Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Steam

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 05-13-2010, 09:36 AM   #1
lychee92

Banned
PowerPc

is there any possible way to install steam on a powerpc???
Old 05-13-2010, 09:37 AM   #2
jarunasax

as it stands the release was for intel based macs.
jarunasax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:38 AM   #3
jpolster2009

Uh, If you still have a power PC as your main computer, it was time to upgrade A LOOOONG time ago. PowerPC is dead.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:46 AM   #4
Jourdy288

No. Not unless you port it, and I doubt it would be very useful without games compiled for PPC. The games on Steam are X86, I think. That's why you need an Intel Mac.
Jourdy288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:49 AM   #5
Immanuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpolster2009 View Post
Uh, If you still have a power PC as your main computer, it was time to upgrade A LOOOONG time ago. PowerPC is dead.
Uh, no. Apple was still making and selling PowerPC machines in 2006. Many PowerPC Macs are only 4 years old.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:57 AM   #6
jimbofluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jourdy288 View Post
No. Not unless you port it, and I doubt it would be very useful without games compiled for PPC. The games on Steam are X86, I think. That's why you need an Intel Mac.
Maybe, maybe not. I wonder if any universal binaries snuck onto the store that will be wasting bandwidth from here on out.
jimbofluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:58 AM   #7
tad604

Quote:
Oddly all 3 modern consoles are using a PowerPC or variation thereof.

So it's not quite dead.
tad604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:01 AM   #8
jpolster2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
Uh, no. Apple was still making and selling PowerPC machines in 2006. Many PowerPC Macs are only 4 years old.
Only 4 years old? Dude a computer is outdated after 6 months these days. PowerPC G5 Towers are OUT DATED JUNK. A 4 year old computer wouldnt be worth more than $60 at the MOST, at least to me. My Hackintosh Config is as follows:

Intel Q6600
8GB RAM
4 1TB HDs in RAID 0
GeForce 9800 GTX
Blu Ray Burner
DVD Burner
700 W PSU

And now im ready to junk it for an i7.. learn to stay UPDATED
Old 05-13-2010, 10:08 AM   #9
jimbofluffy

Quote:
Only 4 years old? Dude a computer is outdated after 6 months these days. PowerPC G5 Towers are OUT DATED JUNK. A 4 year old computer wouldnt be worth more than $60 at the MOST, at least to me. My Hackintosh Config is as follows:

Intel Q6600
8GB RAM
4 1TB HDs in RAID 0
GeForce 9800 GTX
Blu Ray Burner
DVD Burner
700 W PSU

And now im ready to junk it for an i7.. learn to stay UPDATED
Just checked ebay, some dual processor G5s are going for excess of $750. I still use my 2006 2.0ghz core duo Macbook. I have a lot older computers than the Macbook that I still use. If it still gets the job done, why replace it?
jimbofluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:18 AM   #10
jpolster2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbofluffy View Post
Just checked ebay, some dual processor G5s are going for excess of $750. I still use my 2006 2.0ghz core duo Macbook. I have a lot older computers than the Macbook that I still use. If it still gets the job done, why replace it?
The only reason those G5s are so high is because people are stupid enough to pay it. Im not. I have a keep up with technology personaltiy. The day the iPhone 4 comes out, I'm trashing my 3GS and getting the new one. I cant stand people who try to upgrade an existing computer vs build or buy a completely new one. ing cheapass
Old 05-13-2010, 10:40 AM   #11
Jourdy288

Smile

Quote:
The only reason those G5s are so high is because people are stupid enough to pay it. Im not. I have a keep up with technology personaltiy. The day the iPhone 4 comes out, I'm trashing my 3GS and getting the new one. I cant stand people who try to upgrade an existing computer vs build or buy a completely new one. ing cheapass
Wait, you're just tossing the 3GS? I'd pay for shipping, if you're willing to send it my direction...
Jourdy288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:03 PM   #12
damicatz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tad604 View Post
Oddly all 3 modern consoles are using a PowerPC or variation thereof.

So it's not quite dead.
Sadly it's not, even though it should.

The PowerPC is a notoriously inefficient chip that runs extremely hot. Apple abandoned the PowerPC because it drinks power like Count Dracula drinks blood and produces enough heat to fry eggs. Apple was never able to make a G5 laptop because of the G5's TDP. You'll notice that both the XBox 360 and the Playstation 3 have had major issues with cooling and too much heat being generated causing hardware failure. The Wii's saving grace is that its PowerPC is clocked so low (729mhz) as to not produce a significant amount of heat.

As for porting Steam/Source to PowerPC, that's considerably more difficult than porting it to an Intel Mac. For one, PowerPC chips are big-endian (they store data with the most significant bit coming first e.g DCBA) as opposed to little-endian (where the least significant bit comes first, e.g ABCD). Having to deal with endianness issues complicates matters when you are dealing with binary files (for example, save games, being binary files, would not be compatible between big endian and little endian computers without some kind of conversion subroutine).

In addition, a lot of game engines are going to have a fair amount of code written in assembler; the processor's lowest level programming language. Assembler is different between processor architectures and when a programmer uses assembler, it's normally because they are trying to optimize code by hand and simply rewriting the assembler code without reoptimising it for the new processor architecture defeats the purpose.
damicatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:24 PM   #13
Klingon00

A reason the G5 towers may be worth so much, is that there is probably $200 worth of aluminum and precious metals in there. If you've got a dead one, you might try to sell it for scrap rather than recycle through a drop off place for nothing.
Klingon00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:33 PM   #14
Ripp Steakface

I love my last-gen 17" PowerBook G4, I got it about a month or two before the Intel laptops came out. I chose the PowerBook because I don't particularly like being an early adopter of new tech, and the new ones at the time didn't have FireWire 800. I still use the laptop regularly, it's my main iTunes hub and it's where I keep most of my files (backed up an an external as well). I may not be able to play modern games on it (I have this 2 year old Intel iMac for that, as my PC died), but I still love that old laptop.
Ripp Steakface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:46 PM   #15
xthexder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
Hah, I find that almost funny because my Intel macbook is 5 years old

It would require a complete re-code of all of steam and the games in order to support PPC macs. The platform behind it is completely different. There is a reason why there is not bootcamp or VMWare for PowerPC.

If you have a PPC, then your out of luck.
xthexder is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Steam