Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Cities XL

Old 05-01-2010, 07:40 PM   #1
ttcfcl

Question Error: The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration...

Ok, I know of the horrible drama and mixed reviews and shutting down of the "world" MMO aspect. I really don't care, I just like building cities and architecture and all that jazz. I bought the game, I know I'm commited and can't get a refund, and besides I'm genuinely interested in playing this game. I install it, and get an error. Let's get into the details:

First and importantly, I'm on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit (yes, legit). The first thing this game tried to do was install .NET 2.0 x86, which then gave me an error saying this version of .NET was not for 64bit machines. Makes since. I wen't to try to install the x64 version of .NET 2.0, and I learn that it is already installed by default on all Win7 64 installs. When I launch the game, the full error I get is "Error: The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail"

I have no idea where the log is, and might see what the heck the sxstrace tool does, but I could not find anyone else getting this error when searching the Steam forums or the Webernet.

Anyone else with 64bit machines get this to work? I already have the latest Steam patch that MonteCristo recommend to install (Steam isntalls it for you)

Thanks for assistance or advice.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:04 PM   #2
Grunwaldt

Steam doesn't install the patch for you, you have to do it manually. At least, it is the way I seem to get the game running for the first time.

I can't help you much as I don't use a 64-bit operating system. Try installing the patch before you try to log in, does the launcher even work for you?
Grunwaldt is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Cities XL