Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal

Old 05-13-2010, 07:30 AM   #1
Harvos

Signal not compatible with this input

Yea, saw you can get Portal for free, downloaded it, hit play, and i can hear it starting, can here it go past the valve logo with it's music, but all my monitor keeps saying is Signal not compatible with this input. The game itself doesn't crash, tried that -novid and -autoconfig and it still comes up with that signal not compatible bit. And if i remember correctly the only times i've ever seen that particular message from my monitor is if it's not 1360X768 or 1024X768, but how do i get the game to change from whatever it's been set to if i can't even see the options for it? and yea, just to see if it'd work i tried changing the monitor to 1024X768 didn't work. Help please. Also my monitor is a Sharp TV/monitor

Old 05-13-2010, 07:54 AM   #2
BrandonSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvos View Post
Yea, saw you can get Portal for free, downloaded it, hit play, and i can hear it starting, can here it go past the valve logo with it's music, but all my monitor keeps saying is Signal not compatible with this input. The game itself doesn't crash, tried that -novid and -autoconfig and it still comes up with that signal not compatible bit. And if i remember correctly the only times i've ever seen that particular message from my monitor is if it's not 1360X768 or 1024X768, but how do i get the game to change from whatever it's been set to if i can't even see the options for it? and yea, just to see if it'd work i tried changing the monitor to 1024X768 didn't work. Help please. Also my monitor is a Sharp TV/monitor
Try adding -w <width> and -h <height> to the launch options, changing <width> and <height> to a resolution width and height that you know works on your monitor.
BrandonSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:58 AM   #3
gorpie

I'm not sure, but you may need to set the width/height launch options to match the settings of your monitor (so, 1024x768). Once you get it running, I think you can play with different resolution settings in the game options.
gorpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:58 AM   #4
Harvos

Thanks works now.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:59 AM   #5
Harvos

Also from what i see, it only has two other options neither that will work, and the -w and -h i put in it says native, but at least it's working now so again thanks for the help.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal