Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Third Party games

Old 05-19-2010, 09:32 AM   #1
akemsley

Game release time

Well, it's Wednesday morning business hours in Washington already.... anybody know exactly what time Valve is supposed to release these weekly new Mac games on Steam?

Old 05-19-2010, 09:49 AM   #2
Klingon00

There's been no set time, but most releases seem to happen around 2pm PST, so I'd hope to expect something around 5pm EST (My local time). That is also the time of day when Steam for Mac happened to be released BTW.

Last edited by Klingon00: 05-19-2010 at 09:51 AM.
Klingon00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:52 AM   #3
akemsley

Well, I guess there's no use sitting in front of my computer and clicking on the "refresh" button in my browser every two minutes then. Thanks.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:04 AM   #4
FuzzyPuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klingon00 View Post
There's been no set time, but most releases seem to happen around 2pm PST, so I'd hope to expect something around 5pm EST (My local time). That is also the time of day when Steam for Mac happened to be released BTW.
it was 12 PST.
FuzzyPuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:34 AM   #5
Klingon00

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPuffin View Post
it was 12 PST.
Was it? Now that you mention it I think you are right. With all that time zone conversion going on in my head, I probably remembered it wrong.
Klingon00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:29 PM   #6
smatten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klingon00 View Post
Was it? Now that you mention it I think you are right. With all that time zone conversion going on in my head, I probably remembered it wrong.
This PST fixation is really doing users in Asia and Europe a disservice. Not that it's a major disaster getting the games one day later but if there's no technical reason for not making the games available at say noon relative to one's time zone then I think Valve might just as well do this. The other approach really betrays a very US/PST-centric approach to doing things. Steam is a global service and it ought to work as one regarding features that work to the benefit of the user not just those areas where Valve wants to take away rights from the user based on geography (such as differential pricing and availability based on geography).
smatten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:24 AM   #7
akemsley

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by smatten View Post
This PST fixation is really doing users in Asia and Europe a disservice. Not that it's a major disaster getting the games one day later but if there's no technical reason for not making the games available at say noon relative to one's time zone then I think Valve might just as well do this.
I agree. I wanted to stay awake until the new games come out so I can have them downloading while I sleep. Well, I ended up staying up until 5 AM my time before the games finally came out... but still no TF2 or CS:S... totally wasn't worth it.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Third Party games