Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Grand Theft Auto series

Old 04-28-2010, 08:24 AM   #1
PumpkinCrook

Exclamation GTA 4 CTD on load and when changing graphics settings

Specs
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+
Gigabyte GA-M55SLI-S4 Rev. 2.0
4 GB (4 x 1024 MB) of Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800
Sapphire Radeon HD 5750
Antec Earthwatts 500w PSU
Windows 7 Professional x64

So I just bought GTA 4, and I can get into the menu just fine, but if I try to begin a new game or change any of the graphics options I just get a black screen, and the game crashes after a short time. If I begin a new game, the black screen happens right after the loading screen, and if I try to change any of the graphics options, it happens right as I press "accept changes". While it's displaying the black screen, the monitor continually resets like it's changing resolutions. I've also tried verifying the GTA game files, backing up/deleting/restoring GTA, deleting settings and savegame folders, and some mods like Xliveless.

I can't seem to find anyone else with this problem, but after some poking around I decided to check the Windows event log to see if it recorded any errors from GTA (since I get none when it crashes). Sure enough, every time I start a new game or change settings, Windows is registering a "warning: display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered" error. I've found a lot of people with this problem (for most people, it occurs after playing for a short time), but it seems like it's usually related to overclocking. My card is still running at stock speeds, but I did try most of their suggestions, like disabling Timeout Detection and Recovery of GPUs, trying different driver versions (10.4a and 9.12), underclocking, and turning off Aero.

Every other game I have runs fine (e.g. Bad Company 2, Aliens vs. Predator, Borderlands), but I can't for the life of me get GTA 4 working. Any suggestions?

Last edited by PumpkinCrook: 04-28-2010 at 08:31 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:29 AM   #2
Extreme_0ne

Just a thought; are you certain you are running at the correct refresh rate?
Extreme_0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:36 AM   #3
PumpkinCrook

I have an LCD monitor, and GTA is set to display at 60 Hz. I would think though that if that were the case I wouldn't even be able to get into the menu, but that part works fine until I decide to change something (even if I'm only changing, say, the detail level, and leaving the resolution untouched).
PumpkinCrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:39 AM   #4
Extreme_0ne

Have you tried lowering the graphics options to lowest and seeing if you can run the game?

If you can at least get the game running : lowest settings you can begin gradually increasing graphics options until you experience the crash.

Also, another thought, have you checked that you have the latest version of DirectX installed.
Extreme_0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:48 AM   #5
PumpkinCrook

I haven't, but I'll try that now.

I've made sure to have the newest DX version, as well as VC++ and all that. I even uninstalled all the VC++ updates and reinstalled the ones GTA/Catalysts wanted. The only thing though is that I can't install all the files GTA included in the installers folder, specifically umdf.exe and wmfdist11.exe give me the error "not enough storage is available to process this command", despite having 90 gigs free on my HD.

EDIT: Tried starting GTA with the -safemode command line: no dice.

Last edited by PumpkinCrook: 04-28-2010 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:20 PM   #6
PumpkinCrook

Just an update, I tried Catalyst 9.11 and 10.4 final, neither work.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:12 AM   #7
PumpkinCrook

Still can't play... any more ideas?
Old 05-06-2010, 10:20 AM   #8
blue_commet

Hey i have the same problem, though i dont have that problem when i try to change the graphics settings. Make sure you (if it asks you like it asks me) to sign in and not play offline and make sure you log into your profile before the in game menu screen shows up as that fixed it for me and maybe it will for you to. also verify integrity of game cache.

Last edited by blue_commet: 05-06-2010 at 10:28 AM.
blue_commet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:58 AM   #9
PumpkinCrook

I've tried verifying the cache a bunch of times, but it's never seemed to help.

As for logging in, do you means GFL or R*SC? I think I'm using an offline GFL profile, but I do have a log in for R*.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Grand Theft Auto series