Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Mount & Blade series

Old 05-14-2010, 08:15 PM   #1
Shicken684

Making money?

I see loads of post of people on here that play on normal difficulty. They get their armies wiped out, then just build them back up.

Last few times I have lost my armies I was in a horrible position.

I just don't see how people are building up hundreds of thousands in DN...

I have a trade town, 2 castles, and 5 villages. My army or garrisons are not very big at all. I can never seem to break 20k. Even when I played on the easiest settings.

Do I just suck, or am I missing something? Yes I loot enemy villages, as much as possible.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:18 PM   #2
Aelok

20k is a good bit of pocket change, how is that not enough for you? I never really have that much money with me at a time, I think the highest I had at a single time was 40k and that was only once. I keep spending my money on books, buying better armor for my allies, myself, etc.

A trade town, 2 castles, and 5 villages should be enough to mitigate the monthly fee to a nominal fee, especially since you say your garrison is low, why do you need so much cash?

Anyways, if you need money heres what I do (aside from slaving faction troops or sea raiders). Travel to Tulga, buy all the salt there for less than 200, then buy all the spice for less than 700. You can then travel to Ichamur to the north and sell most/all of the salt for more than 200 each usually. Most of the time you can't get a great price of the spice here, but the nearby towns commonly buy spice for 750-820 at a time. This is all with 3-4 trade skill so a real trader will likely have better numbers.
The restock time at Tulga seems pretty quick, so this is a viable option most of the time.

You could also check tavern bartenders for any work. Ignore them all except "X lord at Y town wants you to clear out Z bandit camp near them". These missions are pretty easy for any decently equipped hero and his companions and nets you 3,000 denars and 1,500 xp... or was it 3,000 xp and 1,500 denars? I forget, but this is great for leveling your companions. Having a good spotting skill makes these missions so much easier, as you can keep an eye on the bandits when their activity is "traveling" (This means they're going to the hideout) without having to be so close that you make them run from you. If they're running, they aren't heading to the hideout anymore, so you need to be able to see them without them seeing you.
Aelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:34 PM   #3
Shicken684

Well, when I said 20k that was the most I ever had. Then I get my kicked, and lose my army, and some of my weapons/armor. By the time I get back up to par I am down to 5k at best.

This post is for the people saying the pushing 100k+. Just wondering how they do it.
Shicken684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:50 PM   #4
Asphe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shicken684 View Post
I see loads of post of people on here that play on normal difficulty. They get their armies wiped out, then just build them back up.

Last few times I have lost my armies I was in a horrible position.

I just don't see how people are building up hundreds of thousands in DN...

I have a trade town, 2 castles, and 5 villages. My army or garrisons are not very big at all. I can never seem to break 20k. Even when I played on the easiest settings.

Do I just suck, or am I missing something? Yes I loot enemy villages, as much as possible.
Relying solely on Rent or Rent-Seeking is not that good idea. You need to trade in goods or prisoners to prosper.

Two ways to get richer, raise revenue or cut expenses.

Let's look at your EXPENSES?

Garrisons
Campaign Army
Improvements
Shopping

Garrisons:
a) deter the enemy AI from attacking and/or last long enough to be rescued
b) manpower pool

Recruit .. recruits. The AI gives more weight to number than quality. So not only are 1000 Swadian Recruits more of a deterrent than 100 Swadian Knights but Recruits only cost 1 denar/week, or 1/48th that of the Swadian Knight. You might want to upgrade the Recruits one or two tiers up if you anticipate needing them. Remember that you're playing against the AI, not a human player.

Don't forget that you may need troops from more than one faction. I find that a garrison of 700+ recruits will deter anything but a faction's main army (early in the game, this can be 1200-2000 strong).

During peacetime, I have garrisons of 100-200 recruits at most. When the faction notes indicate a possibility of war, then I build the garrisons up.

Note that if you are the Sovereign, you can garrison troops in other places.. for free. So become a Queen and garrison your campaign army in your husband's fiefs for free. I like to train up knights and sharpshooters and just park them at my hubby's castles.

Campaign Army
Knights, Knights, Knights. They move fast on the Strategic Map, last longer and are useful both in field actions as well as set piece battles in events or fiefs. Thing is, they cost a lot so when you can, demobilize and just get rid of them during peacetime. But before a war, build up a warchest that is large enough so that you can endure a negative cash flow for the duration. 100k is usually more than enough (about 20-30 weeks worth, depending on the size of the army).

Improvements
Messenger Posts/Watch Towers allow you to respond to raids in time. Schools raise loyalty, giving you better recruiting. Stuff like this costs a bit but pays better if you start on this early.

Shopping
A single piece of Lordly Plate Armor is enough to pay for a large campaign army. Just get the normal gear. Weapons are relatively cheap however. Think of them this way, you always use a weapon, you only 'use' armor when you get hit so you should invest more in weapons than in armor. YMMV though depending on your play style. Consider that Hardened Sarranid Leg Armor gives you 33 Armor, Lordly Plate Greaves is only 6 better, weights 3.5 times more and cost a great deal more besides.

REVENUE

Taxes
Try to keep your fiefs close together AND try to get towns instead of villages. Villages give better revenue than castles too. You do need a place to have a garrison/rest-stop so at least one town. Dhirim is a great town to have although everyone will want it too (AI picks targets partially based on prosperity) Your setup looks pretty good already, especially if they are all close together but I would have turned down the castles. Print out the strategic map so you will know when to turn down stuff in the future.

Trade
You can check towns for what turns a profit OR capture prisoners for sale. The more reliable are Sea Raiders near Rivacheg, even more so if you do NOT destroy their 'hideout' or landing. They will respawn every 36 hours.
Asphe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:45 AM   #5
Mormacil

I currently got 130K with 2 villages and 2 castles. How I got it? Mostly I raided a few towns in enemy territory and I got a high looting and trading skill. I also peddle goods, Curaw tends to make cheap iron, sell it in the other Vaegir cities for decent proofit fast.
Mormacil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:46 AM   #6
Xaechireon

Well I haven't really gotten past 25k as I keep spending money, but I'm doing pretty fine with a mixture of raiding villages, trading between factions, and winning tournaments.

I only have the original though, so things might be different.
Xaechireon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 01:49 PM   #7
Asphe

Warband's latest patch added variable prices for selling prisoners, so if you got turned off by the measly 50denars per Huscarl, you can now get 200+.
Asphe is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Mount & Blade series