Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > ARMA series

Old 05-12-2010, 04:01 PM   #1
nwtarr

Lightbulb ArmA II for Mac

So, Steam for Mac is out.

Now we (biggest computer army of mac users and arma fans) want a arma2 client for mac.

Do you plan release?

Old 05-12-2010, 05:06 PM   #2
kamm

Ummm... biggest army of what...?

And I don't see what Steam's Mac support has to do with ArmA, developed by Bohemia...
kamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:07 PM   #3
snopKJ

i dont think arma would run on any mac
Old 05-12-2010, 05:13 PM   #4
kamm

Of course it wouldn't, it's a DX9 engine - unless, of course, either CodeWeavers or Transgaming will make it work.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:27 AM   #5
snopKJ

no i meant i dont think any mac is quite powerful enough
Old 05-13-2010, 05:02 AM   #6
slikbaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopKJ View Post
Erm, yeah there are macs more than powerful enough to play arma 2 specs-wise...
slikbaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:02 AM   #7
nwtarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopKJ View Post
Nope. Mac Pro can run it on maximum settings, iMac's and MacBook Pro's just can run it. But, for that you need to buy a windows, install it, and reboot to win every time you want to play in game... And windows license price is not small for that.

Now, i try to play ArmA II Demo via emulation on my 21'5 iMac with ATi 4670 HD with 256MB VRAM.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:01 AM   #8
gossamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwtarr View Post
Nope. Mac Pro can run it on maximum settings, iMac's and MacBook Pro's just can run it. But, for that you need to buy a windows, install it, and reboot to win every time you want to play in game... And windows license price is not small for that.

Now, i try to play ArmA II Demo via emulation on my 21'5 iMac with ATi 4670 HD with 256MB VRAM.
LOL you think that's going to max it? The 4670 is a low end video card, you failed to list the processor and the ram as well.

This game will never be ported to MAC because BIS has some self-respect and it's written with DirectX 9, not OpenGL.
gossamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:17 AM   #9
slikbaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer View Post
LOL you think that's going to max it? The 4670 is a low end video card, you failed to list the processor and the ram as well.

This game will never be ported to MAC because BIS has some self-respect and it's written with DirectX 9, not OpenGL.
He never said he could max it. He says the Mac Pro can max it and the iMac can just run it, which is what he has. Maybe read properly?
slikbaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:20 AM   #10
KiloOscarTango

If you want to play it so badly just dual boot with Windows, or one of the free OS's if you are cheap. Mac is just a operating system and look, the components are the same components used in PCs (from three years ago).
KiloOscarTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:21 AM   #11
RaranTroff

A decent MacBook pro will rock this game. Back when I had bootcamp and xp on my MacBook pro it would rock out any game I threw at it faster than half of my friends desktop windows rigs. Given the fact that osx is way more efficient than windows in every way, I can see native osx coded ArmA 2 looking spectacular and getting really nice fps to boot.

Don't get me wrong I love my vista 64 gaming rig but don't sell a mac short. A mac can do more with less hardware than any computer out there right now. The only other rig that even touched the tech/abilities ratio was a commodore 64 back in the day. It all has to do with bullet proof design.
RaranTroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:22 AM   #12
WV2MJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaranTroff View Post
...Don't get me wrong I love my vista 64 gaming...
My friend, you need to upgrade to Windows 7 64-bit. You will get a better increase in performance with Windows 7 64-bit than Windows Vista 64-bit
WV2MJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:35 AM   #13
gossamer

Quote:
A decent MacBook pro will rock this game. Back when I had bootcamp and xp on my MacBook pro it would rock out any game I threw at it faster than half of my friends desktop windows rigs. Given the fact that osx is way more efficient than windows in every way, I can see native osx coded ArmA 2 looking spectacular and getting really nice fps to boot.

Don't get me wrong I love my vista 64 gaming rig but don't sell a mac short. A mac can do more with less hardware than any computer out there right now. The only other rig that even touched the tech/abilities ratio was a commodore 64 back in the day. It all has to do with bullet proof design.
this guy is a comedian. I've never seen so much mac Hammer Legion Memberism before.

OS X is not WAY MORE efficient than windows. It runs better because there's no good applications to run on OS X so people just run a vanilla OS. On windows we can customize our stuff and have lot of fun applications to use that can cause performance decreases.

Lol bullet proof design of a mac. That's funny
gossamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:45 PM   #14
kamm

Quote:

God, you don't know jack about the subject, why are you thinking out loud...?
Old 05-14-2010, 10:51 AM   #15
SaLaDiN

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwtarr View Post
So, Steam for Mac is out.

Now we (biggest computer army of mac users and arma fans) want a arma2 client for mac.

Do you plan release?
Try this http://store.steampowered.com/sub/4326/
SaLaDiN is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > ARMA series