Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Steam

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 05-15-2010, 04:22 AM   #1
Ntt4

[Mac] Frequently Asked Questions + Games List

Steam for Mac
The community driven FAQ

Last Review/Update - 9th Apr 2012
Next Review Date - Please see here...

Some users seem to be having problems with Steam updating. The file in this post should sort this out.

Notes & Newb Info

Never run commands in the terminal that start with or include "sudo" "curl" "dd" "chown" and/or "rm" without the user explaining why. These commands can harm your mac if you do not know what you are doing.

Sometimes it helps just to use your common sense

Requesting help...

Now look. I like helping people on this forum. But it's quite hard when users make a post and put... "Steam won't work. Blah blah blah. HELP!"
Help helpers by giving some general info when making a [Help] post. How about telling us your :
  1. OSX Version
  2. Your Graphics Card
  3. Your Mac model
  4. and
  5. Your problem
Steam FAQ

Minimum Requirements
  • Mac OS 10.5.8 or 10.6.3+
  • A Mac with an intel Processor - PPC is not supported
  • Two-button mouse strongly recommended!!!!!!
General

Steam seems buggy, What can I try to fix it?
The good ol' quick solution is to try removing your .blob files, as noted here. Doing so will re-download all the configuration files for Steam.

I want to see XXX feature implemented into Steam/Source game...
Check this thread here and post your ideas in that thread.

I can't run Steam because of a file-system error.
Steam won't run on a case - sensitive file system. This is not a bug and also has a Steam Support article. Here.
There is a way of doing this over in this thread here, However it is for Power Users only!

Steam always starts on logon; how do I stop this?
Alt-Click the Steam Dock Icon and uncheck "Open At Login" under "Options"

Errors

I keep getting "failed with error: (MultiFieldBlob(pSerialized)" when starting Steam... What should I do...
Delete /Users/YOU/Library/Application Support/Steam/ClientRegistry.blob - Thanks go to Mangr0v3 for this tip!

Games

Do Windows and Mac share the same Steam cloud?
Yes, They do. But it is up to developers to enable cross-platform game saves. For example, Source games use cross platform saves, Whilst Torchlight does not.

Can I drag my CrossOver/Bootcamp/Other Windows files (GCF.'s) into my Steam Content folder on the Mac, so I don't have to download the whole game again?
It appears as though you can, Although Steam (On your mac) will update the Game Cache Files to include the mac binaries, but it does save you from re-downloading the whole game again For better instructions... see here.

I can't restore my game backups!
Again, This a known issue. The solution to which can be viewed here.

Why are all my games in my Documents folder?
They shouldn't be anymore
Valve have managed to move the content to your Application Support folder. When you uninstall Steam, It will also ask you if you wish to remove your Content.

Networking

I keep getting "Servers are too busy" when trying to download games/content...
This happens when the server you are trying to connect to is full. Go into your Steam preferences (Cmd+,) and then to "Downloads" and change your location and download speed.

I keep getting "Servers are too busy" even after trying the above...
It seems as though some Game Caches don't download or verify correctly. You need to remove the game cache in question and re-download it. To do this click on this word here... Here! - Thanks Steam Community for this one.

Steam won't connect?
Verify you have the necessary ports opened as mentioned in this Steam Support Article. Also, Some torrent programs block Steam from connecting to Valve. These include Peer Guardian, Transmission (With Blocked IP Range). Tip off can be seen here.

Steam won't load without an internet connection... It won't load offline mode either...
Yeah, Strange bug, I know. It appears that "Virtual Adapters" can play havoc with Steam. Brvno.sk has a solution here that should help.

My download speed is poor or non-existant
Seems to be a strange bug where Steam won't download items due to incorrect network settings. Load up Steam, Press Cmd+, to open your preferences. Click on "Downloads" and make sure that your internet connection and download location are set correctly.

Updating

Steam needs to be online to update...
This is a rare bug, but easily fixed. First, Make sure you are online
Download Steam from this post. It is always the most up-to date compiled version. You may need The Unarchiver to open it.
The above download is made from the the advice of this post by Odin1420.

Steam updates every-time I launch it...
This appears to be a bug with Steam. Follow the solution in this post here.

Steam just updated - What's New ?
Valve post there changelog for Steam here.

Graphics FAQ

Game's run like C**p on my Macbook/Mac mini/ *Most Macs* with integrated graphics.
Most Integrated graphics cards are not supported by Source games at the moment. Games will run, But the will run poorly. Check out this Support Doc here.
Edit - Integrated graphics are supported, but only (currently) the NVIDIA 9400M and GT320. (Thanks Nano... & Mangr0v3)
Apparently, Newer Macbooks can run Portal. Here.

