Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 05-01-2010, 09:48 PM   #1
Kompressor

Install All Games At Once

It takes forever to install all of my games one at a time. Is there a way to install all or multiple games at the same time?
Old 05-01-2010, 09:50 PM   #2
FroggySwede

Stop uninstalling them?
Old 05-01-2010, 09:54 PM   #3
Maledict21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kompressor View Post
It takes forever to install all of my games one at a time. Is there a way to install all or multiple games at the same time?
No matter what you do, you're going to be limited by your internet connection. Unless you upgrade to a better connection, there isn't much you can do to speed up the process.
Maledict21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 10:04 PM   #4
cwsault

Well, the process could certainly be sped up if Steam supported selecting more than one game at once to right click and hit install on....
cwsault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 10:08 PM   #5
dawnerd

It would be nice if after having three or more games downloading, if the preparing screen didn't take forever.

Although I don't think it would be feasible to have an install all option.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:09 PM   #6
Maledict21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsault View Post
Well, the process could certainly be sped up if Steam supported selecting more than one game at once to right click and hit install on....
Even so, installing that many games at once is going to make the downloads really crawl.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:04 PM   #7
MovieMan999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maledict21 View Post
Even so, installing that many games at once is going to make the downloads really crawl.
Does it matter? I like to start a bunch at one time and let them run overnight, they'll finish by morning. As the smaller ones finish off the bigger ones go faster and faster.

Install all doesn't sound sensible, though. Most people have 100+ games on their account, and telling Steam to go out and download 100+ games at one time could possibly result in a super overload at Valve HQ.

No, I'm just kidding, but honestly I would like to be able to select several via Ctrl + Click and installing several that way. It would be much more efficient than going through one-by-one, waiting a while for each prepare screen to pop up.
MovieMan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 04:48 AM   #8
nifelan

The overhead when installing several games at once could seriously impact your download performance. Also think about fragmentation that will occur when you download several games at the same time.

Still, being able to select multiple games would be very handy.
nifelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 05:53 AM   #9
Oneironaut

I've seen people before suggest some sort of scheduler for downloads. After Half Life is finished installing it will automatically move to Portal, then TF2, etc. I would love something like that.
Oneironaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:48 AM   #10
Maledict21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieMan999 View Post
Does it matter? I like to start a bunch at one time and let them run overnight, they'll finish by morning. As the smaller ones finish off the bigger ones go faster and faster...
I suppose it depends on the number of games people have. Having five or six going at once isn't a big deal. But most people have more than five or six games. Someone trying to download, say, all 50 of their games in one night is going to get nowhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneironaut View Post
I've seen people before suggest some sort of scheduler for downloads. After Half Life is finished installing it will automatically move to Portal, then TF2, etc. I would love something like that.
Having a scheduler would make this idea a lot more viable in my opinion.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:54 AM   #11
wexer9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneironaut View Post
That would be cool.

As to the Crtl + Click to select multiple games, I think this is a really good idea. It wouldn't be exclusively for installing multiple games, though, you could also use it to view the forums for multiple games, etc.
wexer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:12 AM   #12
nifelan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wexer9 View Post
That would be cool.

As to the Crtl + Click to select multiple games, I think this is a really good idea. It wouldn't be exclusively for installing multiple games, though, you could also use it to view the forums for multiple games, etc.
Or to change the categories for multiple games at once. With 137 games (and possibly even more in the future) it really is not so much fun to manipulate each game on its own ^^
nifelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:00 AM   #13
protox01

i have 300 games on steam and im about to buy a new laptop and steam takes 1 week to install please make a "Install All Games" option
protox01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:16 AM   #14
MrSmit

a queue system would be way better
MrSmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:25 AM   #15
Nekomancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by protox01 View Post
i have 300 games on steam and im about to buy a new laptop and steam takes 1 week to install please make a "Install All Games" option
Why don't you just backup your steamapps folder?
Nekomancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips