Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > FUEL

Old 05-05-2010, 06:41 PM   #1
Trelow

I feel like the only one that loves this game

I truly do. Reminds me of my youth. Running all over the acreage on the dirtbike, three wheeler, and jeep. Love it.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
coprophagia

Banned
I really like the free roam sandbox play style. Its like no other racing game I've played. One thing that would totally make me like it more is having an in game mp3 player, but I manage to work around it.
coprophagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:13 PM   #3
The Aughts

There was an MMO that got canned a few years back, Auto Assualt. Post-apocalypse, (nearly) always in your vehicle, very few players. It was the only MMO I've ever been interested in ever paying a monthly fee for, and it wasn't even around long enough for anyone to get enough server code to start an emulator.

So, while this isn't an vehicle based, full-fledged MMORPG, it's close enough for me to play it to death.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:16 PM   #4
Chucrute

I love the off-road gameplay...

Actually, I drive off-road most of the time, until my vehicle is covered in mud.
Chucrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
i_2_i

Banned
i'm happy with my purchase, real bargin. reminds of driving cross country... the map is huge and feels soo real, hard to explain, but it's like flashbacks to past trips out west.

Last edited by i_2_i: 05-05-2010 at 10:50 PM.
i_2_i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:28 PM   #6
BigRob154

i like it too.

but a little story would be nice and i want to try the multiplayer part
BigRob154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:35 AM   #7
Purple44

It to bad Asobo and Codemasters screwed up the online part with the stupid " one race host " then all players are drop back to free roam. Then host has to set up a new host, pick next race and hope players will rejoin his host when it back up.

There some good "Flatout" type racing to be had online, if you could keep all the players in your room while you pick the next track.
Purple44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:15 AM   #8
Dutchie56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple44 View Post
It to bad Asobo and Codemasters screwed up the online part with the stupid " one race host " then all players are drop back to free roam. Then host has to set up a new host, pick next race and hope players will rejoin his host when it back up.

There some good "Flatout" type racing to be had online, if you could keep all the players in your room while you pick the next track.
Yes it is realy a shame to restart the hosting after 3 laps, nothing u can do about it i think
Old 05-06-2010, 02:35 AM   #9
svx22

i absolutely love this game. If I have an extra 20-30 minutes before work, I like to jump into multiplayer and just roam around. Usually, I can get someone to give chase and take turns as we ride off into the sunset.

and then we go a beautiful vista and I pop the question.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:14 AM   #10
darkgriffin1986

I too love this game. I had to uninstall it to make room for playing Dirt 2, but I'll probably reinstall it later once I'm done with the Dirt 2 career races.

I just love how the game is totally open. My favorite place by far is the grand canyon area, so many fun cliffroads and vista points that the real park would never let me drive The Educator on.

Fuel may not be the killer racing game of the year, but it's certainly got a charm about it, and I loved it, from beginning to end. It's also surprising how the difficulty really ramps up, yet the game doesn't ever feel too unfair due to the sheer amount of practice you get driving all over the place in between.

Definetly one of my favorite racing games of all time.
darkgriffin1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:16 PM   #11
Sehnsucht

Thumbs up Fuel - R*

There's a whole lot of wrong I can say about this game, but there's a lot of good too. First off, I wish it had a physics engine, I don't think ultra-realistic physics would suit the game but somewhere in between pure arcade and simulation would have been neat. Secondly.. Oh wait, I don't really have any other gripes about the game. None too major anyway.

That said, I absolutely love the game world, it's groundbreakingly huge, and very varied considering. I love how they have no invisible walls on the edges of the map, and the ability for you to make up your own shortcuts in most of the races. That trick has saved my more times than I can count on one hand.

The vehicles could be more different from eachother apart from the engine sounds (which are really good, I must say) and the looks, but I'm very happy with the different kinds you can drive; ATV's, motorcycles, Monster Trucks, Buggies, etc.

A few of the game modes (different types of races) are innovative too, like the chopper chase. Always wanted to hunt down a chopper somewhere other than in Liberty City, which sucked with 500 buildings, taxi drivers and lamp posts in the way.

I bought the game for €3,50. Was it worth it? No question, I haven't had this much fun in any racer for a looong time. On a side note, I also bought Toca Race Driver 3 last weekend, waiting for the Fuel key - and I played it for less than 2 hours before I grew bored of it. 14 hours played (according to Steam) in Fuel now, and counting.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:13 PM   #12
i_2_i

Banned
i wish it has towns and cities to drive through. populated with lots of pedestrians to run overs.. like in gta

and that it had vehicles upgrades, including weapons, up that you can drive around collecting, more than just fuel like in carmageddon

and that it required you to look for fuel before you ran out of.

and that when you saved it would remember where you were, i spend an hour driving out to the middle of nowhere, i do a save, i later restart and guess what, i start back at the base station.

finally i wish it has realistic damage that one had could fix for money / fuel by going to a garage

Last edited by i_2_i: 05-06-2010 at 05:16 PM.
i_2_i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:29 AM   #13
Purple44

One trick you could use to get back to that spot you like, is to make a short custom track ( about 2 checkpoints ). If start custom race and when race is over, your at your spot.
Purple44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:46 AM   #14
Taemond

I for one love the games visual style, gritty, dirty, yet it does have a certain charm. I just love how everything is presented. Since its all unofficial racing and free-roam, it would be nice if you could modify your car eg. different engines, breaks. And maybe to be even able to build up the body how you like to get the exact look you want. Even still, its one great game where just driving around is fun.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:47 PM   #15
Suomis

I love the game. It is just so breathtaking to realize how big the map actually is!
Suomis is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > FUEL