of skepticism partially due to the fact that it followed in the wake of Defense Grid. From the onset, it had two things working against it... it was an indie game from an previously unknown indie company, and the available demo was less than impressive. However, my skepticism has turned in to amazement and adulation for this gem on Steam. Hands down Sol Survivor is one of the most impressive indie titles of the year, and stands on equal ground with Defense Grid. From a small team that has had no experience in the game industry before, they have certainly made an impression in the gaming world.

I'm not implying that community support for Defense Grid (DG) should decrease or cease... NOT AT ALL! Defense Grid set the bar of how others in the TD genre should innovate in the commercial arena. What I am saying is that at the LOW barrier of entry, ($10 USD price point) purchasing Sol Survivor (SS) for yourself (and a friend) isn't even a question for anyone who enjoyed Defense Grid! This is a MUST have for casual and hardcore fans alike. Supporting the TD genre is essential if we are to see games like DG and SS in the future.

Sol Survivor is a different flavor of TD, not to be confused with DG. You know those annoying stragglers that always seem to get past your defenses in TD games? SS gives a effective and ENGAGING way of dealing with these. SS brings to the table a dazzling array active orbital support abilities including firebombs, poisonous gas clouds, drones, lasers, nukes and roughly twenty more. Not only does this feature mitigate the need for a fast-forward button, it engages users throughout the entire four world, twenty level single player campaign. There is a difficulty slider that allows casual players up to hardcore fans to get the most from their numerous play-throughs. I'd highly recommend Hard or Intense for anyone who has played DG. There roughly ~300 in-game badges, 25 Steam Achievements to keep you playing the campaign over and over... easily 10-15 hours to scratch the surface of those.

Not only that, Sol Survivor differs from DG in that it has a fully featured steam integrated multiplayer component. Once you've moved on past playing the single player and are ready for a serious challenge, you can join in and play with up to 8 player sessions with friends and buddies online. There are campaign CoOp levels to attack, along with numerous other CoOp centric levels. There is a vesus mode where teams compete for level dominance against the attacking hordes of enemies. There is also a highly competitive mode called 'Wars' where players on opposing teams try to balance sending creeps at their opponents while trying to defend using turrets and support abilities. There is even a single player endless mode similar to that in Left 4 Dead where you are attacked mercilessly by advancing creeps. Myself and my buddies have each racked up over 60 play hours along on these modes separate from the campaign.

There are too many features and things to add to this list... Just ask/post on their Steam community page/forum and ask any of the players. The most amazing thing is that regularly the developers are online interacting with their fledgling community. The have actively turned out patches in short period (once in 24-hours) to deal with specific community feedback. They have corrected and take time to resolve EACH post on the forum as efficiently as possible. The Cadenza dev team regularly holds play sessions and can easily be 'friended' on Steam. The are directly and easily accessible. They have a heart and passion for their supporters. Few game developers can even compare. They are an example to all indie developers striving to make a name in the industry.

I rarely evangelize for games, but this one needs the support and help to get off the ground and to develop a community. If my comments haven't helped shed light on this game, check out their steam forums, steam community page, website or company forum or talk with them directly. It is a $10 dollar game, in-fact, worth much more in my opinion. Support development teams like this and DG... go BUY Sol Survivor on Steam, spread the word and develop the community by gifting it to a friend.

Wishing you all the best!

Here are those links... check them out!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/45000/
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...play.php?f=856
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Vw0VkD0ZNk
http://www.cadenzainteractive.com/SolSurvivor/
http://cadenzainteractive.com/SolSurvivor/forums/

Old 04-15-2010, 04:22 PM   #2
Spidery_Yoda

I tried the demo and got the impression that I had to rely on those orbital strikes to survive, and I didn't like that. I found that i'd build loads of towers, aliens would get through anyway so i'd sit there lasering the stragglers, by which point i'd have heaps of cash lying around and loads and loads of aliens were pouring through because I couldn't focus on building more towers.
Spidery_Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:21 PM   #3
NightBirdDS

Sol Survivor seems to be very different in a lot of ways. To me it feels way too complicated and unwieldy. I found that it was hard to keep an eye out on what was going on when you zoom in because the zoom just snaps in to the center of the screen and it takes me a moment to regain my bearings.

Orbital support is vital it seems, and to me that sort of defeats the purpose of a tower defense game.

Defense Grid is so much more fun for me. It seems simple enough at first, but now that I have more than 100 hours of game time into it between the PC and 360 versions I can safely say that it has far more depth than it lets on. That's the real key to DG. Simple elements but they combine in a far deeper way.

Sol Survivor seems to have a lot of complex elements that you need to learn to get anywhere. It doesn't feel as approachable of a game as DG does.

Not saying it's a bad game, just saying I prefer DG's style.
NightBirdDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:39 AM   #4
navossoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBirdDS View Post
Sol Survivor seems to be very different in a lot of ways. To me it feels way too complicated and unwieldy. I found that it was hard to keep an eye out on what was going on when you zoom in because the zoom just snaps in to the center of the screen and it takes me a moment to regain my bearings.

Orbital support is vital it seems, and to me that sort of defeats the purpose of a tower defense game.

