Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Old 05-10-2010, 08:42 AM   #1
mubhcaeb78

Stopping hijacking of accounts, email verification

Hello!

Saturday morning I woke up to find two emails waiting for me.
First my secret question/answer was changed.
Second my password was changed.

It has been 3 days now, with no response to support ticket.

I wonder, why even send the email in its castrated form?
You cannot respond to the email in any way to say, no I don't accept these changes.

To tighten security, it would make sense that the email address you sign up with for your steam account would be the gateway to any changes.

Upon trying to change any serious account settings (secret q/a, username, password, email, etc) it SHOULD send an email to the email account listed before the change asking if these changes are correct, with a verification link in the email.
AND a link that reports that change for further review, IE banning the IP address that requested that change.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:44 AM   #2
Yoshiro

Tripwire Interactive
Steam support should be with you shortly. Hijacked accounts take priority (and they just got off the weekend).

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...2347-QDFN-4366 (Instructions for reclaiming your account)

You can have steam verify the email address associated with the account. You can do so under settings and then it will pretty much act as you described. However it is not forced on you. https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...5151-RUAS-1543

I would do so immediately after your account has been recovered. And you only need one support ticket open. Close one of them down. If after some time your ticket has still not been replied to you may choose to PM BurtonJ here on this forum with your ticket number and he can look into it and make sure your ticket didn't get lost in the system.

Last edited by Yoshiro: 05-10-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Yoshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:40 AM   #3
mubhcaeb78

Thanks Yoshiro,
Would it make more sense to have it on as default and in the email requests, have a link to show how to turn it off/on?

Will see how long the support ticket takes.
mubhcaeb78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:50 AM   #4
JoeTheZombieKid

Banned
There is email verification. Try looking in your settings when you get back on your account.
JoeTheZombieKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:08 AM   #5
mubhcaeb78

Yes, it is there, but how does it being an "option" prevent changes to accounts when it is not by default, on?

I did not see any "news" pop up in the last 7 years of using steam that said, new security feature, please enable or whatnot.

While my account will not be hacked again by hax^ from Karvina Czech Republic, someone else's will be.

Last edited by mubhcaeb78: 05-10-2010 at 11:32 AM. Reason: added the name/city of the guy
Old 05-10-2010, 11:09 AM   #6
Yoshiro

Tripwire Interactive
I believe it is actually asked on new account creation these days (I think), however older accounts that existed before the feature have to go find it.
Yoshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:14 AM   #7
L.o.D.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/2995/
Oct of 2009 it was announced that they added the email verification.

Even if it was set to on by default, the user still needs to verify the email account regardless.
L.o.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:28 AM   #8
mubhcaeb78

Ok that is why, thanks, f I get my friend list restored... will recommend to all.

Now to somehow change username, since setting it up got two password change attempts, that I didn't submit.

Last edited by mubhcaeb78: 05-10-2010 at 11:32 AM.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion