Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 05-03-2010, 11:34 AM   #1
Azagthoth

Not show what you're playing?

Hey, I tried looking this up to see if this was actually posted or was able to preform but I didn't see it.

Anyways, I would actually think it would be pretty nice to have some sort of privacy on your friends list; showing that you're online, but not showing that you're playing a game.

I can completely understand for going offline and playing it, but in some cases I still want to talk to some of my friends. Others I just know who are going to join my game who I don't want to play with at the moment.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:36 PM   #2
Fantikerz

If you have a decent computer, you can always open two games. The first one is displayed to your friends as Now Playing. The second game could be something like TF2, which your friends would have no idea you were running.

If you have a game like Peggle then running the two games is a breeze and you can play in peace.

...however I, too, wish they had a feature like the one you described. It should also hide your current game from the Steam Community profile when in use.
Fantikerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 03:39 PM   #3
R~S

You can always set your profile to private.
R~S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:47 PM   #4
max2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantikerz View Post
If you have a decent computer, you can always open two games. The first one is displayed to your friends as Now Playing. The second game could be something like TF2, which your friends would have no idea you were running.

If you have a game like Peggle then running the two games is a breeze and you can play in peace.

...however I, too, wish they had a feature like the one you described. It should also hide your current game from the Steam Community profile when in use.
lol but what do you have to hide? Why do you even want to ?

If you all don't want people to see what games your playing why have any friends at all and just set your profile to private. There you go all set!
max2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:50 PM   #5
max2

Quote:
Originally Posted by R~S View Post
You can always set your profile to private.
That doesn't work 100% there a way around it. Though thank steam for that it is not a hack. It is funny seeing someone's reaction when I join a game when their profile is private even.

Just like there a way around seeing if someone is online or not playing a game even if they set their steam friends status to offline. A few games won't autologon when you join a game like CSS. I can still see if someone is online or not pretty easily even if they set their status to offline while playing. It is quite easy to do and yes it is all possible thanks to steam again.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:07 AM   #6
poohbear

man some of us have friends we play MultiPlayer games w/, but why tell everyone what games we're playing if its just Single Player? seriously i dont want friends commenting on every other game i play (i have my profile to private btw). sometimes i just wanna play in private without explaining to ppl im not interested in MP!

what's so difficult to implement here? Steam can't implement something so simple?

Last edited by poohbear: 05-03-2011 at 10:10 AM.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 02:17 PM   #7
max2

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
man some of us have friends we play MultiPlayer games w/, but why tell everyone what games we're playing if its just Single Player? seriously i dont want friends commenting on every other game i play (i have my profile to private btw). sometimes i just wanna play in private without explaining to ppl im not interested in MP!

what's so difficult to implement here? Steam can't implement something so simple?
I see what your saying and understand it fully but if they are really your friends they will understand when you tell them, if they ask for you to come and play a MultiPlayer game.

Steam was never meant to be private it is a huge gaming community. I noticed my friends will start playing a game or buy one that they see people on their friends list have or start playing. So the selective advertising does work. I had two of my friends buy Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 because I played them. Didn't even ask them.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:47 PM   #8
MiDi2

Sorry to necro this, but I think it'd be a great idea. It'd be as simple as not to send anything to steam friends and add a check box under the games settings.

I understand its a great form of advertising, but it is not like everyone is going to turn it off just because they have it.

My reasoning is as an admin of several public cs:s servers, I have a ton of pubbies on my list. Some are annoying and follow me, but I can't exactly log off incase of a hacker/troll.

It'd just be great to be anonymous at times, without being bothered by followers.
MiDi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:33 PM   #9
Maliheim

Quote:
Originally Posted by max2 View Post
lol but what do you have to hide? Why do you even want to ?

If you all don't want people to see what games your playing why have any friends at all and just set your profile to private. There you go all set!
LoL Its really not all that hard to figure out man. Sometimes people just don't want to be bothered. If people can see you playing a game then they know your online. Maybe he just wants to play his games in peace for a day or two.
Maliheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:34 PM   #10
Maliheim

Quote:
I see what your saying and understand it fully but if they are really your friends they will understand when you tell them, if they ask for you to come and play a MultiPlayer game.

Steam was never meant to be private it is a huge gaming community. I noticed my friends will start playing a game or buy one that they see people on their friends list have or start playing. So the selective advertising does work. I had two of my friends buy Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 because I played them. Didn't even ask them.
Maybe he doesn't want to have to go as far as telling them. He just wants to be left alone. Why do you keep coming here countering him with this ? There should be a setting to hide what games your playing regardless of steam being a "community"
Maliheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:01 PM   #11
RageFury

"I can't understand why anyone would want to truly appear offline, so that's a stupid feature request!"

@Steam: Please add an option to hide the fact that you're playing a game on Steam somehow. Thanks.
RageFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:18 PM   #12
drizzintahl

Quote:
That doesn't work 100% there a way around it. Though thank steam for that it is not a hack. It is funny seeing someone's reaction when I join a game when their profile is private even.

Just like there a way around seeing if someone is online or not playing a game even if they set their steam friends status to offline. A few games won't autologon when you join a game like CSS. I can still see if someone is online or not pretty easily even if they set their status to offline while playing. It is quite easy to do and yes it is all possible thanks to steam again.
Yes we all have gameservers.com and steam id sites.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:35 PM   #13
Teh_Guy

Don't add non-steam games to steam.

As for the games that are bound to steam, I have no clue
Teh_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:40 AM   #14
harryisgr8

Banned
it would be useful to have a privatise mode from certain friends in your list. I have quite a few friends who trade a lot on tf2 with me, and so they are either constantly asking for advice or offering trades. this does get annoying, but then i still want to talk to my IRL friends and my ingame friends. it does seem a popular option too
harryisgr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:18 AM   #15
Paul_cz

This really needs implementing. True invisible mode in friends as well. And also history of chat. Dammit there is so many functions still missing. Valve hire more people so that you can improve steam, dammit.
Paul_cz is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas