Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Iron Grip series > Iron Grip: Warlord

Old 05-07-2010, 03:33 PM   #1
WaZzUp115

Great game! Here are my thoughts..

..from playing the demo a few hours.

It's a really fun game once you learn how to play.
I really hated the default gun and rifle you start with though, but once I tried the other weapons the game suddenly became a lot more fun.
I do think the rifle should be able to have more bullets loaded, and the gun should have a faster firing speed but less damage.

One of the most annoying things about the game though is the minimap, if I could enlarge it or zoom in I would, it's very crowded with icons and hard to read..

Another thing that I think makes the game a little less enjoyable is the fact that you can have all weapons, at least I had more than half of them and I didn't notice any limit..
It's a pain because you also have to bind each weapon to a key if you want to switch them quickly, instead of having a system with primary/secondary/side-arm/gadget.
If you could only have 2 different weapons, you'd have to co-operate more with your team and everyone could have a specific role instead of everyone having all weapons.

One last thing I think would make the game very different but also more exciting would be if we could place troops inside buildings next to windows, they would be weaker than the regular MG enplacement, but it would make the game much more strategic and fun. Buildings at the moment feel pretty under-utilized, especially considering that there are quite a few buildings and a lot of windows where you could place light MG troops and snipers.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:47 PM   #2
monique

<3
Hey there, I'm Monique, Iron Grip's community manager - and I'm really thrilled to read your feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed the demo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaZzUp115 View Post
It's a really fun game once you learn how to play.
I really hated the default gun and rifle you start with though, but once I tried the other weapons the game suddenly became a lot more fun.
I do think the rifle should be able to have more bullets loaded, and the gun should have a faster firing speed but less damage.
Haha, so true. The game is a lot more fun once you get it - we've thought about tutorial levels to help speed up the process, but it's still in development stage. The rifle really isn't the best weapon, but it's a one shot, one kill type we put in just so you didn't have to go around punching Confederates I personally save up immediately for a machine gun when I load into a match because I hate that gun so much.

Quote:
One of the most annoying things about the game though is the minimap, if I could enlarge it or zoom in I would, it's very crowded with icons and hard to read..

Another thing that I think makes the game a little less enjoyable is the fact that you can have all weapons, at least I had more than half of them and I didn't notice any limit..
It's a pain because you also have to bind each weapon to a key if you want to switch them quickly, instead of having a system with primary/secondary/side-arm/gadget.
If you could only have 2 different weapons, you'd have to co-operate more with your team and everyone could have a specific role instead of everyone having all weapons.
This is a really awesome game balance idea. I've sent it to our developer who works on the project.

Quote:
One last thing I think would make the game very different but also more exciting would be if we could place troops inside buildings next to windows, they would be weaker than the regular MG enplacement, but it would make the game much more strategic and fun. Buildings at the moment feel pretty under-utilized, especially considering that there are quite a few buildings and a lot of windows where you could place light MG troops and snipers.
Another cool idea. A "sniper" unit would be really awesome, maybe it could be a squad of men who fire from windows. This could even be a fun idea for the enemies to have :P

I really like your ideas, though. Keep 'em coming!
monique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:04 PM   #3
WaZzUp115

Quote:
Originally Posted by monique View Post
Another cool idea. A "sniper" unit would be really awesome, maybe it could be a squad of men who fire from windows. This could even be a fun idea for the enemies to have :P

I really like your ideas, though. Keep 'em coming!
Thanks, the game is great and there's a lot of potential when it comes to this kind of gameplay.
I'm thrilled that you read this and replied

Actually the thing you said about enemies having snipers sounds interesting, and what if they had small commando units that take the back way around the map and try to occupy a nearby building, perhaps create a HQ that spawns troops which players have to seek out and destroy before it becomes a problem, as I said the buildings are really interesting and have some nice layout, but at the moment there are only a few occasional enemies coming through.

When using the sniper rifle I thought that there should be more specific targets for the sniper, like slow moving and tougher units, and also enemy snipers as you mentioned which would force players to have at least one counter-sniper on their team.
WaZzUp115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:41 PM   #4
Fatdude

I played today with a griefer.He killed all the time and even if we kicked him and vote passed he either didnt leave the server and reconcted really fast.We succeded kicking him over 4 times but it seemed like he never left the game and he pretty much made the game a hell for the rest of the players.Is there any decent way to stop thoose griefers?

Weapons idea is great.Having all the weapons takes the edge out of the game.
Also sniper is really bad. HMG or Rocket also needs some balancing both of them pretty much destroys everything.
Less damage for HMG and less area of effect for the rocket would be good so ppl will actually use other weapons as well.

A upgrade with damage reduction and more melee weapons would be fun to mae a melee character.Also increasing the range of flamethrower would be really good.
Fatdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:48 PM   #5
Jimmy Damage

Loved the demo, now I'm loving the game
Hi-res stuff would be awesome.
Jimmy Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 03:44 AM   #6
Ardbug

Great suggestions Wazz
Ardbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 04:02 AM   #7
Ome_Vince

ISOTX
Hey, I'm Vincent, lead designer of Iron Grip: Warlord.
I'd like to say thanks a lot for taking the time to provide a lot of feedback and ideas.
I think you're right about the weapon limiting, and I like the idea of placing guys in buildings to snipe from there!

The reason we didn't give the AI any sniper units, was because I think players would get annoyed getting shot by something they can't see or respond to, so the RPG guys fill up that role, as you can see the rocket coming and could even dodge it.

The learning curve is definitely something we're looking at, and as for griefers, I hope that when we get some more steamworks stuff integrated, that we could utilize some server-bans or something.
Hope this helps and thanks again for the feedback guys, much appreciated
Ome_Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 04:09 AM   #8
MIK3K

Great game. I don't even like castle defense games normally but the fps aspect changes all that.

You definitely got it right with great gameplay, low system requirements, fast loading, and a really nice graphics style. Screenshots do not do this game justice.

Four thumbs up here. Need to buy a second copy for the other set of thumbs. Really looking forward to any and all additions you make to this game.

Thanks for the great price too - easily worth much more (and thanks to the posters on this board bringing attention to a game I would have otherwise overlooked).

One suggestion/criticism - When starting the game, after the initial blue box of text, it flashes in this seizure-inducing pattern from either a completely grey or black screen to the desktop many times (approximately 10 times) over the course of about 2 seconds before it finally gets to the opening "isotx" video. I have the game set to my desktop resolution of 1440 x 900.

Last edited by MIK3K: 05-08-2010 at 04:33 AM.
MIK3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 05:25 AM   #9
Cholkan

This is a great game...I agree. At first I thought you move too fast but then I got used to it. I could see some being turned off by that. My son was at first.

With updates and new maps this game could really turn into a cult classic.

Great job on it. Placing turrets and such really makes the game feel fresh

I bought the four pack to play with my kids on a lan. And I'm really enjoying it.

Haven't tried online just yet but will give it a whirl this week.

Thanks!
Cholkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:55 AM   #10
WaZzUp115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ome_Vince View Post
The reason we didn't give the AI any sniper units, was because I think players would get annoyed getting shot by something they can't see or respond to, so the RPG guys fill up that role, as you can see the rocket coming and could even dodge it.
Ah, that makes sense.

What if some units like RPG troops or HMG troops would take up defensive positions behind terrain and in buildings, instead of just charging forward?
Perhaps not all the time, but enough to keep a sniper busy with targets that everyone without a sniper has a hard time taking out.
WaZzUp115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 03:25 PM   #11
Nurosis

Great game!

Don't be too quick to listen to internet anons.

All you need to do is release map packs at a reasonable price.

Refining the game play will and should take longer.

At the moment it is incredibly fun, don't be too quick to turn it into a geeks paradise.

Keep up the good work!
Old 05-08-2010, 03:29 PM   #12
Ome_Vince

ISOTX
Quote:
Ah, that makes sense.

What if some units like RPG troops or HMG troops would take up defensive positions behind terrain and in buildings, instead of just charging forward?
Perhaps not all the time, but enough to keep a sniper busy with targets that everyone without a sniper has a hard time taking out.
Currently the AI has a random % chance that it finds one of the "camp spots" and camps there for a bit.
Though when targets move by they charge a bit, so it always looks a bit "uncoordinated"
Ome_Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:04 PM   #13
Crocodillius

I like the sound of slower moving more heavily armored units for snipers.

I also like the idea of being able to spawn snipers but you could even expand on that so that there are unit recruitment buildings that you can upgrade. Start it out as a guy with a megaphone or something, upgrade it so he's at a stall, then into a small office. With each having different % chance to spawn different units in small squads over time. Like every 2-5 seconds there's a high chance to get a little ai unit like the attackers get with another check to see which unit is spawned. Then when there's 20 they could be sent as a group towards the enemy spawn point. Or perhaps even they just hover around the guy and when a player comes within range say up to five or 10 units attach themselves to the player and follow him round as best they can. Or something.
Crocodillius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:18 AM   #14
Aeshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatdude View Post
HMG or Rocket also needs some balancing both of them pretty much destroys everything.
Less damage for HMG and less area of effect for the rocket would be good so ppl will actually use other weapons as well.
a)The HMG already has a weakness (low ammo capacity and must be deployed to use) Admittedly it becomes slightly overpowered if you're deployed next to an ammo pile (but then again what isn't?)

b)The Rocket launcher doesn't have any real AoE to begin with.I can fire the rocket at a sqaud and only one or two of them would be damaged by it and if it weren't for the fact that it's the only way to hurt vehicles from a distance I doubt anybody would use it.I'd increase the AOE and maybe make you stationary while aiming
Aeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:50 AM   #15
saberiv

I actually loved the Musket/rifle from the demo, I didn't know pressing M allowed you to buy new weapons so I thought I was pretty awesome for winning a game with musket alone.

Reload animation on it is awesome too.
saberiv is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Iron Grip series > Iron Grip: Warlord