Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Max Payne series > Max Payne 1 and 2

Old 05-11-2010, 09:40 AM   #1
Liamaj

Just Add Water
Now that was a bit lazy of you rockstar

Not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere, or if there is another reason for it, but it seem rockstar used a cracked version of Max Payne 2 for steam retail. Check out this picture:

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/8942/maxpayne2.jpg

As you can see there's an ASCII "Myth" logo, which is an old cracking team that were quite prevelent a while back. Seems Rockstar got a little lazy and used this crack instead of recompilling their executable without DRM.

Note: The logo is much easier to see if you back away from it or just zoom out using by holding the ctrl key and spinning your mouse wheel.

Update: They've stealth patched out the logo in the executable, which is a shame. But if anyone of you want to see the logo first hand, just open the testapp.exe, it's in there too, and they forgot to update that, check out the pic:

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/1107/capture2qg.jpg

EDIT: Wow, 86,000 views, you guys broke my dropbox :O

Last edited by Liamaj: 05-13-2010 at 03:11 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:47 AM   #2
DarkjeThe2nd

haha good find! suppose they used it for the no-cd function, tying it to steam using some other means...
DarkjeThe2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:53 AM   #3
Antti FINFL

Rockstar really has to do something about this.
Antti FINFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:21 AM   #4
smeghammer

Nah, they don't have to do anything, tbh it's awesomely ironic that they've "stolen" some of myth's code don'tcha think? What are Myth gonna do? Sue em? LOL
smeghammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:25 AM   #5
Antti FINFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeghammer View Post
Nah, they don't have to do anything, tbh it's awesomely ironic that they've "stolen" some of myth's code don'tcha think? What are Myth gonna do? Sue em? LOL
That is just what I was thinking... Not! lol...
Antti FINFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:14 AM   #6
daegranos

This is huge irony and shows how corporations are the most hypocritical entities on existence, company that defends copyrights to death "steals" code from pirates
Old 05-12-2010, 04:25 AM   #7
Krid

R*, you ****ing morons.
Not only are you stabbing yourselves in the face with hypocrisy, but you dragged Steam into your criminal actions as well!

Fix this!
Krid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:54 AM   #8
Jito463

Keep in mind, that it might have just been some lazy coder, who didn't want to do his job, so he released this instead. I highly doubt the company would condone this. It's similar to the Vegas 2 fiasco with Ubisoft. I don't think for one moment that Ubisoft condoned the release of that crack, but some lazy (likely unemployed) slob in the company did it on their own.

These are multi-million dollar companies. They're not going to risk their reputation, just to save a little time and money on re-compiling a single executable. If it's pointed out to Rockstar, we'll likely see it corrected.
Jito463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:30 AM   #9
Krid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jito463 View Post
These are multi-million dollar companies. They're not going to risk their reputation, just to save a little time and money on re-compiling a single executable.
*SNRK*
Yea, sure, just keep telling yourself that. The only way this will be fixed is if it makes headlines on Kotaku or similar.
Krid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:52 AM   #10
Caelx

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeghammer View Post
Not likely since Myth doesn't exist anymore
Caelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:00 AM   #11
DJ_Professor_K

Ohh god, why did they have to do it? If it wasn't enough Ubisoft do this, now Rockstar copies it? *sigh*

Hek.. don't tell me it's the same moron who did it on ubisoft is now working at rockstar?
DJ_Professor_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:18 AM   #12
spyrochaete

Lulz.. even an FBI raid half a decade ago can't stop the mighty Myth! Can it be argued that pirated software is vastly superior to the legal alternatives when the developers themselves give this endorsement?
spyrochaete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:45 AM   #13
DJ_Professor_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyrochaete View Post
Lulz.. even an FBI raid half a decade ago can't stop the mighty Myth! Can it be argued that pirated software is vastly superior to the legal alternatives when the developers themselves give this endorsement?
I think this is just saying that crackers are needed by devs to "fix" their games in future years, whey they decide to re-release them in other plataforms (namelly digital ones like D2D and steam).
DJ_Professor_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:52 AM   #14
Kaerar

I find it quite amusing that Ubisoft are so draconian with DRM after the fiasco with Vegas 2. Even more amusing that R* are doing the same thing

Hypocrisy rules supreme
Old 05-12-2010, 08:14 AM   #15
Chronomorte

Hopefully it will become apparent to the big companies that DRM punishes mostly the legitimate purchaser and has little or at most an inconvenience effect upon those who wouldn't be purchasing it anyway.

I ran into a Demo from the Steam store that wouldn't play because I had accessed 'Process Explorer'. Needless to say I didn't even play that Demo, much less purchase the software. And no, I didn't go find a cracked version, I'd rather just avoid the whole program no matter how awesome, if the legitimate version is insultingly protected.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Max Payne series > Max Payne 1 and 2