My game is running slower than usual
Ensure that any background programs are not actively running. Also, ensure you quit any programs which use the GPU (ie: 3D applications like BumpTop)

Tips to raise FPS
Try turning off colour correction (In Source Games) and disabling vSync. - Thanks ikir

Game XXX doesn't play very well, if at all... What can I try to fix this?
RBarris has recommend the following in a forum post - Thanks for telling me about this Kyle6477!
  • Try running the game with -autoconfig in the launch options.
  • Try running it windowed..
  • Try making sure you have no other apps going.
  • Try closing all your Steam client windows and launching the game from the dock icon right-click menu..
Game XXX runs terribly after changing the Video settings. (Source games only)
There appears to be bug in the engine where performance gets a big hit after changing the video settings. Try exiting the game and restarting it. It should work fine.

The hologram screens in HL2 look extremely white and blown out...
There seems to be a problem with the HDR or Bloom engine within the game which makes the holograph screens with Dr.Breen look close to white. This should be fixed soon.

How do I access the Developer Console? - Thanks Nano...
Go Settings>Keyboard and Mouse>Advanced Settings and check the box title "Enable Developer Console"

How do I check how well my game is running? - Thanks Nano...
Open the developer console by hitting the stride key (~) or (>) and type "cl_showfps 2" without quotes. A counter will appear in the top right corner. To remove the counter, reopen the developer console and type "cl_showfps 0"

Game FAQ's

General
Why isn't game XXX on my Steam game list?
New games are being added every Wednesday. For the weekly game release log, Please check the next post.

I'm missing some of/all of the menu text on the game's menu screen... (Source Games only)
It seems as though the antialiasing engine isn't too good on some computers. Rbarris suggests adding "+mat_antialias 0" to the launch options for the game in question.

Why isn't my gamepad/joystick/controller working?- Thanks ultramalakian
Steam for Mac does not currently support any kind of gamepad. However, it has been noted that Vavle are already working in adding gamepad support for Mac.

Games won't load after they automatically validate
There is probably something wrong with the game file, it is usually corrupted. Navigate to "Macintosh HD/Users/YOU/Application Support/Steam/Steam Content/" and delete the file associated with the game you are trying to play. Let it re-download and it should work.

How do I uninstall games in Steam?
To delete a game from Steam. Select the game you wish to delete within the library. Cmd+Click the game name, or right click it. Then Select "Delete Game Content".

I want to try game XXX before I buy it...
Steam is great for this as there is usually a demo available to try a game before you buy it. Tharanon has compiled a list here that contains the latest games with demo's available.

No matter what I do XXX won't download
It may be worth trying to download the game via the Steam Protocol. Type this into Safari "Steam://install/APPID". Remember to remove the quotes and also replace APPID with the application ID of the game you are trying to download. For Example, HL2 is 220 and TF2 is 440.

Counter-Strike : Source
CS:S is taking forever to download...
For some strange reason there are alot of people after the game. Just wait a while and everything should be fine.
Also, Try changing your download region to The Netherlands under Steams's preferences. But remember to change it back afterwards.

The Orange Box

If I purchase "The Orange Box" in real life, Can I use the code to download the Mac version?
Yes. The code links the software with your Steam account. This means that you can download the game pack onto your PC or Mac.

Half-Life 2 and Episodes
My FPS is terribly low... - Taken from Graphics FAQ
Try turning off colour correction and disabling vSync. These can be found under "Options" in-game. - Thanks ikir

The hologram screens in HL2 look extremely white and blown out...
There seems to be a problem with the HDR or Bloom engine within the game which makes the holograph screens with Dr.Breen look close to white. This should be fixed soon.

Portal
I see black portals in Portal!!!!
This was a bug in an update that was pushed to the Portal engine. It should now be fixed. If not, add the following option (Without quotes) to the launch options of the game. "-windowed"

I don't get sound on Portal!!WTH!!!
Again, This is a known, but rare, bug. For the fix, See this support doc.

Team Fortress 2

TF2 randomly crashes whilst I am in a game!
This seems to happen if you are playing the game in a language other the English. The fix at the moment is to run Steam and Source Games in English. Link.

TF2 is taking forever to download...
For some strange reason there are alot of people after the game. Just wait a while and everything should be fine.
Also, Try changing your download region to The Netherlands under Steams's preferences. But remember to change it back afterwards.

Oh Cool... Where can I get these crazy headphones I see people wearing...
The in-game headphones were a special Misc. Promotion item that could be obtained by joining a server from Steam on your Mac. They were available to all classes. The Promotion has now ended.

I want to not re-download all my TF2 stuff...
This post here has some steps to help with this.

TF2 runs slowly after I change to graphics settings...
This seems to be a bug with the engine. Exit the game and relaunch it. It will run better afterwards.

I'm getting some wired graphical issues/TF2 is unplayable due to GFX problems
As suggested by RBarris. Follow these instructions to make the game run.

Torchlight
WTH! Torchlight just crashed mid gameplay. Will my save game be alright?
Your Save game will be fine, however, you will of lost all progress that you completed from when you loaded the game to when it crashed out. Sorry

Misc FAQ

Does Steam work on the new 21.5" and 27" iMac's with the new ATI Radeon HD 4850 chipsets?
Yep, Steam and Source will run well on the latest iMacs

What is the point of this FAQ??
I got annoyed searching for info, So I put it all in one place for others to see

Apps and helpful software

Shameless plugging

[App] Steam Log Collection
This little app will get some log files from your computer and place them in a .zip file. This can then be sent to Steam or posted on the forums to get help from users.

