Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Source games

Old 05-16-2010, 06:43 AM   #1
Mr.Vegas

CSS Will come to mac

As we know ,CSS is being updating to a new version, its can be call a engine update from 2004 source engine to the orange box engine . And that what Portal use .
So if A game is base on OB engine OR will be updated to OB engine .
then it has a great chance to get to mac .
just guess .

current game that running on OB engine ....
1.TF2
2.DODS
3.EP2 (im not sure that ep1 is OB or not , sorry that i forgot)
4.may be some other game that i cant think out now

Old 05-16-2010, 07:39 AM   #2
hisham.albeik

ALL of Valves Games will come to Mac.

It is said Valve's own entire library will come to Mac. Which could also mean HL1 being ported to OB. (There is already a source port of HL1)

Extending support for HL1 all the way from original to source then to orange box would be surprising. This would show how dedicated Valve is at providing for their customers. I mean most people are asking for Portal, HL2 (+eps), TF2, CS:S, L4D, L4D2. And ofcourse any subsequent games (first of which will be Portal 2, since it has been announced that it'll be the first game to be released for Macs and PCs at the same time.)

This also begs the question: If HL1 will be ported to Mac, then what about Blue Shift, TFC, and Opposing Force. I am aware that both Blue Shift and Opposing force were developed by Gearbox software, while TFC was by Valve.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.
hisham.albeik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:40 AM   #3
benemmanuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hisham.albeik View Post
I really hope so! I'd love to play the whole half-life series on my macbook again.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:26 AM   #4
Moiceichuka

The Steam gave an estimate of when they will launch the css for mac ?
Old 05-16-2010, 12:08 PM   #5
hisham.albeik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moiceichuka View Post
That would be a negatory, but it is assumed that once the CSS update beta on the pc is over the new updated CSS will be available to both platforms.

For the uninformed:
The CSS was supposed to be updated into the new Orange Box source engine after the OB was released. This hasn't happened until we received the now closed limited public beta update. Since the mac versions are supposedly using the latest source engine (hence orange box) once CSS is out of beta and released to the general public, it'll be released on both platforms. If this happens before any other games like (HL2, HL2-EP1, HL1), it will be the first major source port released simultaneously on both platforms (please someone confirm or correct this.), unless they plan to release it to PCs to further test it under more diverse conditions and setup then fix the bugs and release a mostly clean version to Macs.
hisham.albeik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 02:33 PM   #6
Vlad211

Banned
Quote:

It is said Valve's own entire library will come to Mac. Which could also mean HL1 being ported to OB. (There is already a source port of HL1)

Extending support for HL1 all the way from original to source then to orange box would be surprising. This would show how dedicated Valve is at providing for their customers. I mean most people are asking for Portal, HL2 (+eps), TF2, CS:S, L4D, L4D2. And ofcourse any subsequent games (first of which will be Portal 2, since it has been announced that it'll be the first game to be released for Macs and PCs at the same time.)

This also begs the question: If HL1 will be ported to Mac, then what about Blue Shift, TFC, and Opposing Force. I am aware that both Blue Shift and Opposing force were developed by Gearbox software, while TFC was by Valve.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.
The original games that run on the GoldSrc engine such as Half-Life will automatically run on Macs and Linux because they can run in OpenGL which Macs support. There's no reason to port them over if they can run them anyways.
Vlad211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 02:34 PM   #7
dirk0gently

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad211 View Post
The original games that run on the GoldSrc engine such as Half-Life will automatically run on Macs and Linux because they can run in OpenGL which Macs support. There's no reason to port them over if they can run them anyways.
OpenGL on windows and complete compatibility on OS X/Linux are two completely different things.
dirk0gently is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 02:37 PM   #8
MacHarborGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad211 View Post
They won't "Automatically" run on Mac, since they still have to be properly ported and have Mac native binaries. More likely, the remade "Half Life: Source" will be what makes it to the Mac.

Just because something supports OpenGL doesn't mean it instantly is able to run on the Mac
MacHarborGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 06:41 PM   #9
TheMattachine

Quote:
Awesome. My purchase of CS: Complete was not a waste then. Hooray for SteamPlay.
TheMattachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 06:44 PM   #10
Nekomancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moiceichuka View Post
One thing is sure, it will be a Wednesday. Valve always releases on Wednesdays.
Nekomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:55 PM   #11
Info_Phil

I wonder how people who own a mac (me too) would really enjoy playing css?
I mean, shouldn't you already own a PC anyway?
We buy macs because we're statisfied with the stuff we get (iWork,iLife, Logic, Aperture, ...), but who would play CSS?

That's an entirely new "chapter".
I'm just wondering because I never would. Please explain to me.
Info_Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:10 PM   #12
Ambig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info_Phil View Post
We buy macs because we're statisfied with the stuff we get (iWork,iLife, Logic, Aperture, ...), but who would play CSS?

My PC is a desktop and my Mac is a laptop. There's many Mac owners who have Windows installed just to play games.
Ambig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:15 PM   #13
nixcamic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info_Phil View Post

I don't understand, why would being a mac owner make me not want to play CS:S but still want to play Portal or HL?
nixcamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:17 PM   #14
spaceshark

WOAH

Mate slow down, I hate hl: source. Valve epicly failed on it, if hl1 is to be transported to mac it should stay in its traditional home, quake.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:54 AM   #15
EiNZTEiN

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceshark View Post
WOAH

Mate slow down, I hate hl: source. Valve epicly failed on it, if hl1 is to be transported to mac it should stay in its traditional home, quake.
I think it's totally possible they port the original games. The original games were OpenGL and the new engine is busy porting D3D *back* to OpenGL to run on all platforms. I think Valve considers HL:Source a different game altogether. At least we all hope so…
EiNZTEiN is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Source games