Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > FUEL

Old 04-30-2010, 08:52 AM   #1
Jclool

Cool Logitech Dual Action Game Pad (How to use it on Fuel?)

Logitech Dual Action Game Pad (How to use it on Fule?)

Like i said in the title i just bought it and i dont know how to use it, Fuel has controller enabled but i also want to use it on Dirt2 which doesn't or any other game.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:05 PM   #2
runehamster

Hmm...if there's no support in game, I believe Logitech's controllers usually ship with a CD. That software should allow you to set up a profile for the game (don't worry, the CD walks you through it) where keyboard keys are mapped to controller buttons, so you are basically fooling the game into thinking you're using a keyboard but you're playing with the controller.
runehamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 10:39 PM   #3
sarrik

Your only chance of using your controller in this game is to emulate mouse and keyboard using the Wingman software. If you don't have the original CD, google Logitech support and download it. Then you'll have to set it up.

Such a shame that Logitech have been so lax in getting their x-input controllers onto the market.
Microsoft is to blame for killing dxinput controllers in one fell swoop, but others should by now, surely have something readily available.
Not so, however.
Where I'm from, the only xinput controller that's available is the xbox 360 for windows controller.
Logitech has one, but try finding it in australia. Or even on their own website.

I hate the layout on the 360 controller. They're built for kid's hands and what the hell is the left stick doing up there?!!? Stupid.
However, these controllers are pretty solid, wireless, and if you buy the charge and play thing, you don't need batteries. Plus you can have four on one USB port (never tried this, but that's what they claim).
Also, every game that uses xinput has the button layout built in plus vibration, and will more than likely be much more intuitive, as they all seem to use the colored ABXY button configuration.
So, either knuckle under and emulate with Logi's software, or grab an annoyingly small, oddly configured kiddie controller and deal with it once and for all.
sarrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:50 AM   #4
Fumciasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarrik View Post
So, either knuckle under and emulate with Logi's software, or grab an annoyingly small, oddly configured kiddie controller and deal with it once and for all.
I feel you man. I did the latter when my Thrustmaster broke and it's nice not to deal with setting up the controls on most new games. The controller is really just like you described, made for kids. The white colour also doesn't help as you have to clean it after every gaming session so it won't look like crap.

Yeah, unless you have an xbox gamepad clone that uses xinput then you're stuck with emulating keys as no Games for Windows game will let you use your pad

And then when you finally give in and buy the xbox-compatible pad, you'll find out that OLDER games actually don't support the xbox pad and you'll need to emulate keys on it
Fumciasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:53 AM   #5
sarrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumciasty View Post
And then when you finally give in and buy the xbox-compatible pad, you'll find out that OLDER games actually don't support the xbox pad and you'll need to emulate keys on it
And there's the rub. The 360 controller, once you come to terms with it is actually a good controller. But what happens when you want to play an old game?
Hope you've still got that comfy old Rumblepad laying around
Anyone got any AA batteries??? Give you a cookie for 'em!
Old 05-02-2010, 01:54 AM   #6
CalebSan

Quote:
Yeah, unless you have an xbox gamepad clone that uses xinput then you're stuck with emulating keys as no Games for Windows game will let you use your pad
Wrong, there are xbox controller emulators, pretty easy to use and you don't have to emulate keys/mouse. You just have to copy a dll and an ini file to the game folder, and it works like a charm (there is also a test application to see if everything is configured right).

Tested it with several GFWL games (Fuel, Dirt, GTA4 & EFLC, Batman AA etc.) and my crappy no name controller, always worked so far.

Google it or follow this. On that thread they also explain what to do if the right stick is screwed up.

Have fun.

Last edited by CalebSan: 05-02-2010 at 02:00 AM.
CalebSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 03:18 AM   #7
Necronaught

For those reading this don't be put off by the xbox 360 controller it is far better than the PS3 one. Oh yes it is, ofc you will suck and die using it for FPS games, but for Racing and fighting games you can't go wrong
Necronaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 03:50 AM   #8
freibooter

Alright, let's keep it short:

Use this if you want to use any other controller for an Xinput/Xbox 360 controller only game:

http://code.google.com/p/x360ce/

Its easy to use and works pretty much flawlessly.

If you are lucky enough to own an Xbox 360 controller (if it weren't for the awfully useless d-pad it might very well be one of the best controllers ever made) and you want to use "old" DirectInput-only games with it, then fret not:
Not only is it almost fully compatible to DirectInput, the one thing that is missing - Force Feedback - can easily be restored by installing this little driver:

http://66.163.168.225/babelfish/tran....html&.intl=au

It#s easily installed and once you do there is no need to do anything: Force Feedback will simply work just like on any DirectInput controller.
freibooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 04:50 AM   #9
sarrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necronaught View Post
For those reading this don't be put off by the xbox 360 controller it is far better than the PS3 one. Oh yes it is, ofc you will suck and die using it for FPS games, but for Racing and fighting games you can't go wrong
I'd take a PS3 controller over a 360 controller any day. Not much difference, really, same buttons, two analog sticks, two analog triggers. It's just that ps3 controllers have the left stick in a logical place, and you don't feel like a praying mantis while you're using it.
Only problem with PS3 controllers is that they aren't compatible with xinput, or pc's in general.
Yes, I'm aware that there are hacks, but that's all they are, and they're not easy to use.
Hence, my wish that Logitech would get their poo together and get a wireless pad out there, as they tend to be built for humans and set up in the playstation fashion.

Edit: If it wasn't obvious, however, I am recommending the 360 controller. It is a very well built pad, and support for mapping and vibration is unmatched right now.
It's wireless and can be made rechargeable.
All things any sane gamer wants.
It's just so... Small. And the left stick is... up there... Why is the left stick up there?

Last edited by sarrik: 05-02-2010 at 05:05 AM.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:31 AM   #10
Fumciasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by freibooter View Post
Alright, let's keep it short:

Use this if you want to use any other controller for an Xinput/Xbox 360 controller only game:

http://code.google.com/p/x360ce/
I've tried a couple of hacks to get GTA IV and Prototype to work with my Thrustmaster, but to no avail. If I ever get a new one, I'll keep this in mind.

Quote:
Not only is it almost fully compatible to DirectInput, the one thing that is missing - Force Feedback - can easily be restored
Well, Price of Persia: Two Thrones doesn't work well with it. The game insists that the triggers are analog sticks and it didn't let me change it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarrik View Post
It's just so... Small. And the left stick is... up there... Why is the left stick up there?
And the D-Pad is almost useless. It's has to be tiny because they put it where the left analog should be, and because it's round when playing games like Prototype or Devil May Cry 4 you want to press it fast, but to press it the right way you need to practice for like a week.

It's not a bad pad, but there are many better ones out there. Shame Microsoft won't let you use them.

Last edited by Fumciasty: 05-02-2010 at 05:47 AM.
Fumciasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 05:33 AM   #11
jenkins_08

get Xpadder.

Best joystick and input configuration editor ever. This will be able to remap controls that even windows cannot achieve. It's free and there is even a pack somewhere on the net that has about 800mb of presets to cover just about every controller ever made.
jenkins_08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 05:48 AM   #12
sarrik

Quote:
And the D-Pad is almost useless.
Yeah, the rocking mongrel. Might be good if you're trying to make a character dance... But does nothing for normal usage.
"What? Health pack? Noooo, I wanted the shotgun!!!"

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > FUEL