Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Torchlight series

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 01:00 PM   #1
darkbark916

How to Fix - "Torchlight Executable Error"

The most common problem that people CANNOT seem to fix with Torchlight is the executable error. I had this problem and could not play the game for several months, however I discovered a way to fix it, and discovered that others had accomplished the fix this way as well. I have set the fix up as its own thread, being that no one else has.

-WARNING- This will delete your character save data! You will start fresh UNLESS...
unless you remove your "Save" files, follow the steps, and reapply your "saves" to the appropriate folder after finishing.

1. Start up Torchlight, when the box pops up that tells you the AppData folder contains out of date information, or asks if you would like to update the SteamCloud information, do nothing.

2. While that box is open, navigate to the Runic Games AppData folder (User>AppData>Roaming>RunicGames) and delete it while the previously discussed box is still open.
~Note: make sure you have hidden files viewable!

3. Once you have deleted the AppData click yes, or approve, or whatever the continuation command would be and Torchlight should work fine.

~This worked for me and others, however I'm not sure WHY it works. From what I can fathom, it tries to access data and change it and corrupts the game files during that transition. For Steam users, I think it has something to do with Steam Cloud updating. Not sure, I'm not a programmer, I just really like the game and want to make sure those who paid for it get to keep playing.

~If anyone else has a better fix, feel free to post it, or information as to why this works and I will update it. Thank you everyone who helps me update this particular fix.

Happy Gaming!
-Darkbark916

Add REP if this helped you!

Last edited by BrianW: 10-10-2012 at 07:37 PM.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:04 PM   #2
Vesper

Sweet baby jesus. IT WORKED! Thanks a million. I've been struggling to get the game to run proper since I upgraded to Windows 7. Rep to you.

Also a note to others. this DOES remove all your player data and you do have to start fresh. Luckily for me I didn't have much and was planning on starting a new character anyway.

Last edited by Vesper: 05-11-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:00 PM   #3
Mathrin

Holy mother of god. It's worked. Thank you so much. I've been struggling for weeks to get this to run, been ignored on Runic forums. Thanks!

Old 05-14-2010, 09:44 AM   #4
Golic

Where is this data?! On C? Or in Steam folder? I can't find it anywhere. I don't seem to have it on Documents and Settings user folder. They aren't also on steamapps\common\torchlight folder. I just downloaded the game for 8 EUR and no matter what solution I'm trying to do it crashes at startup all the time...

Things so far that didn't help at all:

-offline userdata deletion
-SAFEMODE=1
-installing C++ and NET Framework 3.5
-re-downloading the game once again

Old 05-14-2010, 11:40 AM   #5
TiMbl4

Oh my god! IT LIVES! Thank you!

+Rep for you.

Last edited by TiMbl4: 05-14-2010 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:02 PM   #6
eXo.-

Quote:
Where is this data?! On C? Or in Steam folder? I can't find it anywhere. I don't seem to have it on Documents and Settings user folder. They aren't also on steamapps\common\torchlight folder. I just downloaded the game for 8 EUR and no matter what solution I'm trying to do it crashes at startup all the time...
I dont find it, too another Information would be great

http://www.imgimg.de/bild_1861e8705jpg.jpg.html
http://www.imgimg.de/bild_2f2fc2c1bjpg.jpg.html

HELP pls

Old 05-14-2010, 03:05 PM   #7
Vesper

first you need to enable folder options and show hidden folders. Then in your username folder find AppData\Roaming. Inside roaming will be a runic games folder. delete the full thing.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:22 PM   #8
eXo.-

On my PC it its D:\Steam and then? i could go to:
-> steamapps-common-Torchlight -> no AppData Roaming
->steamapps-my steam name -> no Roaming

I have enabeled hidden folders cant find it

//Edit: Found it! Game starts now !! Love ya Vesper ^-^

Thanks a lot

Last edited by eXo.-: 05-14-2010 at 03:27 PM.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:30 PM   #9
Golic

C:\Documents and Settings\Golic - no such folder exist

Steam folder doesn't exist

Anyone?

Old 05-14-2010, 03:42 PM   #10
Vesper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golic View Post
C:\Documents and Settings\Golic - no such folder exist

Steam folder doesn't exist

Anyone?
it's a hidden folder. In WinXP I think it's in Documents, in Win7 it's in your user folder. I'm going getting a quick video demonstration uploaded to help out.

an example of where my AppData folder is in Win7:
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...83/AppData.png

Yes my name is David. nice to meet you

Youtube demonstration.

Last edited by Vesper: 05-14-2010 at 05:17 PM. Reason: added links
Old 05-14-2010, 03:58 PM   #11
Golic

Thanks for the yt movie but it didn't help... In XP I found runic games folder and when I'm trying to delete it... Well I cannot because game is using Ogre.txt file. Besides your problem is slightly different than mine so I'm guessing that I'll be left alone.

I saw on other topics that other people are having the same problem: game starts, Torchlight icon appears, music starts to play and puff... Error about exe file appears (standard info about send or not send issue to windows).

I bought the game when they lowed it's price due to Mac Steam integration. I didn't have any other problems before when I was having demo or borrowed ISO file from a friend.

Every other game works fine, I tried dozens of ways to rid of this s..t but still nothing. I was waiting for Steam release so long and when I finally got it...

Ehhh got any ideas Dave what might that be?

Last edited by Golic: 05-14-2010 at 04:08 PM. Reason: small update that migt lead to solution...

Old 05-14-2010, 04:07 PM   #12
Golic

Well the demo runs without any problems... I downloaded the demo for other old user and well it had no problems with it... What might that be?

Old 05-14-2010, 04:14 PM   #13
Vesper

I'll try putting it on my laptop which runs XP and see what I can find. but your issue does seem a little different.

@Golic - I put it on my laptop but I can't duplicate the error. have you tried verifying the game cache or re-installing?

Last edited by Vesper: 05-15-2010 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:43 AM   #14
Crossbit

I notice there hasn't been anything mentioned here in a while, but I just have one thing to note;

You don't have to lose your character data.

I hadn't played Torchlight in a while, couldn't get it to start, then found out about this issue. And, not wanting to lose my save files, decided to try backing up the "save" folder (and the "backupsave" one, just incase) stored in the runic games AppData folder.

After following the suggested steps, I closed Torchlight and copied the saves back into the newly recreated AppData folder, then started Torchlight up again... and the game loaded, much to my relief, with my hard-earned characters available to use once again.

Basically, whatever's gone wrong in the AppData folder to cause this problem, it doesn't affect saved character data.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:24 PM   #15
Karithina

Thank you VERY much for this, and and a thanks also to Crossbit for that last bit about not losing your saves, it gave me a little bit more hope for a while.

Unfortunately, my problem seemed to be something in my 'save' folder because it continued to crash when I replaced the backed up save folder after closing the game.

But at least I can play again, that's the main thing =)

Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Torchlight series