Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 04-28-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
pixelfish

Unhappy Steam won't load

I see the process in the task manager, but the windows or dock icon never appear. I've done the deleting the blob file and steam.dll and steamUI.dll file tricks for the past 2-3 months when this happened, but now this trick isn't working. I see it download the new UI updates, then it just disappears and never responds. Am I missing some other updates I need to make the new steam work? It all stopped working when the new steam was launched.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:05 PM   #2
KEMC2k6

steam is broken, gotta wait on the tech guys to figure the puzzle they have created
Old 04-28-2010, 05:15 PM   #3
Arctic Ice

Volunteer Moderator
Make sure your game files (found in the SteamApps folder) are saved in another directory. Next I would re-download Steam and ask it to repair the installation.
Arctic Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:19 PM   #4
mcpallo7

hello yes i am sadly having the same problem i have searched like all over the world cant find anything here is what happend - Go home started steam.... Updated perfect! so happy then it didnt do anything.... so i clicked it again.. didnt open i did ctrl-alt-dele found process and there was no STEAM.EXE Running .... i tried deleted steam.dll once ... running as admin / EVERYTHING almost - i am running Windows 7.. and thats the problem i think - i know that vista is working perfect.. but my windows 7 inst any help would be great i have tried tons but still need to figure it out i have unistalled and re installed.. Thanks
Old 04-29-2010, 07:40 AM   #5
pixelfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Ice View Post
Make sure your game files (found in the SteamApps folder) are saved in another directory. Next I would re-download Steam and ask it to repair the installation.
I didn't backup my steam apps folder it's maybe 30gb which is too crazy to copy a backup of. I only really have 1 game with saves anyways. I did the repair but I'm not able to restart right now, I'll check back if that fixes it or not and give an update.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:51 AM   #6
mcpallo7

Pixel if you find anything please tell me thanks bud.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:49 PM   #7
pixelfish

No dice. Doing the repair didn't fix the steam issue. I tried deleting the blog and dll files as well, also didn't work when combined with a repair and restart. Seems like I might need to try a full uninstall and reinstall next.

I'm on windows xp if that makes a difference.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:08 AM   #8
sambob

Maybe you can find and fix the problem by going to the support page and searching for 'programs which may interfere with Steam'.
sambob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:47 AM   #9
pixelfish

No lucky. I compared all the programs and none of them were running or installed. I think I'll try a complete uninstall today and see if that helps.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:49 AM   #10
Bobby Road

Pixel, same problem did complete uninstall (lost my games too) and same problem
Bobby Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:27 AM   #11
YutzWagon

Same problem on top of others that made Customer Support un-usable... Joy.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:49 AM   #12
foyie

steam is a joke it wont load then u have to mess about with files and folders and then finally when u do get it loaded all of ur games are gone and then u gotta start downloading them again even thou they are all on ur machine nice 1 steam
Old 04-30-2010, 09:52 AM   #13
foyie

and then when u start downloading it comes through at 1.4 mb even thou u got 20m broadband
Old 04-30-2010, 11:19 AM   #14
Grey Fox V1

A reinstall fixed this for me.
Grey Fox V1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:49 PM   #15
pixelfish

I wasn't able to really uninstall since they put the uninstall option inside of steam, which is not starting. I did it through the windows add/remove programs control panel and it removed it I guess, but the entire folder was still there, just missing about 5 files. So now I have an unworking steam directory, which wouldn't let me install on top of it (non-empty folder error), so I made a /steam2/ folder and installed to that. New install of steam will also not start. =(

I really hope I don't need to format my PC and start all over from scratch just to get steam working again, and worse yet, do all that and it still doesn't work. =(

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips