Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Call of Duty series > Modern Warfare

Old 04-25-2010, 12:07 AM   #1
gtfaqs

Banned
Lightbulb Question about IWNet and DLC

So let's say that 50% of the steam community decide to buy the DLC and 50% don't. Does that mean that 50% of the steam community can't play with the other 50%? Wouldn't that break the game even more than it already is?
Old 04-25-2010, 12:08 AM   #2
Redfyre08

Banned
And this is where the debate about splitting the Modern Warfare 2 community begins.

Yes, that means, if a map jumps into the rotation and only half of the lobby have purchased it and the other half haven't, the lobby will be split and only those who have purchased it will be able to play, the others will be integrated into another lobby or be kicked back to the Main Menu if another lobby cannot be found.

Fun times.
Redfyre08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:15 AM   #3
Kiarash

Either way, both sides will suffer, cuz less players are playing.
Kiarash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:17 AM   #4
cal5k

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfaqs View Post
So let's say that 50% of the steam community decide to buy the DLC and 50% don't. Does that mean that 50% of the steam community can't play with the other 50%? Wouldn't that break the game even more than it already is?
DING DING DING!

WINNER!

You HAVE to buy the DLC if you play the game because you cant decide what map you want to play in a normal match.

suckers
Old 04-25-2010, 12:19 AM   #5
tdR-ftw

Banned
The new maps in the DLC will only be available in 2 exclusive playlists (Stimulus Mosh Pit and HC Stimulus Mosh Pit) that will only be available for people that bought the DLC. The maps will not show up in normal playlists.
tdR-ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:21 AM   #6
cal5k

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdR-ftw View Post
The new maps in the DLC will only be available in 2 exclusive playlists (Stimulus Mosh Pit and HC Stimulus Mosh Pit) that will only be available for people that bought the DLC. The maps will not show up in normal playlists.
BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Thats insane.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:27 AM   #7
MomentDEFINED

Quote:
This is absolutely wrong. The second post in this topic explained how it is going to work. Truly, there are playlists that only play the new maps, and there are still all the old playlists, but they will have the maps integrated into them.
MomentDEFINED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:31 AM   #8
cal5k

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomentDEFINED View Post
This is absolutely wrong. The second post in this topic explained how it is going to work. Truly, there are playlists that only play the new maps, and there are still all the old playlists, but they will have the maps integrated into them.
So does anyone know the rotation schedule of the new maps?

I cant wait to see this on youtube
Old 04-25-2010, 12:40 AM   #9
pwet

Hardcore moshpit ? rly ? THE playlist i want to see since the game came out, oh IW...
pwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:43 AM   #10
glassypool

Quote:
This is exactly how it works on the xbawks, so i'm guessing this is what'll happen for the PC.
glassypool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:55 AM   #11
dixiemagick

It could turn out to be a real mess.

Say you buy the DlC and click on a game list you like. Play a few rounds and finally one of the new maps come up. You are like ya i finally get to play this. Its gonna be awesome ive been waiting for this. Then you get kicked to a new lobby cause there were not enough players in your lobby with the new maps to start the game or the only good host does not have the map.

It will be most likely be just as bad for those who do not have it too.

Xbox did the seperate play lists, but it was short lived while they waited for more people to buy the DLC, also gamers complained about not being able to play in the play lists they liked.

Only time will tell exactly how it will work here. But one thing is for sure its gonna cause problems for DLC purchasers or its gonna cause problems for non DLC purchasers, but probably will cause problems for both.

Depending on how it all comes out they may have to put the new maps in new playlists only, in which case it will cause different problems, as you mentioned.

Maybe i am missing something, but it seems to me that its gonna be a lose lose situation for the players anyway you look at it.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:09 AM   #12
Redfyre08

Banned
It will begin as their own 2 playlists. However, later on in the DLC's life cycle they will be integrated into the normal rotation of playlists and those that do not own them will be removed from the lobby.
Redfyre08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:15 AM   #13
dixiemagick

Not that i'm doubting you, but if you are correct i predict a lot those people running around flaming everyone for not wanting to purchase this and calling them haters will in fact become haters and these forums will be filled with their cries.

Activision might even give the DLC for free or massively reduced price at that point. Wonder how they will feel then?
Old 04-25-2010, 01:21 AM   #14
MomentDEFINED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiemagick View Post
Not that i'm doubting you, but if you are correct i predict a lot those people running around flaming everyone for not wanting to purchase this and calling them haters will in fact become haters and these forums will be filled with their cries.

Activision might even give the DLC for free or massively reduced price at that point. Wonder how they will feel then?
I can appreciate your optimism, but clearly Activision understands the implications that the DLC will impose upon the community. As with everything else, they won't be taking any pity on the people complaining on the forums.
MomentDEFINED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:22 AM   #15
Inflatable

Congratulations to Activision for hitting a new low in PC gaming history by charging for a MP mappack (a way overcharged one aswell, but that's besides the point).. Gone are the times the community of fans online could make it's own maps and mods and distribute them for free among eachother.. They took all that away from us, together with free open dedicated servers, all so they could dictate and charge us for everthing instead, it was plainly obvious.. I had a little bit of hope they wouldn't have the guts for it on PC, but they did.. It all shows they don't give a sh*t about creating a fun free unrestricted online community game, all they want is our money.. It was just a matter of time until this DLC buisiness model (read: capitalistic "cancer") spread from the consoles over to the PC..

I really hope Respawn will now take over making great FPS games in the old CoD spirit, with free open dedicated server support and mod and custom map support.. I've totally given up on the CoD series under Activision (already did because of the restricted console-like online system, but this mappack charging really slammed the nail in the coffin for me)..

I also really hope the mappack sells really bad on PC, but I fear most gamers on PC nowadays are to ignorant and/or indifferent aswell to what's going on and will buy anyway.. Very bad news for the future of free and open PC online gaming..

/end of rant
Inflatable is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Call of Duty series > Modern Warfare