Defense Grid is so much more fun for me. It seems simple enough at first, but now that I have more than 100 hours of game time into it between the PC and 360 versions I can safely say that it has far more depth than it lets on. That's the real key to DG. Simple elements but they combine in a far deeper way.

Sol Survivor seems to have a lot of complex elements that you need to learn to get anywhere. It doesn't feel as approachable of a game as DG does.

Not saying it's a bad game, just saying I prefer DG's style.
I agree!
I prefer DG's too.

Simple and fun!

[]'s
navossoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:50 PM   #5
Exaltedlegions

Quote:
Originally Posted by navossoc View Post
I agree!
I prefer DG's too.

Simple and fun!

[]'s
Not to put you down or anything but Sol Survivor isn't that complex to learn. Give it a good ten minutes of your time and you'll start to get it down.

As for orbital support, I believe it adds some depth to the TD genre. With that at least the player can actively engage in killing enemies instead of just staring at the screen watching the enemies go by. Remember those times when you watched an enemy get past your defenses? Didn't you wish you could kill that enemy? Orbital support allows for that. You don't have to constantly rely on orbital support, not if you use your turrets effectively. I'm not saying it makes the game easy, the harder difficulties will kick your butt, even in co-op (Sol Survivor difficulty balances by player count).

Cadenza Interactive released a new patch today that introduces a variety of new features including bindable controls and the ability to zoom to the cursor.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:00 PM   #6
DocturDread

I put in 65 hours of DG and 95 for Sol! Both games are a ton of fun but Sol Survivor is definately bigger and more complex. I got bored of cannons and guns all the time with DG and playing it now feels simplistic. Additionally, the multiplayer aspect of Sol with all its different commanders and support just make it a dream game for fans of the genre!
DocturDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:54 PM   #7
Phatose

Eh. The lack of a fast forward button fundamentally killed Sol Survivor for me. If I could return a steam game, I would return Sol Survivor.

The devs claim it's not in there because they designed the game to not need it. Perhaps that's true in the late game, but it's absolutely not in the early games, and boring me isn't a good way to make me continue to your later levels.

Action packed later levels do not make up for a game that starts slower then your typical squaresoft game.
Phatose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:06 PM   #8
54x

Phatose: Really, there's only two levels you'll miss fast forward on, and there's so much content after that that I'd highly suggest you stick with it, especially seeing as you should have both of them over well within half an hour.

While I prefer the defense grid style which emphasises the towers a lot more, I'm pretty impressed with SS in general, and the multiplayer is a blast.
54x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:23 PM   #9
DocturDread

Not an issue unless you are just sandboxing on normal difficulty setting. Sol Survivor is action packed at the hardest setting. Far more action than Defense Grid and will seem impossible to most. Though I'm still looking forward to the new DG expansion this month! (Sol Survivor just gave us 6 new maps for free today and no doubt there will be more!).
DocturDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:38 PM   #10
Exaltedlegions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatose View Post
Eh. The lack of a fast forward button fundamentally killed Sol Survivor for me. If I could return a steam game, I would return Sol Survivor.

The devs claim it's not in there because they designed the game to not need it. Perhaps that's true in the late game, but it's absolutely not in the early games, and boring me isn't a good way to make me continue to your later levels.

Action packed later levels do not make up for a game that starts slower then your typical squaresoft game.
And the reason I chose Sol Survivor over Defense Grid is because I thought DG too slow (even with FF).... What a strange world...
Old 04-16-2010, 05:31 PM   #11
RincewindZZ

As hard as it feels to make a choice between DG and SS as I love both games it still is very simple, just by going by total playtime I've played SS longer than most RPG'S last...
Sure I'm a huge tower defense fan but still, Sol Survivor offers so much replayability than your average TD game due to different turret builds with the various officers you can choose from. Anyone complaining about missing a fast forward button and especially checkpoints really should try a higher difficulty, if you're still not satisfied then maybe you should stick to another type of game?
RincewindZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 04:10 AM   #12
OJ191

I find that if you play on intense you will almost never want fast forward.
OJ191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:42 AM   #13
MasterOfTheTide

I beat both games and quite honestly DG has nothing on SS. DG is a run of the mill simplistic TD game and was ok, I guess. SS is so much better it is actually quite ridiculous. Coming from a die hard player of TD during the Warcraft 3 TFT days SS is the only game that is holding me until the release of SC2.

Honestly, if you like TD there is no other choice than Soul Survivor.
MasterOfTheTide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:46 PM   #14
afronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithjason801 View Post
For those who loved Defense Grid and can't wait for more...
smithjason801, I don't disagree with anyone voicing their opinion but your post comes across too much like advertising for me... especially since you've posted the same thing over in the Plants vs. Zombies forum. It's also too long; if you like Sol Survivor you should be able to summarise its best points in like 4 lines.

I've played the SS demo and didn't like it. I'd definitely rate DG and PvZ way above in terms of gameplay style... but then, thats just MY opinion after all.
afronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:42 AM   #15
richos

I love defense grid, and i dont like the SS demo at all...

Same genre, but pretty diferent games. And imo DG is more polish in all levels.
richos is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Defense Grid: The Awakening