Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 05-14-2010, 09:42 AM   #1
Meremoth

Banned
NVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet Tweaks?

Just wondering if anything in the advanced options of the NVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet can be tweaked for gaming?

Options listed under the Advanced tab:
  • Device sleep on disconnect
  • Flow Control
  • Interrupt Moderation
  • Low Power Idle Mode
  • Low Power State Link Speed
  • Network Address
  • Priority & VLAN
  • Reset PHY If Not In Use
  • Speed/duplex settings
  • VLAN Id
  • Wake on Magic Packet
  • Wake on pattern match
  • WakeOnLAN From PowerOff

I greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:02 AM   #2
TheMG

Volunteer Moderator
No, not really. Even if there was, it would only be microseconds (<1ms) worth.
TheMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:29 AM   #3
Meremoth

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMG View Post
No, not really. Even if there was, it would only be microseconds (<1ms) worth.
Ok, thanks.
Meremoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:17 PM   #4
CodeCore

Question Other settings

Hi,
Have you tweaked your TCP stack yet? I have a tool for it, some think you can only get what you get out of your connection, but they are wrong, most dont even know the high speed connection they have at home is not fully used because the default window packet size is small.

Let me know
~CC
Old 05-14-2010, 02:11 PM   #5
TheMG

Volunteer Moderator
That can improve download speeds sometimes.

However just to make it clear, since online games use UDP rather than TCP, it will not improve online gaming performance.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:25 PM   #6
CodeCore

Question UDP for Steam only?

Not sure what those games would be, dont see how transport can only work with UDP, how UDP could work if the TCP stack was not there is beyond my technical knowledge then.

Enabled steamTCP TCP 27000~27015 TCP 27000~27015
Enabled bbc2 TCP 3681~3691 TCP 3681~3691

While playing "online" my 8 wan 8 lan port router shows more TCP than UDP between WAN's 1 thru 3 to my LAN's gaming machine while connected.

I made sure and opened both TCP and UDP but again, see more TCP with BBC2 than UDP.

On my website you can see where I compare connection rates with and without a TCP adjustment, and it's tiwce for me.

UDP
Enabled steamUDP UDP 27020~27039 UDP 27020~27039
Enabled steamFRIEN UDP 1200~1200 UDP 1200~1200

So, STEAM uses more UDP than TCP, or the Stand-alone?

Now I am really confused.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:28 PM   #7
Meremoth

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeCore View Post
Hi,
Have you tweaked your TCP stack yet? I have a tool for it, some think you can only get what you get out of your connection, but they are wrong, most dont even know the high speed connection they have at home is not fully used because the default window packet size is small.

Let me know
~CC
No, I sure haven't. I'm interested though, if it works, even if it doesn't make gaming quicker, increased downloads speeds can't be a bad thing, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeCore View Post
Not sure what those games would be, dont see how transport can only work with UDP, how UDP could work if the TCP stack was not there is beyond my technical knowledge then.

Enabled steamTCP TCP 27000~27015 TCP 27000~27015
Enabled bbc2 TCP 3681~3691 TCP 3681~3691

While playing "online" my 8 wan 8 lan port router shows more TCP than UDP between WAN's 1 thru 3 to my LAN's gaming machine while connected.

I made sure and opened both TCP and UDP but again, see more TCP with BBC2 than UDP.

On my website you can see where I compare connection rates with and without a TCP adjustment, and it's tiwce for me.

UDP
Enabled steamUDP UDP 27020~27039 UDP 27020~27039
Enabled steamFRIEN UDP 1200~1200 UDP 1200~1200

So, STEAM uses more UDP than TCP, or the Stand-alone?

Now I am really confused.
How do I go about doing this?

Thanks for the help, by the way.

Last edited by rotNdude: 05-14-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Meremoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:56 PM   #8
CodeCore

Post update

I sent the information to you, let me know how it goes.

I will do more testing tonight, but my numbers look much better when it comes to some of these really far out servers in BBC2. Even ones I couldnt stay connected to for long, are now solid, but thats just for me! Not saying it will work for everyone.

I went ahead and allowed all UDP as well to all the WAN ports just to see if it makes a difference.

For those interested, google him or see link, has the tool download as well.

Dr TCP

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/578
Old 05-14-2010, 03:12 PM   #9
Pilotclan9404

Send me more info please?
Pilotclan9404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:20 PM   #10
CodeCore

Arrow More info

The link in my last post is best.

Dr TCP
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/578
Old 05-14-2010, 03:24 PM   #11
TheMG

Volunteer Moderator
I guess some online games may use TCP, but most games use UDP. Valve/Source games use UDP for communication between clients and game servers for sure.

The packets are just sent out and received, UDP is a connectionless protocol.

The main reason why UDP is used for most games is that packets will normally be received in-order and with minimal delay. With TCP, packets may arrive out of order, or may be delayed if a packet has to be retransmitted, and this is generally a bad thing for real-time data in an online game. UDP doesn't retransmit dropped or corrupted packets, and there is no handshaking (SYN/ACK), making it faster and ensures packets are received in order.

The fact that UDP is connectionless is also the cause of many router-related problems with online games, since some router's NAT implementation doesn't correctly handle UDP, especially with multiple clients using the same port and connection to the same server.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:58 PM   #12
CodeCore

You just solved my issue!

Thank you TheMG, you just solved my other issue. Yes, I am familiar with UDP, I did not know all these new games use it.

I have 5 CIDR/24's and I was telling it, anything back from those ports that are UDP, do not deny them or I would be dropped (figured out that one the hard way) so I told it to just send all UDP's back to a class C of ip's where nothing exists really but a gateway, send them to outter space, send the others back to the LAN I do use. So I couldnt be dropped but I noticed a ton of things, like a players ping, some other stats, etc were missing. Too much to list of what was not looking normal.

Now that I allow all UDP's (for BBC2) on all WAN's to LAN's everything is normal. Weird though, this is not an average home router and BBC2 did work without allowing UDP. I think the UDP's were making it because I didnt stop them on the DSL lines, just the two cable modems. Still confused as all the ISP's are obviously different IP's and separate logical networks and I have to allow UDP for the VOIP system, but again only over the 3rd and 4th WAN ports

I should have read the manual

"UDP provides no guarantees to the upper layer protocol for message delivery and the UDP protocol layer retains no state of UDP messages once sent. For this reason, UDP is sometimes referred to as Unreliable Datagram Protocol."

Anyhoo, sure made my day
Thanks again

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems