Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Bully: Scholarship Edition

Old 04-27-2010, 08:21 AM   #1
Zenibryum

Bully Freezing Problem.

I recently got Bully off from the Rockstar Complete Pack from the sale and i finished downloading it earlier, i booted it up to play and i got past the R* logo and then on the first loading screen with Jimmy on the game freezes and gets no further, any suggestions on how to fix it?
Old 04-27-2010, 02:34 PM   #2
Teneye

I have the exact same problem. Everything loads fine, nice and fast, after the intro cutscene finishes it says "Welcome to Bull-*w/e*" then pops up a window saying "Bully.exe has stopped working"
Hope someone has some way of fixing this
Old 04-27-2010, 03:12 PM   #3
Teneye

Ok got a wee update, i restarted ma PC and when i went to run bully again it had to do an update and now it doesn't crash It loads up into the game. Unfortunatly for me my laptop doesn't seem to be powerful enuff to run it smoothly But it still runs Hope this helps you
Old 04-28-2010, 06:19 AM   #4
Zenibryum

Mine still doesn't work, it just stays on the same loading screen. Looks like i'm gonna have toi redownload it.
Zenibryum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:43 AM   #5
chrisdglong

Banned
Ha. This is funny. You were experiencing the pre updated Bully. Bully before the update was unplayable, plus you couldn't have more then 4 gigs of ram on your computer or else the game wouldn't play.

Zen, try to update it again. What you are describing is the endless loading that occurred prior to the update. Rockstar flopped with Bully. It took forever to get a playable update out of them.
chrisdglong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:44 PM   #6
MaskedAvenger

Game unplayable for me

I have the same problem - I can load everything up until "welcome to bullworth" and then it crashes out. OS is Vista/32 bit, 2GB RAM.

I've tried various methods of using XP compatibility, played with the video settings and been through all the forum posts I can find about bully crashes on this site and elsewhere.

It seems that this type of problem has been around in Bully since the start. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I might try before I start to take the opinion that bully does not represent goods that are fit for sale?
Old 04-30-2010, 01:03 PM   #7
cloudninja

Can't get past the Long Loading Screen

I'm having this problem even AFTER the patch apparently.

When I first loaded up the game, everything went smooth. It started I started to play, had some fun, and had to quit for a little while. Before I did I had the "GREATEST IDEA." I have a decent computer I thought I would INCREASE the graphics and the resolution.

I increased the resolution to 1200x800 (the max it would let me)
I increased AA to 2
I turned on V-Sync
I also increased the shadow to medium (which i was then promoted with "you will have to restart the game")

Just for kicks I decided to just see what it looked like and how it ran before I got off.

I get to the first loading screen with the title and the blue background
I get through the small R* company movie
I get to the "Loading" screen that shows several diffrent art pictures of from the game ... and that's it

It goes through the whole rotation of about 6-8 pictures and continues to cycle through them and I never get out.

I've tried the the method the sticky suggested (decrease RAM to around 1500Mb) it did nothing
I tried telling windows to force it to display at 680x800 and the game goes back to 1280x800 and goes back to the loading screen where it left off
I re-downloaded the game and it's STILL in 1280x800 and still stuck at the loading (before, the first time, it was in 800x600)
I did a back up and re installed and it STILL does the same as the above.
I've tried compatibility mode and nothing improves.
I tried re-downloading the R* patch and I got a error.

I don't know how to force steam to re-download the patch if that's possible. I also verified the cache, no problems were found.

I'm at a loss, and feel like i just lost my money (luckily it was $7.50 but still). Can anyone help?

Also do I have to load up my specific specs since this computer (a laptop) is less than a year old, and has a Intel Centrino2 Processor, 8 GB of ram, and 512 V-card?
Old 05-01-2010, 04:56 AM   #8
Dead-Boy

zeni, do you get a error about your sound card having to be compatible with direct x 9.0c?

If you do, then your gonna have to disable your sound card via windows "Device Manager" and use another "compatible" sound card... its annoying but you may have to use the onboard "motherboard" sounds to play the game... or you can do what I did and use a cheap USB sound card to play the game.

I had a USB sound card that was supposed to be for a headset, but it basically acts as a USB sound card with headphone and mic jack.

cloud... sounds like your gonna have to go into the registry and get rid of the files... make sure you back up the reg first.

Sorry but I don't know enough about the registry to tell you how to do it, as I never mess it much, just know that sometimes when you install something, it leaves a record in the registry, even if you try to uninstall it later, its why you sometimes have to reinstall/restore windows after awhile.

Also be aware that it might mess with the DRM if one is used with this game, as you will be basically "installing" it in a "new" computer, as it has no record of it in your computer. Just in case it has a DRM.
Dead-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 01:04 PM   #9
cloudninja

Talking It WORKED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Boy View Post

cloud... sounds like your gonna have to go into the registry and get rid of the files... make sure you back up the reg first.

Sorry but I don't know enough about the registry to tell you how to do it, as I never mess it much, just know that sometimes when you install something, it leaves a record in the registry, even if you try to uninstall it later, its why you sometimes have to reinstall/restore windows after awhile.

Also be aware that it might mess with the DRM if one is used with this game, as you will be basically "installing" it in a "new" computer, as it has no record of it in your computer. Just in case it has a DRM.
I ... can't ... believe this ... IT.... OMG ... WORKED!!!!!!!!

I actually went into my registry and found it under rock star games entry. I deleted it and the game. I then loaded my backup and it WORKS! It's now back to the 800x600 and PLAYS!

I'll highlight the steps for anyone that runs into this again!

Note: This is only for MY problem, as previously stated on this post. I don't know how to fix anything else, and this may not work for any of YOUR problems, computer or otherwise.

1)use the Back Up Game Files option when you right click the game. (This will allow you to create a backup so you don't have to download the 5+GB game when you delete it, should take about 10+min for a DVD copy.

2)Right click again and click Delete Local Content. This deletes the majority, but not ALL of the game.

3)There will be some extra files to delete now. Wither or not you actually have to delete them is really up to you, but I purged the game form my system.

- I found some files in:

C:\Users\(Your User Name Here)\Documents\Bully Scholarship Edition

I deleted them.

- C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\bully scholarship edition

This is where the game is, and some files are left over from the uninstall and I deleted them as well.

Note: I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Edition I don't know if this will work for other systems, you may have to find it on your own just try to find the steam folder and the rest of the link should be correct

4)The registry part: (Backup, I didn't, but I'm a trained professional. Do not try it with out a back up! I don't know how to do a back up so don't ask me. )

- Click the start menu/Windows Orb and find/use the run command.

- type in run box regedit (computer will warn you about what you are doing ... ignore it and continue/yes)

- I found the registry entry here

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1505292610-2069526505-2602301253-1000\Software\Rockstar Games

Again this may vary from OS to OS, but this is where I found mine. Just look for the Rockstar Games and Bully Scholarship edition folder (in-case you have more than one R* Game on your system) and delete it.

5)Either put in/start the DVD back up or go to"

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Backups and use the reinstall program.

That's what I did, probably deleted all my save data but it's working again. The folder in "Your Documents" maybe the save data, and you may not have to delete them if you want to continue. I don't know if it will work but you can always try!

I give thanks to Dead-Boy for the idea to go into the registry and for helping me out. Now hopefully if anyone runs into this problem, these steps will help!
Old 05-02-2010, 04:01 PM   #10
Dead-Boy

no worries, I was just looking around and found a similar problem with another game from steam, and thought that it sounded like it might help you.

Game on
Dead-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:51 AM   #11
M-man

For me it works fine, it crashes or freezes after more then an hour, minimal two hours.
I searched all over the Internet for fixing the problem when i installed, because before it crashed after maximum 20 minutes.
So i searched and i did this:
?Installed the v2.0 patch (Little help)
?Added to my registry 384 MB Pool Memory Fix (it is supposed to fix games like Bully from crashing). It helped at the Yum Yum Market when it always the game crashes.
?Changed my Max Memory to 1500 MB (Little help)
?Turned on Vertical Sync in the game (Maybe a little help)

So now i can enjoy the game a lot without crashing!
Hope it helped!

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Bully: Scholarship Edition