Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 04-27-2010, 11:53 AM   #1
bolt

Steam games on Windows 98? Somehow?

Is there any way to fool Steam into running on Windows 98? Or to run the downloaded games after copying them to a machine with Windows 98?

A bunch of the older games on Steam don't work too well on my current Windows 7 machine. Mainly sound issues (e.g. Max Payne) and speed issues (e.g. Commandos). However, these games run perfectly on Windows 98. Is there a way to put them on my Windows 98 machine and run them?

EDIT: Yes, I know Steam stopped supporting Win98. I still want to run this. The games didn't stop supporting it.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:55 AM   #2
Immanuel

It's not safe to run Windows 98 any longer. You are probably already part of a botnet.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:57 AM   #3
mrleadfellow

You can emulate xp threw windows 7,This should fix your troubles with sound and other small errors.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:58 AM   #4
bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
It's not safe to run Windows 98 any longer. You are probably already part of a botnet.
That's bull. I don't browse the web from that box. I don't do anything but run old programs and games. My firewall doesn't even allow that box to access the Internet, so I very much doubt that it's part of any kind of botnet. Also, I'd clearly see any attempt at connecting to anything in my firewall logs.
bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:00 PM   #5
bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrleadfellow View Post
You can emulate xp threw windows 7,This should fix your troubles with sound and other small errors.
That feature was not made for games, and does not perform very well for them. VMWare actually does a bit better (I've tried both) but they don't fix the issues, and they add new ones.

Also, by doing that I'd miss out on the charm of retro gaming
Old 04-27-2010, 12:06 PM   #6
mrleadfellow

Well it works on most,Like my fathers pc.I run vista with sp2 and have no problems with any games even really old ones like quake2,kingpin,sof..ect
Old 04-27-2010, 12:11 PM   #7
paratech2008

Even if you could run Steam on 98, there aren't many games that will run on 98, even most Indie games require XP. IMSHO you should get XP, if not Windows 7.
paratech2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:17 PM   #8
bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrleadfellow View Post
Well it works on most,Like my fathers pc.I run vista with sp2 and have no problems with any games even really old ones like quake2,kingpin,sof..ect
Try Commandos. Or just google for "Commandos XP fix". There's a reason for that to exist. It doesn't run well on XP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paratech2008 View Post
Even if you could run Steam on 98, there aren't many games that will run on 98, even most Indie games require XP. IMSHO you should get XP, if not Windows 7.
The games that used to run on Windows 98 still do. I have XP, and I even mentioned in my first post that I have Windows 7. That's part of the problem.

This is not for recent games, indie or not. It's for the old ones.

Last edited by bolt: 04-27-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:21 PM   #9
HarryHy

Sorry, I don't know how to do what you want.

My question though, is why don't you get a newer OS, then run whatever games are Win98-Only in its compatibility mode?
HarryHy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:22 PM   #10
mrleadfellow

Yeah there is a lot more that I don't like about this new steam than I do like now.Steam is just trying to sell you things is the main reason why they won't use 98 now and you know its all about the money.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:22 PM   #11
paratech2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolt View Post
The games that used to run on Windows 98 still do. I have XP, and I even mentioned in my first post that I have Windows 7. That's part of the problem.

This is not for recent games, indie or not. It's for the old ones.
Sorry, I missed that. I don't think there's much you can do regarding that. I understand you predicament. I have several Win 95/98 games I like that don't work on XP, let alone Windows 7. Two Sega Smash Packs, Lose Your Marbles, and some other games refuse to run.

I know when the time comes I can run a Virtual Win 95 on my XP system, but that wouldn't help you, as you need Steam to run. I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

paratech2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:26 PM   #12
bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHy View Post
My question though, is why don't you get a newer OS, then run whatever games are Win98-Only in its compatibility mode?
Because it doesn't work. Take the above mentioned XP fix for commandos. There's one for Vista/Max Payne. These games require fixes and tweaks and hackish stuff to work on newer platforms. If installed on Windows 98, they run perfectly.

If the simple fix was to enable compatibility mode, there wouldn't be huge threads about the games, and lots of fixes to make them work. People would just tell you to use the compatibility mode.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:08 PM   #13
RUSBoris

There's no way, sorry I know how you feel. And Steam knowingly sells those games (Commandos series, Deus Ex, many more) that don't run on newer computers without hacks of some sort. I fell for this twice now and both times I was refused a refund. It's BS. So I wanted to get an old computer for a 98 box but Steam no longer supports Windows 98. You won't be able to install Steam on that.

http://steamreview.org/posts/win98supportends/
RUSBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:23 PM   #14
bb10

Max Payne runs fine here (7 x64). I don't have the other one you mentioned, but you can check the game's forum here on steam and see if anyone has found a way to solve the problems.
bb10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:55 PM   #15
AnAkIn

Steam ends OS support at the same time that Microsoft do.
Microsoft stopped supporting Win95/98 and Steam did too.
Microsoft will stop supporting Win2000 somewhen in July, and Steam will do too.
AnAkIn is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips