Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Old 05-04-2010, 09:43 AM   #1
eidius

how safe is my Credit Card on steam?

well im not sure this works but a week ago i purchased Rome TW for like 10$ and it didn't even ask me my credit card number( i had previously bough another game)is there anyway to put a code or password so whoever is in my steam account cant get my credit card number or purchase whatever he or she wants?

and on another note does Steam guarantee informations and Credit card security?

Old 05-04-2010, 09:49 AM   #2
Slayer00

You cannot set password for buying games because you already are logged in to Steam.

You can delete saved CC info thought, http://store.steampowered.com/account/
Slayer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:30 AM   #3
_Duality_

Quote:
Originally Posted by eidius View Post
well im not sure this works but a week ago i purchased Rome TW for like 10$ and it didn't even ask me my credit card number( i had previously bough another game)is there anyway to put a code or password so whoever is in my steam account cant get my credit card number or purchase whatever he or she wants?

and on another note does Steam guarantee informations and Credit card security?
Only a steam representative can give a proper answer, unfortunately they don't post too much so all we can do is hope that our CC info is stored safely and encrypted.

One thing I'd like to be added is a refresh account credentials when you select the gift option and allow the user to set an option to receive a validation email if the user hasn't made a purchase in like a month or so, but that might be too much of a hassle to implement that the easiest thing to do is simply delete your cc info from your account after each purchase.
_Duality_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:06 AM   #4
Zefar

Volunteer Moderator
I read about this earlier and Valve have quite a protection because they do want to protect the users. Like most other valid internet shopping sites.

If you want to be sure it's safe, don't save the credit card information.

It's not like they got to this place with over 25+ million Steam account without a protection.
Zefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:19 PM   #5
WelshJames

As safe as can be.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:27 PM   #6
Seth.Sekhmet

are you sure that it didn't ask you to type the 3 digit number on the back of your card ?

steam only saves redundant data, like your cc number and name on it and billing address, but you still need to authorize the purchase using the secret 3 digit (6 digit for mastercard) on the back. That number is NEVER SAVED.

Concerning cc security... it's safe as long as your pc is safe, your connection is secure, your email is not monitored... you get the drift
Seth.Sekhmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:35 PM   #7
Forsen

Im going to quote steam support on this:

Quote:
Is entering my payment information in Steam safe?

When you submit your payment information on Steam, your data is protected by Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology certified by a digital certificate.

If you have any questions about our privacy policy or the security of your information, please review our Privacy Policy:
Steam Privacy Policy

http://www.valvesoftware.com/privacy.htm
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...8360-WEJC-2625

Here is a quote from the Privacy Policy:
Quote:
Storage and Security of Information
Personally identifiable information will be processed and stored by Valve in databases hosted in the United States. Valve has taken reasonable steps to protect the information users share with us, including, but not limited to, setup of processes, equipment and software to avoid unauthorized access or disclosure of this information.

Last edited by Forsen: 05-04-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Forsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:40 PM   #8
Skaery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth.Sekhmet View Post
are you sure that it didn't ask you to type the 3 digit number on the back of your card ?

steam only saves redundant data, like your cc number and name on it and billing address, but you still need to authorize the purchase using the secret 3 digit (6 digit for mastercard) on the back. That number is NEVER SAVED.

Concerning cc security... it's safe as long as your pc is safe, your connection is secure, your email is not monitored... you get the drift
No, it saves everything. You just need to accept your purchase - no need to type anything. No password, no 3 digits.

Last edited by Skaery: 05-04-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Skaery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:57 PM   #9
Metro

As safe as any other online merchant.
Metro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:12 PM   #10
oli4579

indeed its gotta be pretty safe i wouldnt worry about it, people need to focus more on securing their pc and not getting phished/keylogged
Old 05-04-2010, 02:54 PM   #11
Silicon Vampire

Volunteer Moderator
I've been using the same CC for years on the Internet, mostly Steam purchases, and have never had a problem.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:58 PM   #12
serieus1

I'll be honest, I work in a government office and all government information is not on the internet, but on an intranet. Why I asked? Because the internet is not secure enough I was told. So I asked about credit cards and I was told that NOTHING is safe on the internet. However, there are good tips on how to be safe and secure with your own identity and credit cards. Change your passwords often, do not ever tell anyone else your passwords. Make sure to have different passwords for each of the sites you go to so that one password doesn't crack all your passwords. Also, make sure you use a internet protected credit card when buying online. I will not use my debit card that has a VISA logo online, since it's easy to access my checking account once that info is found, so I use a protected credit card. Usually it's not by hacking into a system that your credit card is hacked into, it's by you being lazy or giving away too much information to random strangers.
serieus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:41 PM   #13
DoubleD

Volunteer Moderator
Just as safe as using your credit card on any other reputable site or shop. I never had issues.

Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose..
DoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:33 PM   #14
Numnums

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippleD View Post
Just as safe as using your credit card on any other reputable site or shop. I never had issues.
almost 3 years of buying steam games and not one problem.
Numnums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:34 PM   #15
>X2<

Banned
As long as BurtonJ has enough snickers your creditcard is safe.
>X2< is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion