Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Battlefield series

Old 04-28-2010, 06:13 AM   #1
Die_Angel

[BF2142] Game is not starting in Windows 7 x64!

I'm posting here in the event that "someone" might have heard of a fix, i bought Battlefield 2142 deluxe edition and installed it through EA downloader, when i launch the game, the screen goes black 2-3 times and then the game exit "this program has stopped working"

I'm not even getting to the intro videos/main menu.
I recall installing the demo earlier this year and it working fine, but i have no idea what is wrong now.

I have the lastest drivers/directx update on pretty much everything, i've been trying to solve this since almost a week.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:17 AM   #2
shockertwin

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Die_Angel View Post
I'm posting here in the event that "someone" might have heard of a fix, i bought Battlefield 2142 deluxe edition and installed it through EA downloader, when i launch the game, the screen goes black 2-3 times and then the game exit "this program has stopped working"

I'm not even getting to the intro videos/main menu.
I recall installing the demo earlier this year and it working fine, but i have no idea what is wrong now.

I have the lastest drivers/directx update on pretty much everything, i've been trying to solve this since almost a week.
Delete the BF2142 folders from your my documents and try again. If that doesn't work, go in to settings.ini and change the refresh rate to 59 (Or 1 less than your native).
shockertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:45 AM   #3
BrahmaDogAlpha

If you have 2 monitors hooked up, disconnect the second one. It may be trying to go to a much higher res than your monitor can support.

A little more info on your setup would be helpful also.

Edit: Didn't read Shockertein's post.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:54 AM   #4
Hundbert

x64 platform is not supported by the game.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:54 AM   #5
DrunkPunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hundbert View Post
x64 platform is not supported by the game.
how are so many people, myself included, playing it on said platform then?
DrunkPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:57 AM   #6
Twombly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkPunk View Post
"not supported" just means they don't have it 100% working. They might be working on it, it might work for some people, but it's not to be expected that it works.
Twombly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:58 AM   #7
DrunkPunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twombly View Post
"not supported" just means they don't have it 100% working. They might be working on it, it might work for some people, but it's not to be expected that it works.
Gotcha. Well, that's quite a letdown, considering how many people are going straight to 64.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:04 AM   #8
Hundbert

Quote:
No i meant if you have a problem and call ea support hotline or whatver its called they will check what os you are running. if you are running on x64 they will tell you the game isnt supported on that platform and you will not get any help.

sorry if it was unclear. a bad habit of mine.

the game might work on x64 but isnt supported

Last edited by Hundbert: 04-28-2010 at 08:07 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:09 AM   #9
Die_Angel

Complete DX Diag here:
http://pastebin.com/n7DRJTEH

Also i tried to use a single monitor and to run it windowed, the same thing happen and the error report isn't really helping.
Die_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:11 AM   #10
DrunkPunk

Quote:
Complete DX Diag here:
http://pastebin.com/n7DRJTEH

Also i tried to use a single monitor and to run it windowed, the same thing happen and the error report isn't really helping.
yeah multiple monitor support is definitely not the issue, just about every gmae is able to handle that these days, including this one. Have you tried running it in a different compatibility mode? That's about the last thing I can think of, personally.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:33 AM   #11
Die_Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkPunk View Post
yeah multiple monitor support is definitely not the issue, just about every gmae is able to handle that these days, including this one. Have you tried running it in a different compatibility mode? That's about the last thing I can think of, personally.
Yep i tried nearly every possible compatibility mode.

i really hope for an 1.51 patch

otherwise i guess i'm gonna try to get a refund.
Die_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:31 AM   #12
shockertwin

Banned
Quote:
Yep i tried nearly every possible compatibility mode.

i really hope for an 1.51 patch

otherwise i guess i'm gonna try to get a refund.
The game will crash if the resolution settings are not supported by your monitor.

I was wrongish. Go into the BF2142 directory and edit "video.con". Make sure that the resolution and refresh rate are supported by your monitor for the default profile. Setting it to native is obviously best.

Yes there is a 1.51 patch on the way (at which time it will be available on steam and the expansion will be included in it I believe). The people responsible for it are tied up with the monstrosity that is Bad Company 2 though. They said it is a few months away.

Last edited by shockertwin: 04-28-2010 at 10:34 AM.
shockertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:41 AM   #13
AmatoL

It may be of no help whatsoever but if I remember rightly BF2 and 2142 liked you to start the very first time in a res of 800x600, the games basic resolotion. The game would then launch and you could change to your desired res, it would be ok after that. Like shockertwin said, edit in video.con file.If your resolution does not show in the drop down list then you could always add a little command to the .exe shortcut stating your resolution. Shouldn't be too hard to find the relevant text by doing a search.

This may not be your issue, but it was definitely an issue that I've had myself when the game wouldn't launch.
AmatoL is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Battlefield series