SMCFanContol
This amazing little app will let you modify the fan speeds on your Macbook/Macbook Pro. - Just remember - No one but yourself is responsible if anything happens to your mac.

Dropbox and Cloudy - Names are clickable
Dropbox and Cloudy are great apps to have for saving files to. These are good services to host .zip files that include logs for Steam so that the community can help you.

THE UNARCHIVER
YES, THIS DESERVES CAPITAL LETTERS. IT WILL UNARCHIVE ANYTHING YOU GIVE IT!!!

Source Finagler - This neat little app lets you peek inside of GCF files under OSX

Pre-Made Steam
Some users seem to be having problems with Steam updating. The file in this post should sort this out.
-----
If you are still having problems after reading this FAQ and the forums. Please read the Steam Support site here. Also, if your problem isn't solved. Fell free to drop Steam a support ticket.

Last edited by Ntt4: 04-09-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:23 AM   #2
Ntt4

Game Releases

Wednesday 12th May

Wednesday 19th May

Thanks to bear912 and Kyle6477 for putting this list together !

Wednesday 26th May

Monday 7th June
Thanks to Kyle6477 for noticing this and PM'ing me

Thursday 10th June
Thanks to HerrFlick, Poodle and myself (For once) for notifying me about these releases.
Wednesday 16th June
Wednesday 23rd June
Wednesday 7th July
Monday 12th July
Monday 19th July
Thanks for telling me about this allfunandgames!
Thursday 4th August
Whilst I was on holiday...
Madballs Skins
This will be updated after the sale period! At the moment, It's hard to keep track of everything!

Last edited by Ntt4: 12-31-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Ntt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:35 AM   #3
nano....

Suggested addition for Steam:

Steam won't connect?

Verify you have the necessary ports opened as mentioned in this Steam Support Article

and a suggested addition for Game FAQs:

Ensure that any background programs are not actively running. Also, ensure you quit any programs which use the GPU (ie: 3D applications like BumpTop)

Also, some integrated GPUs are supported and run Source decently, namely the 9400M and the 320M.

Last edited by nano....: 05-15-2010 at 04:42 AM.
nano.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:59 AM   #4
Ntt4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nano.... View Post
Suggested addition for Steam:

Steam won't connect?

Verify you have the necessary ports opened as mentioned in this Steam Support Article

and a suggested addition for Game FAQs:

Also, some integrated GPUs are supported and run Source decently, namely the 9400M and the 320M.
* Added
Old 05-15-2010, 05:29 AM   #5
ikir

Well done!
PS: this is general tip but disabling vsync can boost fps.
ikir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:36 AM   #6
Mangr0v3

Quote:
Game's run like C**p on my Macbook/Mac mini/ *Most Macs* with integrated graphics.
Integrated graphics cards are not supported my Source games at the moment. Games will run, But the will run poorly. Check out this Support Doc here. Also, See post 3.
Integrated graphics are supported, but only (currently) the NVIDIA 9400M and GT320.
Mangr0v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:48 AM   #7
Ntt4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikir View Post
Well done!
PS: this is general tip but disabling vsync can boost fps.
*Added. Thanks for the support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangr0v3 View Post
Integrated graphics are supported, but only (currently) the NVIDIA 9400M and GT320.
*Corrected. Thanks for pointing this out.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:14 AM   #8
Shunnabunich

Option/alt-clicking an icon on the Dock hides all applications except the one you option-clicked (and Steam, since it's off in its own little world and doesn't realize anything happened). Ctrl-clicking, right-clicking, or clicking-and-holding the icon is what gives you the context menu. Cheers!
Shunnabunich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:09 PM   #9
Kyle6477

Would add to the FAQ that portal is free till May 24th, and free as in get once, keep forever even after the free period has expired.
Kyle6477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 01:21 PM   #10
Ntt4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle6477 View Post
Would add to the FAQ that portal is free till May 24th, and free as in get once, keep forever even after the free period has expired.
Added. I wasn't sure about Portal that's why I didn't add it. Thanks for clarifying.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:42 PM   #11
Ninja0Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntt4 View Post
Steam updates every-time I launch it...
This appears to be a bug with Steam. Follow the solution in this post here.
Didn't work...
Ninja0Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 01:46 PM   #12
Ntt4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja0Pain View Post
Didn't work...
Hmm, Worked for me. I'll have a look into this too and see if I can replicate what others are seeing.

Last edited by Ntt4: 05-15-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:20 PM   #13
Ntt4

Sorry to Double post, But I thought that I better add some Newb info to the top of the post. Better safe than sorry.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:52 PM   #14
Mangr0v3

Add "wget" to the list of commands-not-to-run.
Mangr0v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:58 PM   #15
Ntt4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangr0v3 View Post
Add "wget" to the list of commands-not-to-run.
Good thinking. Don't want users to download stuff they don't want

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Steam